Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
03-08-2012, 07:54 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
My only complaint ...

The rubber door that covers the slots for the SD card/USB/AV/HDMI ports: it's a pain. I may wind up putting a strip of gaffer tape over it to keep the strap from knocking it loose.

But other than, I find it quite comfortable to hold. I do not have any long, heavy lenses, so there are no problems with weight or holding it steady. The few test photos I've taken in this dark room look great; I've just been messing around with it, so I've got nothing worth showing. It didn't arrive until after 4PM, we went out to eat while the battery was charging and there hasn't been time to do very much with it yet.

But I plan to be out and about with it as much as possible tomorrow!

03-08-2012, 07:55 PM   #2
Veteran Member

You need more to complain about =p
03-08-2012, 08:21 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Ha... ha...
sorry this type of post won't do on PF.

we need something to stir up the intrigue.
03-08-2012, 11:56 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Apart from that I've only been able to find one fundamental flaw with this camera, and that's the placement of the green button. If you have average fingers, you can't reach it without moving the position of your hand on the camera. The green button should have been switched with the play button IMO.

There are a few other quirks, but I'll keep quiet until the review is posted and things are tested more thoroughly.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
03-09-2012, 12:45 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Apart from that I've only been able to find one fundamental flaw with this camera, and that's the placement of the green button. If you have average fingers, you can't reach it without moving the position of your hand on the camera. The green button should have been switched with the play button IMO.

There are a few other quirks, but I'll keep quiet until the review is posted and things are tested more thoroughly.
Yeah, I had the same feeling too. Ended up I started to use my thumb tip to press the green button, feel not too bad now
03-09-2012, 12:58 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
one fundamental flaw with this camera, and that's the placement of the green button.
Surely you jest.

Compared to the K-5, where the green button is tiny and crowded in amongst a bunch of other levers and buttons which make it difficult to select, the K-01 green button seems very easy to access.

Just try pressing the K-5 green button if you are a left-eye shooter where your nose is directly in the way of the green button, or with gloves on.
03-09-2012, 01:45 AM   #7

I really wanted the Green Button to be red this time!

03-09-2012, 02:18 AM   #8
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by tkj365 Quote
I really wanted the Green Button to be red this time!
Can you switch the functions of the green and red button in the menu, making it the way you want?

That rubber flap does look a little cheesy. Also noticed it in Steve Huff's clip that it was loose.
03-09-2012, 04:19 AM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
Can you switch the functions of the green and red button in the menu, making it the way you want?

That rubber flap does look a little cheesy. Also noticed it in Steve Huff's clip that it was loose.
The flap can be made to close properly, but it's an annoyingly long process. Perhaps practice will make it simpler, but in a camera, you really want that door to just stay in place. Oh well.

Here's a little test shot. Almost SOOC - I made a couple of minor adjustments in RAW, but I didn't spend a lot of time on it. When I took this, there were still a few default settings in place. I quite like this little pancake lens, though!

03-09-2012, 06:03 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I wondered about that. DSLR firmwares allowed a bit of that.
03-09-2012, 06:06 AM   #11
Veteran Member

The red button isn't in a good spot, either. I'm gonna gonna go on record as saying both the red and green buttons are in lousy locations.

03-09-2012, 12:43 PM   #12
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
No, you can't unfortunately.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
03-09-2012, 02:13 PM   #13
raz

My concern is the focus speed. Right now I have a gf2 and a Pentax k100D. The gf2 focus a lot faster than what I've seen from the videos of k-01 even in very bad light, is almost instantaneous. But of course, the images from the gf2 suck badly even compared to my old K100D.

I'm very tempted to buy the k-01 but I'm afraid not to have the same focus experience of the K100D...which focus lousy in bad light.
03-09-2012, 04:17 PM   #14

Original Poster
But boy oh boy, manual focusing with focus peaking on is amazing. It's downright fun. I'm tempted to never turn autofocus on again after playing with this setup for a while.
03-09-2012, 05:40 PM   #15

QuoteOriginally posted by ibkc Quote
But boy oh boy, manual focusing with focus peaking on is amazing. It's downright fun. I'm tempted to never turn autofocus on again after playing with this setup for a while.
Excellent! That is the kind of encouraging statement I've been hoping to hear!

I'm curious: Have you tried focus peaking with one or more old manual lenses yet? How does the K-01 handle with a longer lens on it? I held an old Pentax KX film camera -- with a heavy, manual 28-70 lens attached -- out in front of me and pretended I was looking at an LCD screen while "focusing" the lens. The KX is 52.5mm thick, while the K-01 is 58mm thick, so the difference between them isn't that great (which surprised me). Without actually having a screen to look at I couldn't tell if I was getting a relatively accurate feel for the K-01 or not, but the experience wasn't entirely as comfortable as I had hoped; nonetheless, I'm sure I could easily get used to it, as long as I'm not trying to film any action scenes that way.

Thank you.

----------

My Flickr account.