Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-07-2012, 09:08 PM   #16

Does anyone else have trouble with this recent trend toward ill-prepared, unscripted, poorly-produced, conversational camera reviews. Indeed, why should anyone take this guy seriously if he can't even take his own vocation seriously?

03-07-2012, 09:28 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mervis Quote
Does anyone else have trouble with this recent trend toward ill-prepared, unscripted, poorly-produced, conversational camera reviews. Indeed, why should anyone take this guy seriously if he can't even take his own vocation seriously?
It's fine for something labelled "Quick 1st Look".
03-07-2012, 09:32 PM   #18

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ibkc Quote
I was actually impressed that not only did he not make fun of the exterior controls for looking like a "toy"
I agree. At first I didn't like the buttons on the K-01, at all. They still don't impress me as the classiest looking buttons ever designed, but I do now consider them to be very utilitarian and welcoming, and I like that a lot (as Thoreau said, "Simplify, simplify"). I'm still not partial to the front of the camera, though, especially with the DA 40 XS lens on it. It reminds me too much of this (which millions of people consider beautiful, I might add ).

QuoteOriginally posted by ibkc Quote
he correctly pointed out the similarities between the K-01's design and that of the Leica Minilux.
The Leica comparison definitely caught my attention too.
03-07-2012, 11:03 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
This quick first look video is just fine. That faulty switch is sometimes common among different kinds of camera brands and models, sometimes it just happens, especially on its first release. And the comparison between the Leica is really similar, but it's OK, that doesn't bother me at all.
For me, I don't complain on the K-01 comparing to K-5 or K-7. The K-01 is not a DSLR. Well, for one who prefer to shoot just stills and through a viewfinder, one should look up to DSLR lineups. This K-01 is a different lineup, and for me I see this as a good camera for making videos. That's why I'm going to get one for my videography, and I will use my K-7 for stills. And in time, for sure, Pentax will bring out new updates on the K-01's firmware to fix other problems. =)

03-07-2012, 11:05 PM - 1 Like   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Who is Steve Huff, and why should I care enough about him to bother watching a 9 minute video of his?
QuoteOriginally posted by joe.penn Quote
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-q-forum/160455-glowing-q-review-steve-huff.html

LMAO - he's the same person you posted about in September of last year, too funny...
HA HA HA You, kind Sir, have just won the internets.
03-07-2012, 11:37 PM   #21
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Meh, I'm tempted to blow this crap away from PF. Stay tuned for a real review of this camera. Definitely not "most of the same settings as on the K-5". It's got a lot of new stuff and the rest is taken from the K-r tongue

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
03-08-2012, 02:38 AM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Well he never got the name of the camera correct in 9 minutes. Its not called a K1. Other wise it was ok.
thanks
barondla

03-08-2012, 05:06 AM   #23
Veteran Member

I never know that the Leica Digilux 1 looks so much alike to K-01!

03-08-2012, 05:19 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Steve Huff says the K-01 is "Fat". But it looks like he likes the Leica Digilux 1?

Digilux 1 | STEVE HUFF PHOTOS

The K-01 measures 121 x 79 x 59mm.
The Digilux-1 measures 127 x 83.3 x 67.4mm.

I sense "sexual" discrimination here??

Edit: DPreview says the Leica Digilux is "The clear, modular styling of the LEICA DIGILUX 1 gives the camera a highly individual look. Its pure lines and reduction to the essentials are inherited from the clear design of Leica's legendary rangefinder cameras. "The robust and yet extremely light-weight magnesium alloy body and the classic controls accentuate its timeless elegance," says product designer Professor Achim Heine."

More "sexual" discrimination?

Last edited by raider; 03-08-2012 at 05:27 AM.
03-08-2012, 05:43 AM   #25

QuoteOriginally posted by raider Quote
Steve Huff says the K-01 is "Fat". But it looks like he likes the Leica Digilux 1?

Digilux 1 | STEVE HUFF PHOTOS

The K-01 measures 121 x 79 x 59mm.
The Digilux-1 measures 127 x 83.3 x 67.4mm.

I sense "sexual" discrimination here??

Edit: DPreview says the Leica Digilux is "The clear, modular styling of the LEICA DIGILUX 1 gives the camera a highly individual look. Its pure lines and reduction to the essentials are inherited from the clear design of Leica's legendary rangefinder cameras. "The robust and yet extremely light-weight magnesium alloy body and the classic controls accentuate its timeless elegance," says product designer Professor Achim Heine."

More "sexual" discrimination?
BWAH-HA-HA-HA! Great find, sir!

Two things:

1. I will bet you anything that Mr. Newson knows about the Digilux and that he took a few cues from it when he was designing the K-01. I mean, what industrial designer worth his salt, when faced with designing a camera for the first time, WOULDN'T look to Leica first for ideas and inspiration?

2. Steve Huff still deserves the props I gave him for drawing attention to the similarities between the design of the two cameras rather than dismissing the the K-01 as a toy based on its exterior appearance, but considering what a Leica fanboy he seems to be (and I cannot blame him for that; I am a Leica fangirl and if I were wealthy, I'd have several Leicas myself) I'm now slightly disappointed that he didn't take the comparison a little bit further. Oh, wel ....
03-08-2012, 07:22 AM - 1 Like   #26
Veteran Member

Crikey! Steve's not wrong about the Leica comparison. Here's another Leica cue: check the typeface used for M9 and Pentax:

03-08-2012, 08:25 AM   #27
Veteran Member

Hmm.....I find one thing similar already......the Leica logo is red....so is the Pentax K-01's SR logo.

Yep. The 2 cameras definitely look alike
03-08-2012, 08:28 AM - 1 Like   #28
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by asw66 Quote
Crikey! Steve's not wrong about the Leica comparison. Here's another Leica cue: check the typeface used for M9 and Pentax:
Uhmmm . . . . the Pentax typeface is a restoration of the previously-retired 80's (I think) Pentax typeface, as discussed on PF earlier. I should think we would compliment Leica for referencing Pentax's strong tradition of ME/MESuper, MX and LX.
03-08-2012, 11:56 AM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
How come the aperture of the lens keeps moving as he holds the camera? It's like the camera is shooting at a set interval. Also it is pretty dumb not to set the camera up before shooting (language, time, date, etc.). Fail...
The aperture is probably adjusting to give a reasonable live view image. I think Olympus does this too, to keep the exposure within the sensor limits.

As for "fail", I am fairly certain you guys would not be bitching about the small things if he had heaped praise on the camera. Be grateful you have all this stuff available to you for free instead of complaining.
03-08-2012, 02:24 PM   #30

QuoteOriginally posted by mervis Quote
I couldn't agree more. Even for a "first look" there's no excuse for a video to be this bad. I had difficulty watching the whole thing. This is my first exposure to Steve Huff, and my impression is that he is obnoxious and not as funny as he thinks he is, that he is not credible, and that his site is more of a vanity project than anything else. Seriously, the video starts off with him making a bad joke (I think) and waving the "K1" around outside of the frame. Why should I watch this?