Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-07-2012, 10:13 PM   #1

Question: Moving from VF to no VF

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Hello All,

I am due for a new camera body. I had been planning to purchase a K-r this year, but the announcement of the K-01 has changed things up a bit.

There are a lot of positives with the K-01, and it would obviously be a huge upgrade from what I am using now (an *istDL). What I am a little concerned about is the lack of a viewfinder. A number of commenters in this forum indicate that the lack of a VF is a deal-breaker! I have never used live-view on a DSLR (other than playing arround with K-r's in camera shops) and do not know if I would really miss a VF.

Has anyone here made the switch from a traditional DSLR to a camera without a VF? Do you miss it, and why? Were there certain times when the lack of a VF was more of an issue than others? Presumably more-so at longer focal lengths? Should the lack of a viewfinder be a deal-breaker if you are not a wildlife photographer?

The vast majority of my photos are made on while travelling on vacation and I like to shoot mostly with wide angle lenses. The most common lenses I use at the momment are a Vivitar 28 mm and the Pentax 10-17mm Fisheye.

Thanks in advance!

Dave

03-07-2012, 10:47 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The EVF is only a deal-breaker for me in low light or when using heavy lenses. Apart from that, the K-01 is a pleasure to use, and there is almost no display latency.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
03-07-2012, 10:55 PM   #3
Banned

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ErrantDabbler Quote
The most common lenses I use at the momment are a Vivitar 28 mm and the Pentax 10-17mm Fisheye.
You should have no problem using those lenses. You may even discover that you are getting better results with them from a focusing perspective.

It might become challenging with focal lengths above 135mm, but it should be manageable up to that.
03-08-2012, 12:00 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Has anyone here made the switch from a traditional DSLR to a camera without a VF? Do you miss it, and why? Were there certain times when the lack of a VF was more of an issue than others?
I haven't, and won't. I strongly suggest you try using Live View on a DSLR, or even use a point and shoot, in full sunlight, and see if you can properly focus with that glare on the screen. Horrible experience.

Unless you're right into shooting video, and the new features of the K-01 appeal to you on that front, I can't see any advantages over a DSLR, but I can see serious disadvantages.

03-08-2012, 12:26 AM   #5
Veteran Member

It does pretty much rule out being able to frame a shot accurately in bright sunlight, and with longish lenses without a tripod. The screen-going-blank thing also means it's going to be crap at sports shooting, because even though the frame rate is high you're not going to be able to follow the action because you can't see where you're pointing it.

Where it's better should be manual focus at wide (sub-f2) apertures in low light, and on a tripod in awkward positions (which are what I use live view on my K-5 for).

Horses for courses.
03-08-2012, 03:56 AM   #6

QuoteOriginally posted by Philoslothical Quote
I haven't, and won't. I strongly suggest you try using Live View on a DSLR, or even use a point and shoot, in full sunlight, and see if you can properly focus with that glare on the screen. Horrible experience.

Unless you're right into shooting video, and the new features of the K-01 appeal to you on that front, I can't see any advantages over a DSLR, but I can see serious disadvantages.
Advantage Over K-5 Standard DSLR = Price.
Disadvantage Compared To K-5 DSLR = EVF (Not For Me) & Weather Sealed (This one hurts a bit).
03-08-2012, 05:02 AM   #7

The K-01 is not the only MLC that go blank between shots, my NEX-3 do that also. As for shooting in bright sunlight, it depends on your style, personnally i shoot early or late in the day so i've never had problem yet to compose and focus with the NEX-3.

03-08-2012, 06:47 AM - 1 Like   #8

Photos: Gallery
*shrug* My only digital camera for the past year has been my iPhone, which obviously has no viewfinder, and which I've used in all kinds of lighting conditions with no problem. I use the Camera+ enhanced camera app which allows for spot focusing, and Pro HDR, an app which employs a grid on-screen to assist the user in holding the device steady while the camera does its thing. I have no trouble seeing the screen in bright sunlight, even with my bad eyesight.

This is why I am not among the crowd who is hysterical about the lack of a viewfinder on this camera. I just don't see it as something to get all verklempt over.
03-08-2012, 06:56 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Hello All,

I am due for a new camera body. I had been planning to purchase a K-r this year, but the announcement of the K-01 has changed things up a bit.

There are a lot of positives with the K-01, and it would obviously be a huge upgrade from what I am using now (an *istDL). What I am a little concerned about is the lack of a viewfinder. A number of commenters in this forum indicate that the lack of a VF is a deal-breaker! I have never used live-view on a DSLR (other than playing arround with K-r's in camera shops) and do not know if I would really miss a VF.

