Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-07-2012, 07:51 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
How is low light focus accuracy?

How is the low light focus accuracy ? Does it suffer from the low/tungsten light focus problem like k-5?

03-08-2012, 05:33 AM   #2

It should not have the front/back focus problem because it uses contrast detection AF, not phase detection. The actual behavior can be seen in Adam's quick review:
Pentax K-01: Initial Hands-On Impressions - Pentax Camera News & Rumors - PentaxForums.com
It seems to me pretty good.
03-11-2012, 09:50 AM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Well it's not phase detect so you won't see any quirks of that sort, I don't think, BUT the AF system really isn't that good for low-light shooting. And for stuff that's moving, it's even worse, unfortunately.

For normal users, it's definitely accurate, though The only thing that's annoying there is that it takes it a while to re-confirm focus.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

03-11-2012, 12:43 PM   #4
Veteran Member

So far I haven't noticed any real world problems shooting indoors at night. However I'm not sure it will work for club shots or your kid's basketball game.

03-19-2012, 05:30 PM   #5
Forum Member

Taken with AF - DA 40mm kit Lens, 1/80s,F/2.8,ISO 800
no hunts, point n shoot, scene was a single ceiling bulb 60w

Last edited by WWWench; 03-19-2012 at 07:53 PM. Reason: typo
03-19-2012, 05:31 PM   #6
Pentaxian

^Should mention which lens, the lenses seem to matter a lot when the K-01's AF is to be considered.
03-19-2012, 05:40 PM   #7
Lens Buying Addict

K-01 FA35/2 f/4.5 1/30 ISO1600 taken hand held with available room light only. Autofoucs locked almost immediately and hard. See detail for sharpness. Neither image was PP'ed other than resize.

100% Crop

Contrast matters. Attempting a CDAF photo of a beige couch in a walnut-paneled room with a single shaded 60 watt lamp the DA40Ltd. would not lock - and the camera signaled too much underexposure. We know the sensor is amazing and the Prime M engine is better than Prime II. I think we shouldn't ask this camera to perform functions we would never try in real life.
03-19-2012, 07:35 PM   #8
Veteran Member

My personal opinion is that the K-01 is more of a hobbyist cam due to its quirks and fussiness with some lenses. You really need to understand its strengths and weaknesses to get the most out of it. Someone upgrading from a point-and-shoot (read: normal users) may get frustrated before realizing its potential. This is too bad since, for the price, its image quality is stellar.

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
For normal users, it's definitely accurate, though The only thing that's annoying there is that it takes it a while to re-confirm focus.

03-19-2012, 08:11 PM   #9
Lens Buying Addict

QuoteOriginally posted by krebsy97 Quote
My personal opinion is that the K-01 is more of a hobbyist cam due to its quirks and fussiness with some lenses. You really need to understand its strengths and weaknesses to get the most out of it. Someone upgrading from a point-and-shoot (read: normal users) may get frustrated before realizing its potential. This is too bad since, for the price, its image quality is stellar.
I'm not sure consumers are upgrading from PnS to cameras. They're migrating to phones.
03-20-2012, 09:30 AM   #10
Veteran Member

This is true for the majority, no doubt.

I'm puzzled as to who Pentax is going after with this cam. Especially if the similarily priced K-r replacement has a lot of the same features.

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I'm not sure consumers are upgrading from PnS to cameras. They're migrating to phones.
03-20-2012, 09:48 AM   #11
Banned

Photos: Albums
I've used my K-01 for a variety of different things. But then again I frequently carry around either a K-5, or a full frame Sony A-900, etc... The K-01 is a great camera when one doesn't want to or have to worry about carrying around a more full sized camera system, but without the need to also have to limit themselves to a completely new camera system. So it's good to have a K-5 for semi-pro use and then be able to back it up by using most of those same items on the K-5 on the K-01.

So now we have the K-01 with it's rather impressive lens line, flash options, etc... all without having the need to buy a second lens line. The K-01 also excells in it's creative options - with one small exception... Yes, Pentax (and others such as Sigma for Pentax) do make Macro lens' but... I wish they offered a bit more in the marco field - especially extension tubes.

IF I were not a professional and in the market for a variety of cameras... I would indeed compare items such as the K-01 to the Lumix line or even the Canon, Nikon, or Sony line. But the "built in" exisiting options of the K-01 make it stand out considerably. It's only a matter of time before "we see" companies such as Sony or Nikon coming out with ones much like the K-01
03-20-2012, 11:31 AM   #12
Lens Buying Addict

Incisive and meaningful post that should be required reading here.