Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
03-09-2012, 07:08 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Pentax: You've Exceeded My Expectations

Pentax doesn't always exceed expectations with their products. In fact, they sometimes fail to even meet. With the new K-01, however, they freakin' knocked it out of the park!

We received a white one from B&H the other day. WOW! The K-01 really is beautiful. And the quality... you can tell extra care went into this product. Design, engineering, and manufacturing are all first rate. For the first time in a long time, Pentax, you've exceeded my expectations!

My initial reaction is that the cam should prove wonderful for street and candid photography. The K-01 and a bunch of DA Limiteds... so sweet. It's definitely awkward to use with a zoom. Our 17-70 also seemed fussy focusing on the long end. It might also be difficult to get K5-level sharpness using natural light indoors. This is because you're forced to hold the cam away from your body - resulting in more movement when the shutter button is pressed.

Out of the box I feel the K-01 is best suited for primes. We're gonna put it through its paces this weekend to get a better feel for things. It should be a great complement to our K5.

Are you thinking about getting a K-01? If yes, please keep this in mind: it's NOT a DSLR and NOT meant to replace one. It's a one-of-a-kind product, really. We're hoping it will make picture-taking more fun for my sometimes techno-phobic wife.

Last edited by krebsy75; 03-09-2012 at 07:50 AM.
03-09-2012, 07:41 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The K-01 with 15mm, 21mm, 40mm, 70mm LTD primes makes a whole lot of sense to me also

Would love to have that as a second kit, just can't give up on a viewfinder for some of the things I enjoy shooting

Last edited by jezza323; 03-09-2012 at 07:57 AM.
03-09-2012, 07:51 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Funny how tastes can vary. (And it's good that they do!) To me, the K-01 is the very first FAIL in their entire history. I hope this was only their attempt to bite a piece of the APSC mirrorless market. And that they can now move on to the more serious cameras. I would seriously hate to have to jump to another brand if Pentax keeps issueing models like this.
03-09-2012, 07:53 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
Funny how tastes can vary. (And it's good that they do!) To me, the K-01 is the very first FAIL in their entire history. I hope this was only their attempt to bite a piece of the APSC mirrorless market. And that they can now move on to the more serious cameras. I would seriously hate to have to jump to another brand if Pentax keeps issueing models like this.
It is a serious camera. It is a Home Run.

If you disagree don't buy it. Move along. Nothing to see here.

03-09-2012, 07:56 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Don't buy it.
No sh*t, Sherlock!
03-09-2012, 07:58 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
There are many different types of photography people enjoy. The K-01 might not appeal to you for good reason. With the kind of photos we capture, I see value.

Without question, this is gonna be a quirky cam. There isn't a single Pentax lens optimized for contrast-detection auto-focus. I can see certain lenses not playing nice with this thing.

03-09-2012, 07:58 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
No sh*t, Sherlock!
The K-5 was an abject failure. Crap autodcus, crap WB, crap shutter speed, crap flash sync. No quality control, random faults that rendered it useless, no dependable service. I wouldn't buy one of those POS cameras for anything.

03-09-2012, 08:06 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Crap autodcus, crap WB, crap shutter speed, crap flash sync. No quality control, random faults that rendered it useless, no dependable service.
Now I can see what I'm dealing with.

The AF of the K5 is PDAF and that of the K-01 you love so much is the much slower CDAF.

The shutter speed of the K5 that is 1/8000, but that of the K-01 is only half.

The quality control is not limited to bodies, but to the whole company. If the quality control is better now, then when the K5 was released, then a K5 which you buy now will go through the same improved QC.

Why am I even responding to this?
03-09-2012, 08:08 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I know you're kidding but this bears mentioning: The K5 was so close to camera perfection. If they just spent a little more time refining prototypes, maybe they would have found some of the faults users did. And the flash-exposure issue... why this wasn't discovered first-thing is truly baffling.

Hopefully Ricoh will improve quality control.

BTW: At first glance, flash exposures with the K-01 seem spot on.

The K-5 was an abject failure. Crap autodcus, crap WB, crap shutter speed, crap flash sync. No quality control, random faults that rendered it useless, no dependable service. I wouldn't buy one of those POS cameras for anything.
03-09-2012, 08:18 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jezza323 Quote
The K-01 with 15mm, 21mm, 40mm, 70mm LTD primes makes a whole lot of sense to me also

<snip>
That's exactly what I'm going to use on mine. It just seems like a great little travel kit with high IQ. I get my white one today!
03-09-2012, 08:19 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Being able to share batteries with a K-5 is an added bonus as well
03-09-2012, 08:24 AM   #12
Veteran Member

While I can certainly understand this camera isn't for everyone, I don't think this means Pentax will quit making dSLRs. They are still a small company, yet they've got a nice range of products. The Optio water-resistant P&S cams, the Q (not sure where/how that fits in, to be honest), the K-01 for a nice mirrorless option, the K5 for a very nice dSLR, and the 645D if you want ultimate image quality. To me, that's an impressive lineup, and about all I can expect out of a company the size of Pentax.

Given that you can still find Kx and Kr's around, that should have something for everyone. I'm optimistic about Pentax's future.
03-09-2012, 08:26 AM   #13

Photos: Albums
I really don't understand why some folks here are so hateful is response to simple statement of opinion by others. Personal insults are not needed, or helpful.
03-09-2012, 08:28 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Ditto.

QuoteOriginally posted by jezza323 Quote
Being able to share batteries with a K-5 is an added bonus as well
03-09-2012, 08:30 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
It's human nature, unfortunately. We're wired to be mean and condescending when we don't agree with or like someone.

QuoteOriginally posted by snkenai Quote
I really don't understand why some folks here are so hateful is response to simple statement of opinion by others. Personal insults are not needed, or helpful.