Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-08-2012, 08:20 AM   #16

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by raider Quote
wouldn't this kind of accessories solve the screen brightness/glare issues?

Delkin 3.0" Digital Camera Pop-Up LCD Screen Sun Shade Hood & Protector - Silver | eBay
I prefer something like this: Kaiser digiShield Folding LCD Hood for 3" LCD 206075 B&H
because it doesn't attach to the camera via adhesive which means it can be removed when not needed, plus you can keep the side shades folded up if needed.

03-08-2012, 08:22 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Ok. That looks nice too. I hope that does not interfere with fastening the camera onto the tripod in any way.
03-08-2012, 08:23 AM   #18
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ibkc Quote
Interesting. That looks like the back of my 1947 Graflex.
03-08-2012, 09:01 AM - 2 Likes   #19
Lens Buying Addict

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Tilley Hat

My LCD shade:

03-08-2012, 09:11 AM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter

A viewfinder is only (totally) necessary if you live in a climate where you have any sunshine. If you live in the Pacific Northwest, it may not be any problem at all to have no viewfinder. Much like a windshield on your auto is only necessary if you intend to actually drive the vehicle. How silly would that be....actually driving! Of course, if you were big and yellow, and looked like a block of cheese, people would probably get out of your way pretty fast!
Regards!
03-08-2012, 09:16 AM   #21

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
My LCD shade:
Heh. In the late spring and summer, I always wear a large, wide-brimmed hat outdoors, too. So indeed, this point may be moot for me because of this. We'll see.
03-08-2012, 09:28 AM   #22
Lens Buying Addict

QuoteOriginally posted by ibkc Quote
Heh. In the late spring and summer, I always wear a large, wide-brimmed hat outdoors, too. So indeed, this point may be moot for me because of this. We'll see.
It actually works. Next weekend (if I can enlist my wife) I plan to so a "How I use it" thread. Some of my ideas are ravel novel, in a classic camera throw-back sense.
03-08-2012, 09:35 AM - 1 Like   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ErrantDabbler Quote
Hello All,

I am due for a new camera body. I had been planning to purchase a K-r this year, but the announcement of the K-01 has changed things up a bit.

There are a lot of positives with the K-01, and it would obviously be a huge upgrade from what I am using now (an *istDL). What I am a little concerned about is the lack of a viewfinder. A number of commenters in this forum indicate that the lack of a VF is a deal-breaker! I have never used live-view on a DSLR (other than playing arround with K-r's in camera shops) and do not know if I would really miss a VF.

Has anyone here made the switch from a traditional DSLR to a camera without a VF? Do you miss it, and why? Were there certain times when the lack of a VF was more of an issue than others? Presumably more-so at longer focal lengths? Should the lack of a viewfinder be a deal-breaker if you are not a wildlife photographer?

The vast majority of my photos are made on while travelling on vacation and I like to shoot mostly with wide angle lenses. The most common lenses I use at the momment are a Vivitar 28 mm and the Pentax 10-17mm Fisheye.

Thanks in advance!

Dave
Do you use point & shoot cameras? If you're comfortable framing with the LCD, then you should be equally comfortable with this. I've found that focal lengths under ~150mm are easy to handle. Once you start getting a little longer (or a wider zoom range), it becomes a little harder to keep steady. Unlike Adam, I never had problems in low light, since on my Pen the LCD will automagically brighten up (it gets grainy, but you can still frame the shot which is all I need).

Also, you don't hold the camera "at arm's length" like all the detractors like to say. You brace your elbows at your side, and you should be fine. If you need a third leg of the brace, you can put the strap around your neck and pull it tight with your elbows braced. That's as steady as any other hand holding technique you'll find.

Now, I don't use my Pen for long shot (my longest zoom is a 40-150), and I don't use it for action tracking. But for general street shots, or vacation shots, it's great because it's small. I'm planning on combining my K-01 with my DA Limited lenses for a small travel pack with IQ that's on par with my K5.

03-08-2012, 09:38 AM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by leopold Quote
The K-01 is not the only MLC that go blank between shots, my NEX-3 do that also. As for shooting in bright sunlight, it depends on your style, personnally i shoot early or late in the day so i've never had problem yet to compose and focus with the NEX-3.
I purposely took my Pen outside on a Texas summer day (mid-day) and tried to get the sun shining directly on the LCD. I could still see well enough to frame the shot, which is all I needed. I also had to move the camera off to the side so that I wasn't casting a shadow on the LCD. I'd never shoot this way, but wanted to see if it could be done, and it can.

Manual focus would be nearly impossible like this, though. However, once I shade the LCD with my body, I can see well enough to focus. AF of course isn't a problem at all.
03-08-2012, 09:47 AM - 1 Like   #25

And with a tripod, a hood and the right brackets, triggers, remote release, etc. this camera can be used with long lenses AND in the studio like any DSLR. Differently, granted, but not necessarily worse. With any new gear that requires a new way of working there is always a period of ergonomic adaptivity. Can be annoying at first.
03-08-2012, 10:42 AM   #26
Inactive Account

QuoteQuote:
There are a lot of positives with the K-01,
What do you see as the pluses of the K-01? (say vs a k-5)
03-08-2012, 11:15 AM   #27
Lens Buying Addict

QuoteOriginally posted by jmg257 Quote
Just off the top of my head:

No viewfinder bump; no massive grip; simpler, more usefull controls; no mirror vibration; slightly smaller than a Leica M9 Digilux; MUCH easier to focus manual lenses for ageing eyes; significantly enhanced video capability; tabletop portrait orientation; larger e-dial; Prime M engine; $450 staying in my pocket; engaging visual design.

For a start. I'll post more after mine gets here Monday.
03-08-2012, 12:26 PM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jmg257 Quote
For me, (slightly) smaller size (wish it was smaller), uses all my lenses natively, uses the same batteries, GPS and flash, may not attract the same attention a dSLR does. This helps when trying to shoot in places that don't allow "professional cameras", meaning dSLRs. I'm getting the white one, so I hope it looks like a toy to security guards, and I'm free to snap shots along with all the other P&S shooters at a show. My Pen is good for this, but image quality wasn't quite on par with my K5.

Also, I find framing a shot with the LCD is easier than a viewfinder, and since I wear glasses, I don't have to deal with the eyepiece smudging my glasses.
03-08-2012, 12:29 PM   #29
Inactive Account

Mono,

Cool - I could see a few of those being worthwhile! No mirror vibrations, better video, cheaper cost, Prime M at least. Less weight likely one also.

Good luck with yours!

Edit: see your list too rf...

Understand about the LCD framing - I'm just the opposite...I need reading glasses, so LCD framing (and menu driven controls) would be much harder then VF. Ahhh...darn these old eyes!
03-08-2012, 12:35 PM   #30
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Just off the top of my head:

No viewfinder bump; no massive grip; simpler, more usefull controls; no mirror vibration; slightly smaller than a Leica M9 Digilux; MUCH easier to focus manual lenses for ageing eyes; significantly enhanced video capability; tabletop portrait orientation; larger e-dial; Prime M engine; $450 staying in my pocket; engaging visual design.

For a start. I'll post more after mine gets here Monday.
This is very appealing. I don't even have particularly aging eyes and I still have plenty of problems with the VF on my K-x. Switched out the focusing screen to a 45 degree split prism and got the o-me53 eye cup and I'm still not very happy. K-01 sounds better and better.