Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-08-2012, 03:20 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
My 5 minute feelings on the K-01

Here are my, out of the box, feelings on the K-01.

I've had it in my hands for 5 minutes and shot a total of 1 image so far. The first lens I slapped on was my beloved A50 1.4 and they look made for each other. The feel, the balance, it's just sweet. The weight of the camera feels just right. I'm telling you with a 50mm lens or maybe my DA35 Limited it looks and feels perfect. The rubber grip feels great. I just hope the removable panel that covers the SD card doesn't get lose and floppy down the road. If it does hopefully we can get replacements. All the buttons are nice and clicky and everything feels like solid quality.

I want to editorialize a bit because of all the negative talk I've read on the site that the camera is big and clunky looking. Nothing could be further from the truth in the flesh. The point I want to make is this......To me the functional "size" of the camera is if you take the maximum length, width and height of the camera/lens combo you get the cameras "volume" or the amount of space it takes up. Sure a Sony NEX-5 has a thinner body but the actual size (or volume) that the camera/lens takes up is about the same. People are actually complaining about the open spaces inside the cameras volume not that actual effective size of the camera. I can honestly say I can't see any value in the camera being any smaller. I predict the thickness of the body will become one of peoples favorite things about the K-01 as it already is with me.

My only complaint is the lack of an articulated screen. This would be great and I hope they bring this through on future models.

Other than that it's a home run to me.

I'm now officially a two body guy. My K-5 will carry the big glass and the K-01 will be slung over my shoulder with a prime.

03-08-2012, 03:24 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Sounds good. Any comments on using the screen outside in bright daylight? Show us a nice video with that 50 F1.4 at 1.4! Video bokeh is nice

Since you have a k-5, can you confirm that the CDAF on the K-01 is faster than the CDAF on the k-5? How do you feel about the autofocus speed (even though you are using it with the A50)?
03-08-2012, 06:17 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Very happy for you. Sounds good. Any metering issues with the A lens?
03-08-2012, 07:06 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
With only a few shots under my belt the metering seams very nice. And I have been playing with the camera in front of the TV in bad light and the exposure looks good. But again, that's only the first few shots.

03-08-2012, 07:07 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by joelovotti Quote
With only a few shots under my belt the metering seams very nice. And I have been playing with the camera in front of the TV in bad light and the exposure looks good. But again, that's only the first few shots.
Dark room with TV lighting is a good test IMHO.
03-09-2012, 03:24 AM   #6
Pentaxian

If the lense was a pentax-m can the K-01 make the exposure (in my K10D is with the green button)

03-09-2012, 05:41 AM   #7

Looking forward to the update with your 10 minute feelings
03-09-2012, 08:32 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Tycn Quote
Looking forward to the update with your 10 minute feelings
Yes, but I think the *real* revelations will come at the 11 minute update.