Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
03-09-2012, 11:21 AM   #31
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I find it incredibly ironic that a key aspect of DSLRs is flexibility, yet so many DSLR users are so inflexible.

03-09-2012, 11:28 AM   #32
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Hence why the K-01 isn't a DSLR.

Inflexible users need not apply.

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
I find it incredibly ironic that a key aspect of DSLRs is flexibility, yet so many DSLR users are so inflexible.
03-09-2012, 11:30 AM   #33
Banned

The K-01 beats the heck out of the K-5 for my use. Finally after begging for manual control in video mode the K-01 has full manual control of iso, shutter speed and aperture in video mode. It also beats the K-5 with 1080p30,25,24 and 720p60 h.264.

Last edited by jogiba; 03-09-2012 at 11:43 AM.
03-09-2012, 11:37 AM   #34
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by krebsy97 Quote

I was poking at the DSLR users who seem upset with the K-01, not referencing the K-01 itself.

03-09-2012, 12:07 PM - 1 Like   #35
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

and we got . . . wait for it . . . Mark Newson????

In their defense many (most?) dSLR users here have waited, and waited, and waited for a FF camera - even for a K-5 replacement - while Pentax continues its frustrating, seemingly uneconomic product development plan. They wait for Pentax USA to start marketing (not realizing that P-USA has outsourced virtually EVERY business function a distributor should normally provide). Hell, they've been waiting 6 months for a K-5 replacement; better autofocus; better flash sync - FFS, better flashes; long lenses; DC motors or HSM or SDM that works; better service.

What's the big CES drop? A compact??? But wait - there's a rumor for CP+ - - - aaaaaand its the K-01. Thud. Nikon boys got their new toys. Canon, Fuji, Sony, Oly - everybody else got really cool new toys for the spring shooting season - and we got . . . wait for it . . . Mark Newson????

I'd be disappointed, too.

What they don't seem to realize is that if Pentax makes only $100 a K-01 unit this year, and they sell 100,000 units, that's $10,000,000.

That buys a lot of engineers. Or marketing; Or amortization of PrimeM. Or (investment in) losses on the first FF Pentax body.

Rather than calling the K-01 a FAIL, and making me feel like an ignoramous for waiting patiently until my Black one gets here while others have thiers and for being so "unserious" (someone actually PM'ed me they wouldn't read my review because I'm not a "serious" photgrapher) - rather than kneecapping Pentax repeatedly, day after day after day - they should be shouting from the rooftops how great the camera is (though its not for them) and PRAYING that Pentax has a runaway hit!!!

Instead they accuse Pentax of being unserious and cutie-pie - God forbid, not another colored camera (that Japanese young women scooped up by the 1000's).

So - I empathize with you - I feel your pain - but (not directed at a postrer on this thread) oh my everyone, shut the F#$% up about everything wrong with the camera. It's going to be a great camera and for my uses probably the best thing out there.

And if one more person tells me Pentax screwed the pooch and what I really need (but I'm not experienced enough to know it) is MFT - well, then, I'm outta here. (Well. no, that's not true. Mainly because the next post will start, "Pentax screwed the pooch . . . ").

Last edited by monochrome; 03-09-2012 at 12:24 PM.
03-09-2012, 12:09 PM   #36
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I don't know how someone could call a camera a failure without actually holding it your hands... at least once.

The K-01 isn't suppose to replace anything existing in the Pentax lineup. I think it was a good product to say that Pentax can do video properly, and also show that existing 35mm mounts are still very capable with all of these mirrorless mounts cropping up.

Had they gone straight black for the headline body and not the oddly placed silver bits on top of black, I don't think it would have had as much backlash against the look of the camera...
03-09-2012, 12:13 PM   #37
Forum Member

Just wish my K-01 was arriving as fast as some of you are getting yours.

03-09-2012, 12:21 PM   #38
Veteran Member

"Pentax fails because it doesn't give me what I want"

Maybe users should be using that line instead of "Product from Pentax fails"
03-09-2012, 06:47 PM   #39
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

We have a K5 "Post your K5 Photos" thread.....want to shut people up, start your own and lets see what you can do? Nothing say success like great photos, and the K5 has page after page of them........get busy out there with those K-01's! A few good Squirrel shots might win over Otis.......you never know!

Regards!
03-09-2012, 06:57 PM   #40
Veteran Member

Original Poster
We tried the focus peaking feature tonight. AWESOME!. Finally, manual focus without fussing with focus screens.

We also tried our DA 35mm Limited macro. AF was terrible in our incandescent lit rim. Luckily, manual focus is an option.
03-09-2012, 08:10 PM   #41
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
So - I empathize with you - I feel your pain - but (not directed at a postrer on this thread) oh my everyone, shut the F#$% up about everything wrong with the camera. It's going to be a great camera and for my uses probably the best thing out there.
I agree with your entire post. And I especially agree with your statements I've quoted. If I bought a 645D and then complained that I couldn't get any good BIF shots, people would scream at me that I bought the wrong tool for my need. I look at the K-01 the same way; it fits a specific set of needs, and it will hopefully excel and generate profit and enthusiasm for Pentax, which in turn will spur development of new gear.
03-09-2012, 08:11 PM   #42
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

We tried the focus peaking feature tonight. AWESOME!. Finally, manual focus without fussing with focus screens.

We also tried our DA 35mm Limited macro. AF was terrible in our incandescent lit rim. Luckily, manual focus is an option.
Hmmm... is the DA35 the only lens that is associated with this "terrible" AF?
03-09-2012, 08:27 PM   #43
Veteran Member

Original Poster
So far, yes. It was unusable and a bit disappointing. Perhaps this lens will perform better with more ambient light.

Our 20 x 15 living room is lit with two torch lamps that have 150 watt incandescent bulbs.

Hmmm... is the DA35 the only lens that is associated with this "terrible" AF?
03-09-2012, 08:35 PM   #44
Veteran Member

Have you tried other F2.8 or slower lenses?
03-09-2012, 09:04 PM   #45
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
We have a K5 "Post your K5 Photos" thread.....want to shut people up, start your own and lets see what you can do? Nothing say success like great photos, and the K5 has page after page of them........get busy out there with those K-01's! A few good Squirrel shots might win over Otis.......you never know!

Regards!
That's the plan. Considering how many posters here actually have held a K-01 as of today I stand by my comment regarding silence.