Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-11-2013, 07:30 PM   #61
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by regor Quote
Lots good and not-so-good ideas...

- "exposure compensation in TAv mode" -- i.e. allow EV compensation when using Auto ISO in M Mode. That would be useful.

- "when reviewing pictures they have to turn on the screen when tilting the camera" -- ??? don't understand the requirement, how can you be reviewing a picture when the screen it turned OFF ?

- "bigger buffer in DNG and higher speed" -- That's a hardware issue. I doubt Pentax is purposely crippling the buffering size for some obscure reason.
I don't believe in the conspiracy theories.

- "doesn't do Hi-speed continious shooting with 6 fps" -- There's a physical limit that will constain the reliability of the data transfer from buffer to memory. I suspect that increasing the frame rate beyond a certain point may lead to un-predictable loss of data. Why couldn't Pentax provide the same buffering capability than even their entry level DSLR is a question. Perhaps too much bandwidth is taken up by the LV.

- "macro lens autofocusess really really slowly" -- A hardware limitation for the most part. If you pre-focus manually beyond the subject first, chances are that focus will lock rather quickly, but otherwise, it has to come a long way back before it can realises that it's going the wrong direction. This is true for PDAF as well, hence why some macro lenses provide a limiter function.

- "5 frame bracketing" -- can be done via firmware, but limited by buffer size if shooting RAW, which is perhaps why Pentax chose to limit it to what can be captured in RAW.

- "up to 14x magnification during lv" -- can be done via firmware, but to what purpose if not focusing ?

- "'digital zoom' during video" -- can be done via firmware, but chances are this may be limited by the bandwidth available to process the data during video. So not entirely software controlled, but also hardware limitation may prevent it.

- "enable ir-remote in 'bulb'-mode" -- IR-remote is available in Bulb mode already, just not from the back of the camera since there is no IR sensor on the back.

- "focus-bracketing" -- Like purposely being slightly out of focus back and front ? Interesting idea.

- "mic-jack to attach a wired remote" -- May not be possible via software only; USB remove may be more feasible.

- "P-TTL wireless flash compatibility" -- Got to wonder why this isn't there already.

- "AF Autozoom only works with auto focus lenses" -- I guess that means to provide continuous focus tracking with Manual Lens when the focus is set to AF and the shutter 1/2 pressed, which would also enable Catch-In Focus capability. That would be nice and feasible I think.

- "clean HDMI out (no overlays) live from the sensor at minimum 720p" -- Most likely a hardware limitation.

- "PEF format" -- I like it better than DNG too.

- "longer battery life" -- Does that mean more energy conservation options ?

- "better tracking AF" -- Hopefully AF algorithm will continue to improve.

- "high speed synch with the built-in flash" -- A hardware limitation.

- "bracketed shots using the IR remote" -- Surprised this does not work, can't see a reason why it couldn't.

- "Focus Peaking by default when switched to MF" -- would be a good option.

- "P Shift regardless of Green Button setting" -- Wouldn't that be confusing ?

- "Focus Peaking in Movie mode" -- Would be nice, but possible ?

- "Audio level meter in Movie mode" -- Would be nice, but possible ?

- "Full button customization for AF/AE-L button" -- Why not !

- "Stability" -- Most likely related to the SD card being used i.e. linked to SDXC compatibility There's a lot of not so reliable SD cards out there, and that was the cause of many lock ups on my EX-1.

- "option to change colour of focus peaking" -- That would be nice and easy.

- "faster CD AF" -- Faster always better...

- "added AF modes" -- That could be interesting.

- "Provide hardware SR during Video" -- notwithstanding the noise that generates, some may not require in-camera audio during movie mode and prefer hardware SR to digital SR, hence avoiding cropping the image.

- "ND Split Filter Effect" -- would be nice. Takes 2 images, the first one under-exposed by a set -EV (relative to the camera current EV setting), and combines them (aware of orientation) as per specified split pattern (top 1/3, middle, bottom 1/3, center reverse). Sort of like HDR, but with regular DR (i.e. no artificial HDR effect).
- "focus-bracketing" -- Like purposely being slightly out of focus back and front ? Interesting idea.
The idea is to overcome shortcomings in the AF system by taking a burst of 3 shots with adjustable front and back focusing values, similar to exposure bracketing. This would be great for all cameras, especially when shooting sports, kids etc. and to overcome the back/front focusing issues of some DSLRs. All my cameras carry a top-notch 64gb SD card and I'm quite happy to take any number of bursts to get that one good shot.
- "P Shift regardless of Green Button setting" -- Wouldn't that be confusing ?
No. That's how it works on Pentax DSLRs. On the K-01 you only get P-shift if you set the Green button to "Green Button". Try it. Consequently my Green Button is set on "Green Button" on my K-01, but not on my DSLR.
- "Focus Peaking in Movie mode" -- Would be nice, but possible ?
Can't see why not. More critical than "nice" as there is no AF. Also can't see why brilliant focus peaking data can't be integrated into AF algorithm. Hybrid FP/CAF would make K-01 a functional AF camera.
- "Audio level meter in Movie mode" -- Would be nice, but possible ?
Again, bit more than "nice". There are a couple of unecessary limitations that prevent the K-01 from being a perfect video camera. No headphone jack means no monitoring of audio, so it's totally hit & miss until playback.

IMHO the K-30 is the best Pentax right now. I bought a K-01 cheap primarily for my legacy lenses and it has proven brilliant in that role with focus peaking. I would love Pentax to improve the K-01 with what is possible via firmware. Their biggest asset may be loyalty and it would be a shame to squander that by ignoring exisiting fans.

01-12-2013, 10:55 AM   #62
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisJowett Quote
- "focus-bracketing" -- Like purposely being slightly out of focus back and front ? Interesting idea. The idea is to overcome shortcomings in the AF system by taking a burst of 3 shots with adjustable front and back focusing values, similar to exposure bracketing. This would be great for all cameras, especially when shooting sports, kids etc. and to overcome the back/front focusing issues of some DSLRs. All my cameras carry a top-notch 64gb SD card and I'm quite happy to take any number of bursts to get that one good shot.
This is also useful if you want to do focus stacking or if you want to take multiple shots of the same frame with different focus points. Its not just a "bad AF, better take more shots" technique.
01-12-2013, 02:55 PM   #63
Veteran Member

I haven't read all of this, so this may have been asked/wished for already. I would like the ability to shoot a B&W jpeg (so as to view the picture in B&W) along with a RAW file; this would give one the ability to compose in B&W and still have the raw data.
01-12-2013, 03:12 PM   #64

QuoteOriginally posted by PeterAM Quote
I haven't read all of this, so this may have been asked/wished for already. I would like the ability to shoot a B&W jpeg (so as to view the picture in B&W) along with a RAW file; this would give one the ability to compose in B&W and still have the raw data.
I think that is already possible. Just set the camera to RAW+, and set the custom image setting to B&W. It will save a B&W jpeg, but also the original color RAW file.

01-13-2013, 06:08 PM   #65
Veteran Member

I think that the manual states that if you are using a filter or HDR the format is locked to JPEG; I assume that means JPEG only. I'll give it a try.
01-13-2013, 06:12 PM   #66
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
And if that doesn't work, I think you can always save the raw data of the last jpeg you took. Sure, its not super practical to do that every time, but it can be useful if you just take one shot or two in a certain style.