Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 10 Likes Search this Thread
03-07-2012, 03:25 PM - 1 Like   #1

Steve Huff: Quick 1st Look: The Pentax K-01 [Video]

Steve Huff has just posted a fair (and fairly useful) nine-minute video preview/review of the K-01.* You even get to see him discover a defect/flaw with his on/off switch:

*It's nine minutes long when you exclude the opening and closing credits.

03-07-2012, 03:28 PM   #2
Banned

Steve Huff needs to go to video school and learn how not to post OOF videos on youtube.
03-07-2012, 03:34 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Who is Steve Huff, and why should I care enough about him to bother watching a 9 minute video of his?
03-07-2012, 04:28 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jogiba Quote
Steve Huff needs to go to video school and learn how not to post OOF videos on youtube.
It's fine for something labelled "Quick 1st Look".

03-07-2012, 04:31 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Who is Steve Huff, and why should I care enough about him to bother watching a 9 minute video of his?
If you're curious about the K-01, then watch the video. If not, don't.

Shouldn't be too difficult to figure out who Steve Huff is.
03-07-2012, 05:13 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Steve Huff gave a really favorable review to the K-7, and a somewhat less enthusiastic (but still positive) review for the K-5. He's more of a high end rangefinder sort of guy, though, so it's not surprising that he won't like the K-01 (and has mocked it since its announcement). It's good to see reviews from all sorts of shooters, though, and he certainly represents a certain group of them.
03-07-2012, 05:34 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
How come the aperture of the lens keeps moving as he holds the camera? It's like the camera is shooting at a set interval. Also it is pretty dumb not to set the camera up before shooting (language, time, date, etc.). Fail...

03-07-2012, 05:45 PM - 1 Like   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Urkeldaedalus Quote
Steve Huff gave a really favorable review to the K-7, and a somewhat less enthusiastic (but still positive) review for the K-5. He's more of a high end rangefinder sort of guy, though, so it's not surprising that he won't like the K-01 (and has mocked it since its announcement). It's good to see reviews from all sorts of shooters, though, and he certainly represents a certain group of them.
I don't know the guy, but I don't see him "mocking" the K-01 outside of its appearance. Otherwise, he seems pretty positive about it.

How could you say he was less enthusiastic about the K-5 than the K-7? Did you read his K-5 review?

"Basically, this K5 is a KILLER DSLR with amazing *EVERYTHING!*

"So did I like it as much as the K7? NO, I liked it even better "

" Way to go Pentax, you managed to improve upon the K7 and delivered and all terrain, all weather DSLR that is small, built like a tank and gives outstanding quality in good light and low light. Video is SUPERB as well. An all around fantastic camera."
03-07-2012, 05:56 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Didn't you catch on to the joke about him making fun of the fact that it's not the Fuji X1-pro, at the beginning of the video? He's making fun of the fact that people on his blog want to see that camera instead. Or at least that's how I interpreted it. There are also several parts of the video where he makes fun of it, or do you think he's serious when he says he wants to take the yellow version of the camera to a construction site?

Also: The new Pentax K-01 Mirrorless Camera – Bringing Sexy Back…NOT | STEVE HUFF PHOTOS

QuoteQuote:
Some people on the web are going gaggagoogoo over the design. Me, I find it a little on the ugly side. It’s fat and tonka toy like, especially the yellow one. Some are calling it vintage but I do not recall seeing a camera looking like this back in the day. The fatness of it from the top reminds me of the old Leica Digilux 1, but also more like something Fisher Price would design.
Like I said, I'm fine with him stating his opinion on it and being honest if he doesn't like it. But if you follow Steve Huff's blog you know the K-01 is not his sort of camera-- particularly due to the no EVF like he said. So don't be surprised if he doesn't give it a good review.

I also forgot in my original post that Steve Huff also reviewed the Pentax Q, and was much more positive about it than many other people were. His review of the Ricoh GXR when few others were giving it serious consideration was part of me buying into that system after researching it more.
03-07-2012, 06:05 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Didn't you catch on to the joke about him making fun of the fact that it's not the Fuji X1-pro, at the beginning of the video? He's making fun of the fact that people on his blog want to see that camera instead. Or at least that's how I interpreted it. There are also several parts of the video where he makes fun of it, or do you think he's serious when he says he wants to take the yellow version of the camera to a construction site?

