Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-27-2012, 08:45 AM   #46
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
TAv exposure comp

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
Using TAv mode doesn't allow you to set +/- on EV changes. This is logic for the M-mode where TAv-mode is coming from (putting iso- to auto), but with TAv changing meteringsettings is a good way for creating the light you want.

For iso-settings in auto: We can only adjust the max iso, but it would be great to also set a minimum iso in this mode.
I suspect these are casualties of the single e-dial design and associated simplification. I'm a little confused by your description but it sounds like the compromise of single e-dial and TAv is that there's no exposure comp available in TAv or M -- you'd need either distinct buttons for aperture vs. exposure comp, or you'd need that single button to cycle among shutter/aperture/exp-comp, but that's pretty awkward.

Another approach could be when in 'M' mode, when you hit the ISO button you can enter exposure comp there, at least it would be available. This would be sort of like how flash comp is available from the flash settings. I think this is a reasonable approach, but might be a little odd to have the setting only available in 'M' (I suppose it could be available in all modes...

09-27-2012, 01:29 PM   #47
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by AndrewG NY Quote
Optio A40's sensor is much smaller than any DSLR -- it had 1/1.8" sensor, IIRC. (I have a similar Optio A30).

There are more manual controls on the Optio A30/40 than some P&S (more than I-10, for example, but less than Q) but there are quite a few limitations as well (for example, there's no Av mode, and in manual you can only pick between two aperture settings).
Thank you - I stnaad corrected (and added and EDIT). My wife took my A40 just a few days afetr I got it. IIRC I like the manual controls (limited thought they be) but it was a bit noisy). I still think it was the best compact camera I've ever had )and I got an i10 as a novelty).

Looking at the Q system.
09-27-2012, 03:09 PM   #48
Pentaxian

I would like exposure compensation in TAv mode and an option to change colour of focus peaking. Also, focus peaking in video (if hardware permits).
I would like smaller improvements, though. Just faster CD AF, maybe peaking that shows DoF better or heightens sensitivity when there is "a lot" of stuff in-focus.
Oh, and it would be great if they added AF modes. Face detection (already has this, right?), but also something like "landscape" ("optimized for taking landscape shots) and "most items in-focus" (where camera would try to make as many things on the screen in-focus) would be interesting. Innovative stuff like that could give this camera a little edge, compared to others.
10-03-2012, 08:46 PM   #49
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Do you guys think a firmware update will actually happen for the K-01? Or is this really just a "wish" list.

10-04-2012, 01:28 AM   #50
Forum Member

Bit of both.
There will be a firmware update, but probably very basic.
Past Pentax firmware updates have been minor bug fixes and things like SDXC compatibility.
We can dream of major groundbreaking improvements via firmware, but realistically they won't happen.
10-04-2012, 02:57 AM   #51
Pentaxian

But maybe for the K-01 they will, because it isn't selling well and they might try to spice it up a bit, make it more attractive by offering a big firmware update.
Or I am just dreaming.
01-10-2013, 03:57 AM   #52
Veteran Member

One thing they could fix is not having bracketed shots using the IR remote like the Q has. You have to press the shutter release to take bracketed shots, simple fix I would think.

Sound recording meters in video mode and manual adjustment rather than having to use the built in AVC.

Chris
01-10-2013, 11:57 AM   #53
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Lots good and not-so-good ideas...

- "exposure compensation in TAv mode" -- i.e. allow EV compensation when using Auto ISO in M Mode. That would be useful.

- "when reviewing pictures they have to turn on the screen when tilting the camera" -- ??? don't understand the requirement, how can you be reviewing a picture when the screen it turned OFF ?

- "bigger buffer in DNG and higher speed" -- That's a hardware issue. I doubt Pentax is purposely crippling the buffering size for some obscure reason.
I don't believe in the conspiracy theories.

- "doesn't do Hi-speed continious shooting with 6 fps" -- There's a physical limit that will constain the reliability of the data transfer from buffer to memory. I suspect that increasing the frame rate beyond a certain point may lead to un-predictable loss of data. Why couldn't Pentax provide the same buffering capability than even their entry level DSLR is a question. Perhaps too much bandwidth is taken up by the LV.

- "macro lens autofocusess really really slowly" -- A hardware limitation for the most part. If you pre-focus manually beyond the subject first, chances are that focus will lock rather quickly, but otherwise, it has to come a long way back before it can realises that it's going the wrong direction. This is true for PDAF as well, hence why some macro lenses provide a limiter function.

- "5 frame bracketing" -- can be done via firmware, but limited by buffer size if shooting RAW, which is perhaps why Pentax chose to limit it to what can be captured in RAW.

- "up to 14x magnification during lv" -- can be done via firmware, but to what purpose if not focusing ?

- "'digital zoom' during video" -- can be done via firmware, but chances are this may be limited by the bandwidth available to process the data during video. So not entirely software controlled, but also hardware limitation may prevent it.

- "enable ir-remote in 'bulb'-mode" -- IR-remote is available in Bulb mode already, just not from the back of the camera since there is no IR sensor on the back.

- "focus-bracketing" -- Like purposely being slightly out of focus back and front ? Interesting idea.

- "mic-jack to attach a wired remote" -- May not be possible via software only; USB remove may be more feasible.

