Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-08-2012, 02:37 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
Well he never got the name of the camera correct in 9 minutes. Its not called a K1. Other wise it was ok.
thanks
barondla
I refer to it as the "Knock Out 1", since it's a knock out.

03-08-2012, 02:39 PM   #32
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rfortson Quote
I refer to it as the "Knock Out 1", since it's a knock out.
Well, since it's a brick, throwing it at someone could really knock them out!
03-08-2012, 02:54 PM   #33
Veteran Member

that "glitch" is embarrassing , and slow focus and dodgy white balance is a problem with all Pentax cameras , yet we love it .

I hope the next top of the line camera from Pentax would show some improvements
03-08-2012, 03:00 PM   #34
Veteran Member

It's focus isn't really that slow. Most users have said now it's quite an improvement over the k-5 CDAF (and definitely an improvement over my k-x) - being on par with the moderate speed mirrorless cameras out there.

White balance is another matter completely =p

03-08-2012, 03:32 PM   #35
Veteran Member

he's saying that if you have to go Pentax it's either this or the K-5, as if there is no $500 difference. understandable from a Leica guy.
03-08-2012, 03:50 PM   #36
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by redpigeons Quote
that "glitch" is embarrassing , and slow focus and dodgy white balance is a problem with all Pentax cameras , yet we love it .

I hope the next top of the line camera from Pentax would show some improvements
Well, it remains to be seen whether the glitch is a rarity. For perspective, read this sad tale from a Leica M9 user and responses from other unfortunates. This from a $7k camera body. BTW, love the guy in the thread who advises purchasing a second M9 as a backup while the first is in the shopt.
03-08-2012, 04:49 PM   #37
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ibkc Quote
1. I will bet you anything that Mr. Newson knows about the Digilux and that he took a few cues from it when he was designing the K-01. I mean, what industrial designer worth his salt, when faced with designing a camera for the first time, WOULDN'T look to Leica first for ideas and inspiration?
2. Steve Huff still deserves the props I gave him for drawing attention to the similarities between the design of the two cameras...
QuoteOriginally posted by raider Quote
Steve Huff says the K-01 is "Fat". But it looks like he likes the Leica Digilux 1?
I'd like to hope that Marc didn't know about the leica before making his design, but as things are, it looks like a little too much inspiration was taken from it. Had they gone with straight black instead of the black/silver look it would not have been a blatant copy job.

I saw the Steve Huff video before noticing this thread. It's funny because I was thinking the same exact thing about the low quality...

I wish Pentax USA would send me a K-01 to review, but I don't think they would. My K-5 review was well received, especially the Youtube video portion. Edit, if anyone wants to petition them on my behalf, feel free.

03-08-2012, 05:15 PM   #38
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pingflood Quote
As for "fail", I am fairly certain you guys would not be bitching about the small things if he had heaped praise on the camera. Be grateful you have all this stuff available to you for free instead of complaining.
I agree. I'm sure if Steve Huff were a member of this community, he would be receiving a copious amount of gratitude. I've noticed that Adam's horrible-quality videos for his "First Impressions" article have received only minor criticism. And I'm not saying this to criticize Adam, as he has quickly given us a brief taste of the K-01, for which I am grateful.
03-08-2012, 05:56 PM   #39
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
I agree. I'm sure if Steve Huff were a member of this community, he would be receiving a copious amount of gratitude. I've noticed that Adam's horrible-quality videos for his "First Impressions" article have received only minor criticism. And I'm not saying this to criticize Adam, as he has quickly given us a brief taste of the K-01, for which I am grateful.
His videos are in focus and accomplish the goal of what he wanted to show (auto focus speed).

The only issue I see is the continuous popping sound. This happens because there is an issue with the audio codec the K-5/K-7 uses and the Linux version of FFMPEG (I'm assuming that the Youtube servers use Linux to transcode videos that are submitted to them). So when he uploaded the videos straight to Youtube without processing them into something else, the pop sound appeared. This can be fixed a number of ways. I figured this out pretty early with my videos and Youtube channel.

There are a number of ways to deal with the issue. I use Linux on my main desktop, so I have to extract the audio out with something that doesn't use FFMPEG (VLC works in my case), then I further clean up the audio in Audacity. My last step is to merge everything together in Kdenlive (a nice NLE, but suffers from the popping sound issue due to what libraries it uses) and export as MPEG4/x264 and mp3 audio.
03-08-2012, 06:07 PM   #40
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote
Well, since it's a brick, throwing it at someone could really knock them out!
03-08-2012, 07:41 PM   #41
Veteran Member

His videos were lacking in any and all fluff commentary. We took it to show what it meant to show.

Mr. Huffs on the other hand...

..the only reason I do harp on his video is because he keeps comparing the K-01 to the k-5. He should compare it to the NEX5N. Or any other mirrorless. I don't care if it loses to the NEX5N. The NEX5N is a great mirrorless camera. However, comparing it to the k-5 is a bit silly -

-multiple users have said it's quite a bit smaller in the hands than the k-5, more than it'd seem
-it has the same sensor, but is restricted and optimized for video
-the missing mirrorbox will allow for lenses that are recessed further in, especially zooms (a very critical issue with mirrorless cameras like the NEX series)
-it's retailing at $750, comparing to the current k-5 retail fo $1,100
-it's not weather resistant
-it's got quick CDAF, which is also much more accurate than PDAF

If he tried comparing to the NEX5N, then all of the items above would be great to talk about in comparison.
03-08-2012, 09:01 PM   #42
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote
His videos were lacking in any and all fluff commentary. We took it to show what it meant to show.

Mr. Huffs on the other hand...

..the only reason I do harp on his video is because he keeps comparing the K-01 to the k-5. He should compare it to the NEX5N. Or any other mirrorless. I don't care if it loses to the NEX5N. The NEX5N is a great mirrorless camera. However, comparing it to the k-5 is a bit silly -

-multiple users have said it's quite a bit smaller in the hands than the k-5, more than it'd seem
-it has the same sensor, but is restricted and optimized for video
-the missing mirrorbox will allow for lenses that are recessed further in, especially zooms (a very critical issue with mirrorless cameras like the NEX series)
-it's retailing at $750, comparing to the current k-5 retail fo $1,100
-it's not weather resistant
-it's got quick CDAF, which is also much more accurate than PDAF

If he tried comparing to the NEX5N, then all of the items above would be great to talk about in comparison.
Ah, yes, the old "we accomplished what we meant to accomplish" line.

Anyway, I'm done beating this equine-gone-to-ether.
03-08-2012, 09:07 PM   #43
Veteran Member

Ah, yes, the old "we accomplished what we meant to accomplish" line.

Anyway, I'm done beating this equine-gone-to-ether.
Was my complaint misplaced? Is it a valid comparison between a K-01 and a k-5, or is it better to compare to its actual market, the mirrorless segment? I think that the NEX5N is a better camera overall (except for the XS lens series), and would provide a much better comparison.
03-08-2012, 09:34 PM   #44
Inactive Account

Just like to say the K-01 looks nothing like the Digilux from the front.

03-08-2012, 09:44 PM   #45

From my experience with some of the newer Pentax Cameras you get always some yellowish photos by using the picture mode "Reversefilm". And AWB there is also an option to change the look during AWB (warmer/cooler). Oh... and by the way... Sometimes i have the same bug on my K-5 during Live View. Remove the battery is the only Option to turn off the camera. Maybe a Problem Pentax should look at in future cameras or firmware updates.