Has anyone here made the switch from a traditional DSLR to a camera without a VF? Do you miss it, and why? Were there certain times when the lack of a VF was more of an issue than others? Presumably more-so at longer focal lengths? Should the lack of a viewfinder be a deal-breaker if you are not a wildlife photographer?

The vast majority of my photos are made on while travelling on vacation and I like to shoot mostly with wide angle lenses. The most common lenses I use at the momment are a Vivitar 28 mm and the Pentax 10-17mm Fisheye.

Thanks in advance!

Dave
This may be OT but if u like to travel and take photos alot, using a VFless camera may allow u to take more street shots without getting noticed too much. It is a lot less obvious than if u use a camera with a VF. People take notice of you....may or may not like you taking their photos......may or may not ruin your otherwise great experience when u travel.....just a thought.
03-08-2012, 07:04 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ibkc Quote
*shrug* My only digital camera for the past year has been my iPhone, which obviously has no viewfinder, and which I've used in all kinds of lighting conditions with no problem. I use the Camera+ enhanced camera app which allows for spot focusing, and Pro HDR, an app which employs a grid on-screen to assist the user in holding the device steady while the camera does its thing. I have no trouble seeing the screen in bright sunlight, even with my bad eyesight.

This is why I am not among the crowd who is hysterical about the lack of a viewfinder on this camera. I just don't see it as something to get all verklempt over.
iPhone and iPad screens are particularly good though. Try doing the same thing with a Pentax DSLR. It's hardly a non-issue. There were plenty of times I would have used Live View on my K-r last summer, but it was simply impossible due to having the sun at my back.
03-08-2012, 07:25 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I will get my K-01 Monday. I expect easier manual focusing than with a dSLR up to K200/2.5 lenses, K5 quality images for 3/4 the price, no issues with LCD glare (I wear a wide brim hat to shade the LCD) and the benefit of video (which I don't really need). The trick is to hold the camera like it is an SLR, with your left palm under the base and your elbows held firmly next to your sides.. Don't hold it like a compact.

Like any other tool the camera will be wonderful when used for things it was designed to do. It is essentially a fanny-pack camera, (as are all the new m4/3 cameras if you mount a lens and leave it there) that accepts natively all your K-mount lenses. Since I don't shoot sports/action, auto racing, birds in flight, eagles at 1000 yards or strobist studio images I should be fine. If you really do a lot of any of those things you might not.

If I do need to shoot really long, AF.c or studio I have a dSLR and many film SLR's to use.
03-08-2012, 07:26 AM   #12

QuoteOriginally posted by Philoslothical Quote
iPhone and iPad screens are particularly good though. Try doing the same thing with a Pentax DSLR. It's hardly a non-issue. There were plenty of times I would have used Live View on my K-r last summer, but it was simply impossible due to having the sun at my back.
You could absolutely be right, of course. I'm hoping that since this camera was designed without a viewfinder, that they've made the screen to excellent specifications. My K-01 will be arriving today and I'll be out seeing how it does in bright sunlight as soon as I can. If it's not as good as my iPhone, or even close, then I'll look at something like the Kaiser digiShield Folding Hood for the screen.
03-08-2012, 07:31 AM   #13
Veteran Member

I'm interested to see more reports about how it performs in bright light, too. It sounds like a very similar screen is in it to the ones in the K-r and K-5, but they may have improved it. Good luck with it, and please do post about it.
03-08-2012, 07:59 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Sure, I take snapshots with a phone too - but I don't generally spend the 5-10 seconds carefully getting the edges of the frame exactly right (or at least attempting it) like I do with a more substantial camera, because with a phone there's just no point trying to get anywhere near perfect - it's a different tool. With live view on the K-5 (and whenever anyone hands me a P&S) I do try to frame shots nicely, and I find it very very difficult in bright sunlight. Sure, you can use a wider FL and crop/level later but that's just throwing away precious light/pixels.

For some shooters the K-01 is going to be fine, but it's not as versatile as a camera with a viewfinder. A hood or one of those screen-loupe thingies would improve matters.
03-08-2012, 08:16 AM   #15
Veteran Member

wouldn't this kind of accessories solve the screen brightness/glare issues?

Delkin 3.0" Digital Camera Pop-Up LCD Screen Sun Shade Hood & Protector - Silver | eBay