Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-09-2012, 06:11 PM   #16
Lens Buying Addict

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Welfl Quote
Excellent! That is the kind of encouraging statement I've been hoping to hear!

I'm curious: Have you tried focus peaking with one or more old manual lenses yet? How does the K-01 handle with a longer lens on it? I held an old Pentax KX film camera -- with a heavy, manual 28-70 lens attached -- out in front of me and pretended I was looking at an LCD screen while "focusing" the lens. The KX is 52.5mm thick, while the K-01 is 58mm thick, so the difference between them isn't that great (which surprised me). Without actually having a screen to look at I couldn't tell if I was getting a relatively accurate feel for the K-01 or not, but the experience wasn't entirely as comfortable as I had hoped; nonetheless, I'm sure I could easily get used to it, as long as I'm not trying to film any action scenes that way.

Thank you.

----------

My Flickr account.
I'll do this Monday when mine gets here and post up (click my Lenses link in my sig. I'll go up to 200/2.5) - but - hold the K-01 like a SLR film camera cradling the body n your left palm, index finger and thumb on the focusing ring. Put your arms tight to your side and bring the camera up 6-8" away from your face. It works - I held the position for 7 minutes with my KX, MESuper, LX and even tried it with an SF1N (now there's a brick). It works.

03-09-2012, 06:12 PM   #17

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Excellent! That is the kind of encouraging statement I've been hoping to hear!

I'm curious: Have you tried focus peaking with one or more old manual lenses yet? How does the K-01 handle with a longer lens on it? I held an old Pentax KX film camera -- with a heavy, manual 28-70 lens attached -- out in front of me and pretended I was looking at an LCD screen while "focusing" the lens. The KX is 52.5mm thick, while the K-01 is 58mm thick, so the difference between them isn't that great (which surprised me). Without actually having a screen to look at I couldn't tell if I was getting a relatively accurate feel for the K-01 or not, but the experience wasn't entirely as comfortable as I had hoped; nonetheless, I'm sure I could easily get used to it, as long as I'm not trying to film any action scenes that way.

Thank you.
I have a limited selected of K-mount lenses; the longest lens I have isn't all that long at all, an 18-55 zoom that was the kit lens for my old *ist DL. However, using this lens in manual with focus peaking was, for me, WAY quicker and more efficient that using it in autofocus. That may be because I am so used to using film cameras, but I spent a good deal of time today out there with that lens in focus select mode (which works very well on the 40mm XS, let me be quick to add) and it was constantly struggling to lock on my target. Could be me; probably is me, but I finally just switched over to manual and it was a joy. Smooth, fast, clear. I was serious earlier when I said I can't see using autofocus again - at least, not with that lens.

Old lenses -- so far, I've mounted one; a Rikenon 2/50mm which was the original kit lens that came with the 1979-era Ricoh KR-5 Super SLR that I have. Yes, the focus peaking works with that old thing on it, too. I haven't taken any shots with it because I need to read up on how to get the camera to meter with the old lenses on. But the focus peaking works.
03-09-2012, 08:26 PM - 1 Like   #18

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I'll do this Monday when mine gets here and post up (click my Lenses link in my sig. I'll go up to 200/2.5) - but - hold the K-01 like a SLR film camera cradling the body n your left palm, index finger and thumb on the focusing ring. Put your arms tight to your side and bring the camera up 6-8" away from your face. It works - I held the position for 7 minutes with my KX, MESuper, LX and even tried it with an SF1N (now there's a brick). It works.
Thanks, Monochrome. I will be waiting to read your analyses after you've gotten your K-01 (those darned weekends always seem to land in the wrong places, don't they?).

I tried your method of holding the camera. After bending my wrist and hand in that uncommon angle a few times, I started to get used to it. You're right. It does help. I'll just have to get used to the idea of doing it on a regular basis if I finally decide to buy a K-01. It almost (just barely) reminded me of when I have to contort myself into an odd position in order to shoot a particularly difficult shot in pool. Ha. I don't know if it would be fun having to shoot every pool shot like that, but, as far as permanently having to hold a camera with my arm at an "odd" angle goes, it probably won't be a big deal to adapt to it.

I've been a huge fan of live view since at least 2003, due to the wonders of WYSIWYG with regard to getting the perfect lighting. I've used it with great results with my ancient P&S, and I expected to continue doing so if and when I bought a dSLR (or now maybe a MILC); but until I started reading people's comments about having to hold the K-01 in front of them with a long lens, it never occurred to me that it might not be as simple as I thought it would be. But if I expect to upgrade and continue using Live View, then I had better get used to the idea of holding it the way you suggest.

QuoteOriginally posted by ibkc Quote
I was serious earlier when I said I can't see using autofocus again - at least, not with that lens.
I really believed you the first time you said that, ibkc. That's why it was so encouraging to hear it. I have several old manual (film) lenses that are just too classy looking to let go to waste, even if they aren't top of the line.
03-09-2012, 09:36 PM - 1 Like   #19
Lens Buying Addict

Thanks, Monochrome. I will be waiting to read your analyses after you've gotten your K-01 (those darned weekends always seem to land in the wrong places, don't they?).

I tried your method of holding the camera. After bending my wrist and hand in that uncommon angle a few times, I started to get used to it. You're right. It does help. I'll just have to get used to the idea of doing it on a regular basis if I finally decide to buy a K-01.
Here's a scan of a page from the 1980 MESuper Manual. Slightly modify this position to hold the camera 6 - 8" in front of your face. You won't get the LCD all the way up to eye level comfortably, but you won't be more than three incheds below either. This position has been natural for me to hold a camera for 40 years.

Attached Images

03-09-2012, 09:43 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
Can you switch the functions of the green and red button in the menu, making it the way you want?

That rubber flap does look a little cheesy. Also noticed it in Steve Huff's clip that it was loose.
You can't make the red button act as a green button, but both have lots of different functions you can change them to, so there's a large degree of customization there, just not exactly what you're looking for.

Also, I don't find the rubber flap that fiddly. I'd rather a door like the K5, but it's not too hard to slide it back into place (that's how you get it flat, slide it in - don't press it down from on top). Once it's in, it sits flush.
03-10-2012, 10:19 AM   #21

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Here's a scan of a page from the 1980 MESuper Manual. Slightly modify this position to hold the camera 6 - 8" in front of your face
Hmmm, actually, I've been holding my SLRs like the guy in the pictures since I got my first one in 1978. Maybe I was reading a bit too much into your initial instructions.

Regrettably, I probably won't be able to hold it 6" to 8" in front of my face due to my eyesight. Well, I could if I had to, but it wouldn't be ideal. I just now held my Nikon E4300 (don't laugh too hard ; I've composed some pretty decent pictures with it ) as if I was going to take a picture, and measured the distance with a yard stick. The ideal distance for my eyes is 12" to 14". Even just a few months ago, I might have had to hold it further out than that, but I've been taking what amounts to two miracle vitamin supplements (BioAstin Astaxanthin and I-Caps, both from Amazon), and my eyesight has improved by about 85 percent. In other words, it seems to be about 15 percent from what it was when I was in my 20s, 30s and very early 40s. They are amazing.
03-10-2012, 10:46 AM   #22
Lens Buying Addict

Sorry about the vision. I'm wearing tri-focals so the distance works for me. Feels really natural, too.