Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2987 Likes Search this Thread
06-05-2013, 07:59 AM   #1531
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by DogLover Quote
A few from my local zoo. All with K-01 and DA*50-135.
Great shots! I especially like the rendering of the meerkat photo and the lighting of the duck photo though I must admit those damn AFLAC commercials got me so that every time I see a white duck like that I hear that damn voice

QuoteOriginally posted by LeRolls Quote
Some puppies! Just curious, which of the three shots do you like the most?
I also vote for #2, the perfect focus on the eyes combined with the closeness to them as a viewer makes me want to take the little guy home... although when showing my wife these she liked them all (there are no second place puppy pictures as far as she's concerned )

QuoteOriginally posted by littledrawe Quote
I like the liveview on the K-01 for composing with the 10-20mm I know most other bodies have a live view option but this is one of the things I like about this body.
Excellent starbursts in these!

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
A couple with the DA 40.
Both are very nice but I particularly like the sense of distance between the background and foreground in the second one.

06-05-2013, 08:02 AM   #1532
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by gda13 Quote
I also vote for #2, the perfect focus on the eyes combined with the closeness to them as a viewer makes me want to take the little guy home... although when showing my wife these she liked them all (there are no second place puppy pictures as far as she's concerned )
Thanks for the input from both you and your wife!
06-05-2013, 09:43 AM   #1533
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gda13 Quote
Great shots! I especially like the rendering of the meerkat photo and the lighting of the duck photo though I must admit those damn AFLAC commercials got me so that every time I see a white duck like that I hear that damn voice
Thanks! My father-in-law, upon seeing that photo, also immediately said AFLAC.
06-05-2013, 04:04 PM - 3 Likes   #1534
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
High Winds over the Court of Patriarchs

I follow this thread closely but don't post many photos in spite of taking many shots with the K-01. I usually post over at the post your photos thread. This is cross posted over there and I feel funny cross posting photos, but I also feel I should contribute more to this thread as well. You folks are posting some great shots here and I don't see any of your names on the other thread so I don't know if you look there are not - if so - apologies for doubling up! This shot was taken having some fun with a B+W 10 stop on the 15 LTD with the aperture cranked down to f22 to get a SS of 25 secs to try to get the motion in the clouds on a very windy, but sunny day! Keep up the great work with the K-01 everyone!

06-05-2013, 04:21 PM   #1535
Veteran Member

Beautiful shot

QuoteOriginally posted by fotogaffer Quote
I follow this thread closely but don't post many photos in spite of taking many shots with the K-01. I usually post over at the post your photos thread. This is cross posted over there and I feel funny cross posting photos, but I also feel I should contribute more to this thread as well. You folks are posting some great shots here and I don't see any of your names on the other thread so I don't know if you look there are not - if so - apologies for doubling up! This shot was taken having some fun with a B+W 10 stop on the 15 LTD with the aperture cranked down to f22 to get a SS of 25 secs to try to get the motion in the clouds on a very windy, but sunny day! Keep up the great work with the K-01 everyone!
I'm glad that you decided to post on this tread! This is a beautiful shot and I enjoyed looking at it. I shoot with a k-01 and a K-10. I rarely post anything, but I do enjoy seeing what you more skillful shooter post here. I also monitor the B&W thread the K-30 thread and the K-5 thread. I'm highly impressed with the quality of photography displayed in all of those threads.
06-05-2013, 04:24 PM   #1536
Veteran Member

Excellent sharpness and detail.
06-05-2013, 05:54 PM   #1537
Veteran Member

@jimH Thanks for looking and commenting. I'm sure you've got some great shots too - don't be shy!

@DogLover Thanks for your comments!

06-06-2013, 01:48 PM   #1538
Pentaxian

This shot was taken having some fun with a B+W 10 stop on the 15 LTD with the aperture cranked down to f22 to get a SS of 25 secs to try to get the motion in the clouds on a very windy, but sunny day!
I really like this image...I can really feel a sense of time passing. Looks like perhaps you caught a couple of stars or planets with such a long exposure too. I am interested in this filter, is this the same as the B+W 3.0 ND MRC 110M?

Well with tropical storm Andrea passing through it is advisable to stay at home unless necessary so I stuck around and experimented with my DA 10-17mm and my Rokinon 85mm 1.4.

DA 10-17mm

Orchids

Moro No Kimi

Jasmine

Bamboo chimes

Rokinon 85mm 1.4

Green Tomatoes

Sumi-e

Herbs

Growth

Last edited by gda13; 06-06-2013 at 02:20 PM.
06-06-2013, 05:02 PM   #1539
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
=gda13;2410550]I really like this image...I can really feel a sense of time passing. Looks like perhaps you caught a couple of stars or planets with such a long exposure too. I am interested in this filter, is this the same as the B+W 3.0 ND MRC 110M?
Thanks gda. No stars or planets as this was taken pretty much mid-day sun! I think the star you may see in the middle is a hot pixel that I have since cloned out! You have the correct specs on the filter.
06-06-2013, 06:11 PM   #1540
Pentaxian

Great shot! I have a 9 stop Hoya that I have yet to use in such a fashion although I do quite a few long exposures in the evening at f22. I usually use the DA 21 but would love to get my hands on the DA 15.
06-06-2013, 06:46 PM - 1 Like   #1541
Veteran Member

Great shot! I have a 9 stop Hoya that I have yet to use in such a fashion although I do quite a few long exposures in the evening at f22. I usually use the DA 21 but would love to get my hands on the DA 15.
Thanks LeRolls, much appreciated. I have the DA 21 as well as the 15. I like them both, but I am sure you would like the 15 as well - both great lenses!
06-06-2013, 09:15 PM   #1542
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by littledrawe Quote
I like the liveview on the K-01 for composing with the 10-20mm I know most other bodies have a live view option but this is one of the things I like about this body.
Great photos. Can you point me to a noob guide for taking good low-light photos? I've had my K1 for a short time and usually use it in Auto mode, and I cannot get images that begin to approach yours.
06-07-2013, 05:57 AM - 1 Like   #1543

LeRolls: you produce some great images....you need to get the DA15; I look forward to seeing what you would do with it.
06-07-2013, 06:29 AM   #1544
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ucd180 Quote
Great photos. Can you point me to a noob guide for taking good low-light photos? I've had my K1 for a short time and usually use it in Auto mode, and I cannot get images that begin to approach yours.

Thanks! I'm not sure if there is a guide per se, but trial and error is the best teacher.

For these shots I used a tripod and the 2 second timer option. I closed down the aperture to f18-22 to bring out the starbursts that the 10-20 f3.5 can produce which means that my shutter speeds had to get a lot slower to compensate for the small aperture. This can be done in manual mode where you have control over both values or by using aperture priority mode and letting the camera adjust the shutter speed relative to the aperture you choose. The shutter speeds were between 10-25 seconds to allow for an acceptable exposure, which also makes the tripod necessary. Watch the ISO though, depending on what camera you use you may notice noise more so than with others if you are using a higher ISO setting.
I don't want to ramble too much, so if you have other questions feel free to ask them here. Try some shots and see what you get, post them here for more feedback too.
06-07-2013, 10:24 AM   #1545
Forum Member

Thanks for the tips, littledrawe. I'll try them out with my K-01 and various lenses.