- "P-TTL wireless flash compatibility" -- Got to wonder why this isn't there already.

- "AF Autozoom only works with auto focus lenses" -- I guess that means to provide continuous focus tracking with Manual Lens when the focus is set to AF and the shutter 1/2 pressed, which would also enable Catch-In Focus capability. That would be nice and feasible I think.

- "clean HDMI out (no overlays) live from the sensor at minimum 720p" -- Most likely a hardware limitation.

- "PEF format" -- I like it better than DNG too.

- "longer battery life" -- Does that mean more energy conservation options ?

- "better tracking AF" -- Hopefully AF algorithm will continue to improve.

- "high speed synch with the built-in flash" -- A hardware limitation.

- "bracketed shots using the IR remote" -- Surprised this does not work, can't see a reason why it couldn't.

- "Focus Peaking by default when switched to MF" -- would be a good option.

- "P Shift regardless of Green Button setting" -- Wouldn't that be confusing ?

- "Focus Peaking in Movie mode" -- Would be nice, but possible ?

- "Audio level meter in Movie mode" -- Would be nice, but possible ?

- "Full button customization for AF/AE-L button" -- Why not !

- "Stability" -- Most likely related to the SD card being used i.e. linked to SDXC compatibility There's a lot of not so reliable SD cards out there, and that was the cause of many lock ups on my EX-1.

- "option to change colour of focus peaking" -- That would be nice and easy.

- "faster CD AF" -- Faster always better...

- "added AF modes" -- That could be interesting.

- "Provide hardware SR during Video" -- notwithstanding the noise that generates, some may not require in-camera audio during movie mode and prefer hardware SR to digital SR, hence avoiding cropping the image.

- "ND Split Filter Effect" -- would be nice. Takes 2 images, the first one under-exposed by a set -EV (relative to the camera current EV setting), and combines them (aware of orientation) as per specified split pattern (top 1/3, middle, bottom 1/3, center reverse). Sort of like HDR, but with regular DR (i.e. no artificial HDR effect).

Last edited by regor; 01-10-2013 at 08:18 PM. Reason: to clarify some wishes/requirements.
01-10-2013, 12:15 PM   #54
Veteran Member

Take this list and send it to Pentax.
Even though some might be hard to do, this will add to their list of "what end-users want". Hopefully used in future projects ...
01-10-2013, 12:24 PM   #55

Want option to use sensor shift Shake reduction in movie mode instead of the new "Movie SR" where the shake reduction is digital by moving the imaging pixels around on the sensor. I understand they disabled the sensor shift SR because of the noise it makes during movies, but at least it should be enabled or have an option when using an external mic. The digital movie SR is not nearly as good at reducing shake and causes blur and jello effect at lower shutter speeds in movies.
01-10-2013, 01:02 PM   #56
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by regor Quote
- "exposure compensation in TAv mode" -- ??? There is no TAv Mode on the K-01. There is a Tv, an Av and a P mode, all of which have exposure compensation available already.
K-01 does have TAv mode. Go to M and turn on auto iso. Now you have TAv, it even says so on the screen. No exposure compensation, though.

The hi-speed thing is also a problem. Lo speed is pretty slow. The K-r allows a much faster hi speed shooting. Yes it might be a hardware thing, but if it is, its kind of a mistake to have such a slow buffer. And if its a firmware thing (which is not impossible), it should be fixed. Just saying, there is a huge difference between hi and lo speed.

Another problem is the movie mode crops the image even more (due to digital SR?), so you get an even narrower angle. Since you're already on a crop sensor, this is pretty annoying, but I guess its not the end of the world.

I love the K-01, but I think little improvements like the ones listed could really make it much more competitive. If there won't be a K-02, they should at least make the K-01 kick ass. Have this line of cameras go out with a bang. They already did great with the firmware update that they already released - it improved the AF a lot
01-10-2013, 01:10 PM   #57

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
Another problem is the movie mode crops the image even more (due to digital SR?), so you get an even narrower angle. Since you're already on a crop sensor, this is pretty annoying, but I guess its not the end of the world.
Yes, the crop is due to the digital SR, because it needs those extra pixels on the border to move the image around to stabilize. If they allowed an option for regular sensor shift SR, then the crop should go away also.
01-10-2013, 01:32 PM   #58
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
K-01 does have TAv mode. Go to M and turn on auto iso. Now you have TAv, it even says so on the screen. No exposure compensation, though.
Now I understand, tx. I've changed the requirement in my list to reflect this.
01-10-2013, 08:24 PM   #59
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I would love to see a "ND Split Filter" effect. Sort of like HDR, w/o the artificial HDR effect. i.e. the camera takes 2 images, the first one being under-exposed by a set negative EV delta (-1, -2, -4, or -6 EV from current setting,... i.e. if the camera is set to -2 EV, and -2 EV delta is selected, the first image is under-exposed by -4EV while the second image is under-exposed by -2 EV), and then combines the two images according to the selected split pattern (Hard or Soft) and position of the split (Top 1/3, Center, Bottom 1/3, or reverse center, i.e. top and bottom remain normal, and center only is under-exposed).
01-10-2013, 11:06 PM   #60
Veteran Member

Well, since you can do RAW bracketing.. ie, 3 RAW pictures right after one another, they should un-gimp the single picture shoot speed. Absolutely no reason for it to be so slow.