Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-26-2014, 08:44 AM - 2 Likes   #2506
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by LeRolls Quote
I would love to someday check out Comic Con and Dragon Con in Atlanta. I have been to plenty of smaller conventions that were quite fun because you actually get the chance to socialize, talk to old friends, and make new friends. When it's too crowded there's always this overwhelming tide of people pushing you in one direction or another and you end up missing out on so much. In the end though I came away with some decent shots so I can't complain too much since that was what I was mostly there for anyway.

I agree that cosplay photography has gotten really serious/professional in the last few years and I would like to get more into that but I'm just not too keen about the heavily photoshopped/green-screen stuff that seems to be popular. Thank you for the kind comments. I do appreciate it! Oh and keep those Vietnam photos coming!

One more:
You would have a field day at Comic Con but the crowds are frenetic ( the bonus is that aside from that San Diego is very photogenic if you know where to go...if only I was into photog stuff at that time), you should definitely make it happen some day. I have no problems with "small" conventions having been to 2 in Orlando within the last couple of years and generally agree with your points, but, so long as they are marketed and advertised as such. The way Tampa's was hyped and priced I was expecting more...but that's mostly my problem since that was shortly after first moving here and not really having established a baseline for living in a smaller city. Seems like Mega Con is decent especially when seeing the quality of the Cosplayers...much higher and more mature than what I saw here. BTW what would you say is your keeper rate for shots at these kind of things? Yes more Vietnam stuff on the way.

I don't care for the "green-screen" stuff either but there are several excellent photogs who utilize real place settings to great effect...of course they haul all their lighting gear with them, as they should anyways. BTW I really like the contrast and lighting on that very last shot you posted...you found some good areas in there with decent lighting and took advantage of that in your processing.

QuoteOriginally posted by jva59 Quote
Enjoyed these a lot!
Thanks and I'm glad you enjoyed them!

Here are a few more from the Hue Citadel area. (35mm ltd once again )

Last edited by gda13; 03-28-2014 at 12:13 PM. Reason: Change to srgb
03-26-2014, 10:00 PM   #2507
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gda13 Quote
You would have a field day at Comic Con but the crowds are frenetic ( the bonus is that aside from that San Diego is very photogenic if you know where to go...if only I was into photog stuff at that time), you should definitely make it happen some day. I have no problems with "small" conventions having been to 2 in Orlando within the last couple of years and generally agree with your points, but, so long as they are marketed and advertised as such.
Maybe someday I'll be able to check out Comic Con and Dragon Con. I would love to visit both San Diego and Atlanta.

BTW what would you say is your keeper rate for shots at these kind of things?
Well, lets see...I guess about 30% as I have gotten a lot pickier about what images I'm going to spend time actually editing. There were quite a few more decent shots but they just weren't as good as the ones that were shared so I didn't feel like putting the effort in.

I don't care for the "green-screen" stuff either but there are several excellent photogs who utilize real place settings to great effect...of course they haul all their lighting gear with them, as they should anyways.
Yes, I agree and if I was ever given the opportunity to do a more controlled shoot with cosplayers I would use real environments and just try to get creative with the lighting.

BTW I really like the contrast and lighting on that very last shot you posted...you found some good areas in there with decent lighting and took advantage of that in your processing.
Thanks! I almost didn't bother as I found her expression to be a little flat but I could see the potential with the colors and the lighting so I went for it anyway. Some nice textures and colors in your latest Vietnam shots
03-27-2014, 09:22 AM   #2508

HELIOS-44-2 2\58

On walk
Attached Images

03-27-2014, 01:01 PM   #2509

SMC PENTAX-DAL 18-55mm AL

Pace of living

Attached Images

03-28-2014, 12:15 PM   #2510
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
finally spring
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-01  Photo 
03-28-2014, 03:09 PM   #2511
Site Supporter

While I love shooting flakes, I'm also hoping these will be the last ones of the season. Shot last Saturday with a Pentax-M 150mm F/3.5 plus stacked reversed Sigma 24-70mm F/3.5-5.6, along with my trusty telescoping Pringles-can flash diffuser. Dare I say that that combo produced some pretty nice results?

The last one is a two-shot focus stack. The others are single exposures. The first one is the smallest snowflake I have successfully shot.

Last edited by Doundounba; 03-28-2014 at 03:15 PM. Reason: add info
03-29-2014, 09:05 AM - 2 Likes   #2512
Site Supporter

Maybe someday I'll be able to check out Comic Con and Dragon Con. I would love to visit both San Diego and Atlanta.
I'm looking forward to the day you post some shots from there! I did check out the Dragon Con site ...this looks pretty cool and Atlanta is close enough to make it a weekend roadtrip. The timing is not so great for me this year unfortunately as that is the time that I will just be beginning my first semester in Grad school. But the Night at the Georgia Aquarium set up for attendees almost makes me say "the hell with it, going anyways"!

Some nice textures and colors in your latest Vietnam shots
Thanks...more on the way!

QuoteOriginally posted by Doundounba Quote
Dare I say that that combo produced some pretty nice results?
You needn't dare say it the results are nice, I especially like the frosty look of the 4th. I also utilize the power of the pringles diffuser, got these yesterday morning when I spied a Southern Yellow Jacket Queen (I'm no entomologist but she was too big to be a worker) hanging out in our garden waiting to warm up. I just love the color on these guys.

The last one is a two-shot focus stack.
You are on your way to those +/-20 image stacked photos!

Last edited by gda13; 03-29-2014 at 11:35 AM. