Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-09-2012, 08:31 AM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
Now I can see what I'm dealing with.

The AF of the K5 is PDAF and that of the K-01 you love so much is the much slower CDAF.

The shutter speed of the K5 that is 1/8000, but that of the K-01 is only half.

The quality control is not limited to bodies, but to the whole company. If the quality control is better now, then when the K5 was released, then a K5 which you buy now will go through the same improved QC.

Why am I even responding to this?
How's it feel to respond to an irrational fanboy?

Thoe assertions were direct from comments here and dpreview about the K-5 over the last months, and they're pretty bogus in most cases. But they were real comments from real posters.

If we compare the K-5 to the best dSL:R's out there itr could be called a failure quite easily - and is, on a daily basis.

The K-01 is not a dSLR. I shouldn't be held to that standard any more than a WG-2 is.

In my current circumstances it (will probably) perfectly meet my needs - better than any other option available. I don't want or need another dSLR (but then, I'm not a "serious" photgrapher).

The K-01 isn't a camera that meets your needs. You don't want or need a NoVF MILC limited to K-mount clad in yellow rubber. But you are a "serious" photgrapher, so your opinion and needs shall not be challenged by some forum hobby punter and shall not be ignored by some third-tier camera company.

Where is it written that Pentax is only permitted to make cameras that meet your needs?

If you get in line now you might have a D800 by Photokina. Don't let the battery door hit your . . .

Last edited by monochrome; 03-09-2012 at 08:45 AM.
03-09-2012, 08:36 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I like their lineup, too, for the most part. An improved flash system, SDM2, longer warranties, better service and a real marketing effort would go a long, long way. I'd rather seem them fix what they've got as opposed to expanding.

I'm not sure why so many people want to see Pentax take on Canon and Nikon in the professional market. The world already has Nikon and Canon playing in that area. It's a battle Pentax simply can't win.

Pentax can find success with unique, useful, high-quality products that emphasize value. Olympus and Fuji are fighting for this market, too. Pentax needs to aim pretty high.

The Q is terrific for what it is except cost.

QuoteOriginally posted by rfortson Quote
While I can certainly understand this camera isn't for everyone, I don't think this means Pentax will quit making dSLRs. They are still a small company, yet they've got a nice range of products. The Optio water-resistant P&S cams, the Q (not sure where/how that fits in, to be honest), the K-01 for a nice mirrorless option, the K5 for a very nice dSLR, and the 645D if you want ultimate image quality. To me, that's an impressive lineup, and about all I can expect out of a company the size of Pentax.

Given that you can still find Kx and Kr's around, that should have something for everyone. I'm optimistic about Pentax's future.

Last edited by krebsy75; 03-09-2012 at 08:46 AM.
03-09-2012, 08:42 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Pentax took a page from Apple's book with the K-01s one-of-a-kind, form-over-function design. If they put marketing dollars towards this they could sell a shitload of these cams. From a design perspective, it makes everything else out there look like a boring black box.
03-09-2012, 08:57 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
How's it feel to respond to an irrational fanboy?

Thoe assertions were direct from comments here and dpreview about the K-5 over the last months, and they're pretty bogus in most cases. But they were real comments from real posters.

If we compare the K-5 to the best dSL:R's out there itr could be called a failure quite easily - and is, on a daily basis.

The K-01 is not a dSLR. I shouldn't be held to that standard any more than a WG-2 is.

In my current circumstances it (will probably) perfectly meet my needs - better than any other option available. I don't want or need another dSLR (but then, I'm not a "serious" photgrapher).

The K-01 isn't a camera that meets your needs. You don't want or need a NoVF MILC limited to K-mount clad in yellow rubber. But you are a "serious" photgrapher, so your opinion and needs shall not be challenged by some forum hobby punter and shall not be ignored by some third-tier camera company.

Where is it written that Pentax is only permitted to make cameras that meet your needs?

If you get in line now you might have a D800 by Photokina. Don't let the battery door hit your . . .
You assume to much. The OP stated that the K-01 was a first succes in a long line of failures. But Pentax simply does NOT have a long line of failures. All their digital bodies were of great quality. The only failure there was that there weren't more types.

The colourfull KX, the Q and the K-01 all play the quteness-card. With which they say: "Sorry, we can't do better, only prettier." Probably all the result of Hoya restrictions and mismanagement. This will not do with Ricoh.

03-09-2012, 09:06 AM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

You assume to much. The OP stated that the K-01 was a first succes in a long line of failures. But Pentax simply does NOT have a long line of failures. All their digital bodies were of great quality. The only failure there was that there weren't more types.

The colourfull KX, the Q and the K-01 all play the quteness-card. With which they say: "Sorry, we can't do better, only prettier." Probably all the result of Hoya restrictions and mismanagement. This will not do with Ricoh.
Well OK - valid response. But the K-01 is still not a FAIL. Missing the boat on the next gen K-5 might turn out to be a corporate-risk failure; missing the market for FF when there was still a chance to gain share will likely be seen as a critical, irretrievable miss.

I still think Ricoh will produce all the bodies people want with some features and elements that distinguish Pentax from just another Canon. I think we'll see surprises this spring, summer and Photokina. K3 / K5MkII is coming, and sooner than we think. LX-D might even be around the (calendar) corner.

What frustrates everyone is we want those things now. We don't mind so much a quirky MILC that can't be classified - I mean, so what if they make it; so what if the make colored bodies. But we don't want another weirdness right now.
03-09-2012, 09:07 AM   #21
Inactive Account

To me, the K-01 is the very first FAIL in their entire history.
To me, too. BUT it's definetely not a fail for everyone. I'm simply not part of their target audience - when i reviewed the last 200 pics I took and read the manual I had to realize, that none of my pictures could be realized with a k-01, except some snapshots I took with a p&s.
But I'm sure Pentax will continue to build some decent cameras - maybe a mirrorless in between k-r and k-5 with some more enthusiastic features or at least a wired remote to compensate the lack of possibilities.
03-09-2012, 09:09 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I never said Pentax had a string of failures. I said they don't have a recent track record of exceeding expectations.

Some recent disappointments of significance include:
- K-r with its front-focusing problems (I have personal experience with this. See https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-r-forum/126823-k-r-focus-test-images.html)
- DA 18-135mm image quality for the money (my copy had worse image quality at 55mm than our DA* 55mm, DAII 18-55mm and DA 55-300mm).
- DA* 16-50 image quality for the money (I rented this once)
- SDM in DA* zoom lenses (I only have the 55mm, so far so good)

03-09-2012, 09:17 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Clavius, have you actually handled a K-01?

I had a brief hands-on with one and (to me) its CDAF was not at all appreciably slower than my K-5's PDAF, and it was far more accurate at wide apertures.

Just another data point...
03-09-2012, 09:22 AM - 2 Likes   #24
Pentaxian

I watch the golden finches out at the feeder, and I think, wouldn't it be better for them as a whole if they didn't squabble at the feeder? But there they are , one is taking a spot at the feeder, spending 90% of his time defending it instead of grabbing a seed, moving away to eat it and coming back for another. so others can get in and eat. But there they are, squabbling away. You have to conclude, squabbling in some way makes their life complete... I'm just talking about birds of course....
03-09-2012, 09:23 AM   #25
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

QuoteOriginally posted by krebsy97 Quote
It's human nature, unfortunately. We're wired to be mean and condescending when we don't agree with or like someone.
Agree completely...and not many of us are immune. I have to fight to keep my big mouth shut all too often, and remember that we all see things differently, all have different tastes, and all have different needs. While I can't possibly imagine why anyone would want a K-01 more than a block of fine yellow cheddar cheese, some do, and they seem thrilled. I can't say I am smarter or more qualified than they are, after all, I don't even have a K-01 ....(and never will!)

Seriously, I will never understand what makes people "tick"....and neither will anyone else.

Regards! K-01 owners, enjoy, no amount of negativity should erase your enthusiasm. Over on DPR they have beat my little X10 half to death......and it is still one of the best cameras I have ever touched, my enthusiasm has not been diminished one iota....yours shouldn't be either.

Regards!
03-09-2012, 09:32 AM   #26
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
Agree completely...and not many of us are immune. I have to fight to keep my big mouth shut all too often, and remember that we all see things differently, all have different tastes, and all have different needs. While I can't possibly imagine why anyone would want a K-01 more than a block of fine yellow cheddar cheese, some do, and they seem thrilled. I can't say I am smarter or more qualified than they are, after all, I don't even have a K-01 ....(and never will!)

Seriously, I will never understand what makes people "tick"....and neither will anyone else.

Regards! K-01 owners, enjoy, no amount of negativity should erase your enthusiasm. Over on DPR they have beat my little X10 half to death......and it is still one of the best cameras I have ever touched, my enthusiasm has not been diminished one iota....yours shouldn't be either.

Regards!
I (suspect - I don't get mine until Monay) I shall enjoy using it and posting the results of my enjoyment here. And all will be right with the world again.

And I'm really going to enjoy posting a shot of something handheld with a 200 or the 55-300 at 300. Of course Otis wouldn't sit for a portrait if he knew you were shooting with a K-01.
03-09-2012, 09:44 AM   #27

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by deadwolfbones Quote
Clavius, have you actually handled a K-01?
I want to know this, too.

I'm also checking my calendar to make sure that it's not March of 2013, and I somehow slept through an entire year. Otherwise, how can anyone know if any product is a failure or not?

03-09-2012, 10:07 AM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
The K-5 was an abject failure. Crap autodcus, crap WB, crap shutter speed, crap flash sync. No quality control, random faults that rendered it useless, no dependable service. I wouldn't buy one of those POS cameras for anything.
This is the type of post where I wonder if an undercover user of another camera is using hyperboles in order to stir the pot.

Look at what I get with the K-5:

Flickr: Andrew's Wildlife's Photostream
03-09-2012, 10:15 AM   #29
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I'm pretty sure he was joking.

QuoteOriginally posted by traderdrew Quote
This is the type of post where I wonder if an undercover user of another camera is using hyperboles in order to stir the pot.

03-09-2012, 10:16 AM   #30
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by traderdrew Quote

Read the following posts. I've been here forever and I only have Pentax, since 1975. I was illustrating the point that it is unfair to judge the K-01 against a full dSLR and call it a failure. All the criticisms were made either here or on dpreview about the K-5 by real peolle over the last 18 monhts.