Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-07-2012, 01:39 AM - 1 Like   #1
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K-01 hands-on + test videos

Here are our official unofficial remarks about the K-01, as well as a few videos showing its continuous shooting and AF abilities:

Pentax K-01: Initial Hands-On Impressions - Pentax Camera News & Rumors - PentaxForums.com

Off the record, I am quite impressed by this camera, as it performs better than the current DSLRs in many areas, including image write and review speed and live view latency. The unlimited continuous shooting buffer is also nice, though they could have allowed for more than 6 frames at maximum FPS...

My favorite thing so far is that it doesn't slow down even when the buffer is full: you can continue composing, focusing, and shooting at will (though at a maximum of 2FPS until at least some of the bugger gets written to the card). The AF is quite good overall (more than adequate for most purposes); my main complaint is that it makes screwdrive AF lenses even louder than it would be on a DSLR as the camera has to do more guesswork. The new CDAF algorithm always moves the lens forward a bit, then back a bit, then rotates it until it locks focus. During this process, the AF motor doesn't operate at full speed (most of the time), unfortunately.

The design is pretty good in real life, and I'm sure some people will like that the entire menu system is branded with the K-01 logo...

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

03-07-2012, 02:19 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Congratulations on the new camera. Thanks for the detils.
03-07-2012, 04:14 AM   #3
ogl
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Here are our official unofficial remarks about the K-01, as well as a few videos showing its continuous shooting and AF abilities:

The design is pretty good in real life, and I'm sure some people will like that the entire menu system is branded with the K-01 logo...
What about DNG shooting?
03-07-2012, 09:23 AM   #4
hcc
Pentaxian

Adam,
Great work. Thank you.
I look forward to read the ful review.

03-07-2012, 09:48 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Haha...

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
I'm sure some people will like that the entire menu system is branded with the K-01 logo...
This is pretty funny to me since I started a recent thread about logos and start up screens on the K-5 and K-r. There are only Pentax logos on the front and back of the K-5, and only on the front of the K-r. Both not counting the nameplates on their bottoms of course. There is also no start up screens for either model. All of this is a good thing as far as I am concerned, but maybe not so good for a company that needs to market itself more?

So there is a K-01 logo on every menu screen? In other words, do the menu pages look different than the typical ones that we see on the DSLR's?
03-07-2012, 12:36 PM   #6
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
Yes, the design from the box lid is used as a background for all menu screens.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 

Adam

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

03-07-2012, 12:47 PM   #7
Lens Buying Addict

That is not at all offensive, nor grossly inconsistent with Pentax hsitory. I might be less sanguine if it had Mark Newson in orange, though.
03-07-2012, 01:38 PM   #8
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
Here is another video showing how well instant review works in continuous mode, as well as the half-second recovery time. Sorry for the K-5 retarded clicking noise. (the video is still uploading so it might still be a while).

Adam

03-07-2012, 01:40 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Adam, how does a jpeg extracted from the video look? Is quality very poor or rather decent?
(Manual Page 122)
03-07-2012, 01:59 PM   #10
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
It'll take a look at this later today. It's probably what you'd expect TBH.

Adam

03-07-2012, 02:26 PM   #11
Veteran Member

I think that screen is rather nice and adds to it. I agree that if it had been orange or had MN's signature it would have been different but that's very tastefully done IMHO.
03-07-2012, 02:49 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Great to hear the K-01 is responsive even while wrting a burst to the card. I assume this is due to the new "Prime M" image process engine? I get frustrated with my K-5 lack of responsiveness after it's realed off a burst of shots, it's one thing that really needs to be improved in the K-3.
03-07-2012, 03:36 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Are there any videos showing the focus peaking yet? My main interest in one of these bodies would spike if manual focus was improved using FP on fast manual primes.
03-07-2012, 04:02 PM - 1 Like   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bossa Quote
Are there any videos showing the focus peaking yet? My main interest in one of these bodies would spike if manual focus was improved using FP on fast manual primes.
See