Also: The new Pentax K-01 Mirrorless Camera – Bringing Sexy Back…NOT | STEVE HUFF PHOTOS

Like I said, I'm fine with him stating his opinion on it and being honest if he doesn't like it. But if you follow Steve Huff's blog you know the K-01 is not his sort of camera-- particularly due to the no EVF like he said. So don't be surprised if he doesn't give it a good review.
I'm sure more people are interested in the Fuji, and yes, I caught his joke. I did note in my previous post that he criticized the K-01's appearance, but that seems to be his only significant criticism so far. He thought the AF speed was OK and the images great. We'll see when there are more in-depth reviews around.
03-07-2012, 06:10 PM   #11

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Welfl Quote
Steve Huff has just posted a fair (and fairly useful) nine-minute video preview/review of the K-01.*
When I wrote "fair" and "fairly useful" in my original post, I meant two very basic things:

1.) "Fair": He readily admits that the image quality is almost certainly going to be excellent, even though he says he isn't very enthused about the looks or the ergonomics of the camera itself (neither am I, for that matter, although I fully understand and respect those who do like its looks and ergonomics, or are, at the very least, indifferent toward them). Related: He also says he believes in giving "the little guys," like Pentax, a fair shake; and he has apparently done so in the past.

2.) "Fairly useful": He handles the camera in a real-world or "three-dimensional" sort of way (so to speak), the same way I would if I was inspecting it for the first time (I don't own a DSLR yet, so I would definitely be turning it all around and inspecting it with beginner's eyes). He turns it around repeatedly and lets us see the front, top and back for extended periods of time. He even shows us the bottom and sides briefly. He turns the dials and explains them in an easy-to-understand way, etc. In short, this video finally allowed me to see the K-01 as more than just an artsy prop in a still image or while it is being handled in a video by an expert who isn't considering the viewers while he or she does everything very quickly. All in all, I like its looks slightly less than I did before (at least from the front). Nonetheless, I would still buy one if it fully suits my needs/wishes, which I now think it might not (based on Adam's partial review this morning and on Frank from Singapore's wonderful, ongoing review). At least it may not suit my needs/wishes as much as the K-5. Regrettably, though, the K-5 does not have focus peaking, darn it, and I really, really want focus peaking!

Update: ElJamoquio just received his K-01.See his first comment on the camera here.

Last edited by Welfl; 03-07-2012 at 09:39 PM.
03-07-2012, 07:00 PM   #12

I was actually impressed that not only did he not make fun of the exterior controls for looking like a "toy", he correctly pointed out the similarities between the K-01's design and that of the Leica Minilux.
03-07-2012, 07:04 PM   #13
Pentaxian

I also forgot in my original post that Steve Huff also reviewed the Pentax Q, and was much more positive about it than many other people were. His review of the Ricoh GXR when few others were giving it serious consideration was part of me buying into that system after researching it more.

I follow Steve's blog and have to say I agree with you that the K-01 is not his type of camera.
Not his preferred styling nor camera features he looks out for.
Many cameras that he kinda really likes, he would usually be making some pretty enthusiastic OMG! type statements.
I don't see it for the K-01 statements so far from him.
But overall, an honest review. Don't expect everyone to like the K-01 design.

My main gripe is actually with Pentax USA on such poor vision and marketing when sending sample units to reviewers.

Hung camera? - man! what an embarrasment.

Why just the 40mm? - its neither the best looking nor the lens that lens people have a better idea on what K-01 and smallish and good Pentax primes is about. For gods sake, why can't they also send him a cheapo 35/2.4 and legacy M50/1.4 as well. (they all get returned at the end of the day anyway, so it costs nothing)
These lenses would show off that K-01 is not small for smalls sake, and pretty right sized for APS-C lenses, as well as show that it works well with the many MF legacy lenses out there.
03-07-2012, 07:54 PM - 3 Likes   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-q-forum/160455-glowing-q-review-steve-huff.html

LMAO - he's the same person you posted about in September of last year, too funny...
03-07-2012, 08:11 PM   #15
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by joe.penn Quote
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-q-forum/160455-glowing-q-review-steve-huff.html

LMAO - he's the same person you posted about in September of last year, too funny...
Wow. That's all I can say.