Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 10 Likes Search this Thread
03-09-2012, 01:05 PM   #46
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote
Was my complaint misplaced? Is it a valid comparison between a K-01 and a k-5
Well it is what it is so complaining accomplishes nothing.
Comparing it to the K5 works for me and probably most K5 owners.

03-09-2012, 01:27 PM   #47
Veteran Member

I must say now (something a little out of the subject )
I saw his Leica M9 review , as well I just looked again on some other Leica's pictures.
now granted some of the most amazing photographers in the world shoot with the M9 but if for one second you ignore the amazing compositions and subjects and just look at the technique

Leica M9 = $7000 + Leica 35mm f2 $3500

V.S

K5= about $1000 + a FA31mm LTD about $1000

color, 3d effect , rendering , sharpness , over all feel I am not sure which one I like better , the only thing is that the Leica being a FF will give you amazing opportunities for cropping . but really I know this is a holly issue and I should not even say that , but I just not sure that what you get extra worth $8000
03-09-2012, 01:47 PM   #48
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Well, the thing is that a lot of cameras are "good enough" now that you would be hard pressed to see a worthwhile difference between them. To add to your example, I bet a Panasonic G3 + 25/1.4 would probably give you similarly excellent results, and it is even smaller and cheaper. There are some nuances to Leica glass that is hard to beat, and the optical performance is arguably better than most everything else, but I wonder in how many shots it really makes a visible difference.

Of course, if you want the ultimate, ditch the Leica and get an Alpa with a digital back...
03-09-2012, 03:38 PM   #49
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pingflood Quote
Well, the thing is that a lot of cameras are "good enough" now that you would be hard pressed to see a worthwhile difference between them. To add to your example, I bet a Panasonic G3 + 25/1.4 would probably give you similarly excellent results, and it is even smaller and cheaper. There are some nuances to Leica glass that is hard to beat, and the optical performance is arguably better than most everything else, but I wonder in how many shots it really makes a visible difference.

Of course, if you want the ultimate, ditch the Leica and get an Alpa with a digital back...
omg I never heard about this camera , but just watched some of the videos on youtube , but the time I will get to take a picture with this camera most of my subjects will grow old.

but I know what you mean , for an extra $8000 I am assuming some people can see a big difference , I cant thou any way ,

03-09-2012, 05:24 PM   #50
Col
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by redpigeons Quote
omg I never heard about this camera , but just watched some of the videos on youtube , but the time I will get to take a picture with this camera most of my subjects will grow old.

but I know what you mean , for an extra $8000 I am assuming some people can see a big difference , I cant thou any way ,
Oh you can... from the front
03-09-2012, 06:43 PM   #51
Veteran Member

I have a Leica Digilux 1. When I first saw the K-01 I thought they had same similarity in design. The Digilux 1 had great controls. In manual mode the four way controller became how you changed aperture and shutter speed. I find this much better than the wheels on the K-5. I wish we had the option of making the four way controller function that way on the K-5 for manual use. Plus the Digilux 1's LCD view would adjust to show what the exposure looked like when you changed settings. This was tremendously useful in quickly dialing in proper exposure.

This review if you can call it a review was ridiculous. Apparently Mr Huff has never handled a brick in his life if he thinks the K-01 is bigger than a brick. The reason the K-01 froze on him was that he was taking the lenses on and off without turning the camera on and off just prior to when it froze.
03-10-2012, 01:26 PM   #52
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Col Quote
Oh you can... from the front
Hipster fashion

03-16-2012, 03:43 PM - 1 Like   #53
Veteran Member

Steve Huff K-01 full review

The Pentax K-01 Camera Review – Design Masterpiece or Design Fail? | STEVE HUFF PHOTOS

full review by Steve huff with sample photos
03-16-2012, 09:44 PM   #54
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I must say now (something a little out of the subject )
I saw his Leica M9 review , as well I just looked again on some other Leica's pictures.
now granted some of the most amazing photographers in the world shoot with the M9 but if for one second you ignore the amazing compositions and subjects and just look at the technique

Leica M9 = $7000 + Leica 35mm f2 $3500

V.S

K5= about $1000 + a FA31mm LTD about $1000

color, 3d effect , rendering , sharpness , over all feel I am not sure which one I like better , the only thing is that the Leica being a FF will give you amazing opportunities for cropping . but really I know this is a holly issue and I should not even say that , but I just not sure that what you get extra worth $8000
In short, it is.
03-17-2012, 06:28 AM   #55

That was amusing. I actually really appreciate his style of "review", which is to go out and just use the camera in real-life shooting situations instead of setting up elaborate tests in his living room (don't get me wrong - the latter kind of review is crucial when performed/written by professionals - it's just nice to have a different kind of review every now and then). His ultra-conversational tone of writing - it's almost like he uses voice-to-text software and leaves it at that - is downright funny, although it gets confusing and frustrating because he repeats himself a lot. His verdict - honest and fair enough.

