Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-10-2012, 10:40 AM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Is that last pic a squirrel molesting your new setup?

03-10-2012, 10:51 AM   #17
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Those look pretty heavy to hold at arm's length too. Saw some speculation about needing big biceps to hold a telephoto on the K-01, but those old Speed Graphics look like more of a handful. Maybe photographers went to the gym more often in the old days.
03-10-2012, 02:23 PM   #18

Original Poster
Awesome!
Jens
03-10-2012, 02:38 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
i'd like to see someone make a folded light path lcdvf. the length could be reduced to about 2" and the eyepiece could be brought up to the same position as a dslr's optical viewfinder, with more room under it for your nose. i'll probably make my own at some point, i just dread doing geometry. :P

03-10-2012, 04:41 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Pentax users in Singapore (we're just on the Equator) have no issues using at the K-01 in our tropical sun so I actually have to wonder if the TS's claims are to be taken seriously.
03-10-2012, 06:56 PM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Photodana Quote
I ordered this camera for three reasons:
1. Big sensor compared to other compacts
2. I can use all my Pentax lenses (guess I own 50 or more original SMC Pentax lenses)
3. Very good low light/high ISO camera (I suspect). I rarely use a flash for snapshots. It annoys people.
If it had a viewfinder, that would be the fourth reason
Number five and six would probably be the burst shot - and the HDR options.
Number 7 must be the boxy design, which makes it perfect for mounting in panorama heads/nodal point adapters.

After all - the K-01 seems to get 6 out of 7 of my wishes right. That's not too bad :-)
If there were no K-01, I'd probably buy a Canon G1X. (Don't want changable lenses, if they're not K-mount lenses)

Look at this shade, please:
Lumix-LC5_LCD-Hood-web | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Links for such accessories for th K-01 will be very welcome ...
Regards
Jens
That hood thingy is cool
03-11-2012, 08:37 AM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I am astonished at the number of members with 20 posts who joined in 2008 who feel compelled to make negative comments about the K-01 - before they've (or we've) even tried it. I will know by a week from today whether the "full-sun" issue that has been raised with such a roar (before anyione even used the camera) is a real impediment to using the K-01.
Well, for the record, I personally have never said the lack of a viewfinder is a deal-breaker with the K-01. But I have posted a number of times that finding out how well the K-01's rear LCD does in bright sunlight is a top priority for me. That's because here is no EVF to fall back on.

From what I can see, neither image quality nor focus speed is an issue with the K-01. Even its size isn't really a problem if one is honest with one's self. So, I have high hopes.

But, so far, almost no one who currently owns or has access to a K-01 has directly mentioned LCD performance in bright sunlight - despite several requests from forum members for this kind of information. If someone with a K-01 would simply come out and talk about this part of the camera experience, it would be a big help.

Last edited by Biro; 03-11-2012 at 08:43 AM.
03-30-2012, 11:33 PM   #23

Original Poster
I have today ordered af Digishield form kaiser Fototeknik in Germany:
Kaiser 6075 3.0" digiShield

This shade is collabsible and will attatch to the tripod mount. It comes in silver and black.
Hope this solves some of my viewfinder-problem. The problem isn't that the sun makes my screen unreadable - but that it works as a mirror - I can sometimes see everything behind me - but not the electronic image shown on the LCD.

Regards
Jens
03-31-2012, 04:22 AM   #24

I bought a black version of the digisheild and it did not help with my GF1. What happened was that in bright sunlight. My face glowed straight through the digisheild and so the LCD was still washed out. I guess you could look from below or from the side and try to have non bright scene behind you. The Hoodman or similar full covers work a lot better but are such a pain to use. There is the fella who has the neat video setup which is fine for that application but to keep raising the camera and lowering it, it just gets tiresome. The sheer lack of "I got mine" posts shows what a bad judgement Pentax made with this cam. A built in or add on EVF would have made this quite a hot commodity in the Pentax community even with the poor functional design. You should not have to go to such lengths to overcome such an obvious short coming of a product. Just my two cents, Dave
03-31-2012, 04:41 AM   #25
Banned

My LCDVF take a second to attach on my K-01.

03-31-2012, 05:04 AM - 1 Like   #26

I use a Zacuto Pro 2.5 viewfinder with the K-01 and it solves the sun issue but also is terrific if your eyes aren't great, like mine and for shooting video. It isn't cheap but it can also be used on many cameras and is easily installed and removed through the tripod screw, so no "permanent" attachment. It's a very nice, useful and well built accessory. By the way I am loving this camera with primes.
03-31-2012, 07:00 AM   #27
Forum Member

K-01 in bright sunlight

Just dialed it up to max brightness via menu and no problems now! Even bright sun over my shoulder...
03-31-2012, 07:01 AM   #28
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by djc737 Quote
I bought a black version of the digisheild and it did not help with my GF1. What happened was that in bright sunlight. My face glowed straight through the digisheild and so the LCD was still washed out. I guess you could look from below or from the side and try to have non bright scene behind you. The Hoodman or similar full covers work a lot better but are such a pain to use. There is the fella who has the neat video setup which is fine for that application but to keep raising the camera and lowering it, it just gets tiresome. The sheer lack of "I got mine" posts shows what a bad judgement Pentax made with this cam. A built in or add on EVF would have made this quite a hot commodity in the Pentax community even with the poor functional design. You should not have to go to such lengths to overcome such an obvious short coming of a product. Just my two cents, Dave
I just wear a hat that shades my face and the LCD. I have no reflections and no problems using at all. I started doing this many years ago when I found I couldn't see the info inside the OVF in bright sun due to light leaking in. Some say a long bill ball cap but I use a wide brim bucket hat becasue the bill hit the back of the BF.

rfortson has posted a series of noonday sun shots demonstrating this can be done.
04-07-2012, 11:30 AM   #29

Original Poster
I got the camera 21.st. of March. And I have done some testing: Testing the Pentax K-01 - a set on Flickr
It's a very nice camera. And yes, the viewfinder is giving me trouble in bright sunlight. So, I will order a Kaiser DigiShild 6055 (black) which will probably help me seeing the viewfinder in bright light.
Regards
Jens
04-07-2012, 04:59 PM   #30

Did some testing on some Loupes or options I can find in the local stores, I picked the Zacuto Z-finder, Hoodman Loupe ansd SWIVI External Monitor for testing for K-5 and K-01.
Findings:

1. Zacuto Z-finder - #1 on the list but if installed to the K-5 it interferes with the optical viewfinder especially with the Pentax magnifier, will work with the K-01 but to expensive to buy for only one Camera unit. $350 Cdn. no buy.

2. Hoodman Loupe - Available with a 3x magnifier on the Crane Kit, hotshoe unusable with crane kit, ugly kit when installed. $260 Cdn. no buy.

3. SWIVI 5" External Monitor - Good concept, will be able to save battery life of your camera coz your using external monitor, wide view. Downside is a little big for K-01 and unreliable quality, lots of complain with the product. The product we tested is brand new and its faulty already. $350 Cdn. no buy.

Gave up but as I passed by the shelves I've seen the Delkin 3' Pop up Shade, for $20 I'll give it a try. I was very satisfied upon installing it, serves the purpose - don't block 100% of sunlight but useful - I always shoot with the K-5 outdoors and this is only a backup. The sun shade also serves as a very reliable protection for the LCD when storing the camera, and also no need for extra room in your bag. SHADE IS ALSO REMOVABLE.

Saved a lot of money, I will just keep the money for a nice lens or a K-03 which has a viewfinder installed. Enjoy shooting with your K-01 and cheers.