I wound up liking the guy a lot. He's a fanboy of cameras that I can only salivate over in pictures; I can't afford a 40 or 50-year-old Leica in working condition with corresponding lenses, let alone a current model. However despite that, he seems quite unpretentious, and I think I'm going to bookmark his page and check back in occasionally, simply because I like his enthusiasm for photography and cameras in general.
03-17-2012, 07:06 AM   #56
Pentaxian

Kinda expected as I mentioned earlier.
Not his kind of fashion statement and camera.

Honest enough review though from his standpoint.

Total Pentax USA marketing failure to me.
People like Ned really need to keep on their toes and wake up.
1. Hung camera (in the first preview video)
2. Sent only a 40XS, when they could have easily sent a cheap legacy 50/1.4 (to show off legacy support), plus a not as cheap DA21 or 70 to better show off how nicely sized a overall K-01 system is.
3. Can't they let him try it for longer?
4. US RRP is atrocious! ~$900 (its only ~$758 here in Singapore with DA40XS)
5. Marketing again failed to brief Steve that is a pretty cheap camera aimed at a entry level (can't they tell him that in their correspondence?); and it comes with a good 40XS (not a cheap kit zoom)

In the end, it gets compared to more expensive NEX7 and even EP3 and gets whacked.

Last edited by pinholecam; 03-17-2012 at 07:11 AM.
03-17-2012, 07:17 AM   #57
Pentaxian

Pretty funny ... and pretty sad, too

QuoteOriginally posted by Basset Quote
Well, it remains to be seen whether the glitch is a rarity. For perspective, read this sad tale from a Leica M9 user and responses from other unfortunates. This from a $7k camera body. BTW, love the guy in the thread who advises purchasing a second M9 as a backup while the first is in the shopt.
Bonjour,

I laughed out loud on this one ... quelle connerie !!!

Salut, John le Frog
03-17-2012, 07:24 AM   #58
Pentaxian

Cool ... get tats in your fingers Leica users

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Hipster fashion
Classy photo there ... I love tats, because my dad was a criminal defense attorney and I saw lots and lots on his clients. Most done in the can with needles and BIC pens ... classy, just plain classy.
03-22-2012, 06:31 AM   #59
Veteran Member

Steve Huff posted his review of the K-01. The guy is clueless. For starters he loves Leica but somehow thinks the K-01 is a brick. Leica cameras by definition are bricks. Then he makes a comparison between the K-01 and the NEX-7. The image of the two cameras next to each other contradict everything he is saying. The NEX-7 with that Zeiss 24mm lenses on it is ridiculous. How on earth that contraption is better balanced than the K-01 with any lenses attached is pure delusion on Huff's part.

Huff misses the whole concept of the K-01. Pentax is going to release XS lenses made specifically for the K-01 which will make the K-01 the best balanced mirrorless camera out there. Especially for wide angle lenses. The K-01 with a XS 21mm or 15mm lenses even a 24mm will make the NEX-7 with that Zeiss 24mm look like a joke.
03-22-2012, 07:20 AM   #60
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rico Quote
Steve Huff posted his review of the K-01. The guy is clueless. For starters he loves Leica but somehow thinks the K-01 is a brick. Leica cameras by definition are bricks. Then he makes a comparison between the K-01 and the NEX-7. The image of the two cameras next to each other contradict everything he is saying. The NEX-7 with that Zeiss 24mm lenses on it is ridiculous. How on earth that contraption is better balanced than the K-01 with any lenses attached is pure delusion on Huff's part.

Huff misses the whole concept of the K-01. Pentax is going to release XS lenses made specifically for the K-01 which will make the K-01 the best balanced mirrorless camera out there. Especially for wide angle lenses. The K-01 with a XS 21mm or 15mm lenses even a 24mm will make the NEX-7 with that Zeiss 24mm look like a joke.
I think Pentax did him a disservice by not getting him an FA limited or even a couple of DA limiteds to test with the K-01.

Still, I think that the target for this camera is very different from Steve. The K5 would certainly be a lot more his speed. Even if there was an EVF on the camera, I think he would have given it better marks.

I think the biggest thing that this camera has going for it is that it has inspired a lot of discussion about Pentax. That is a good thing. Up till now, Pentax has been notable by its absence from the "serious camera" discussion.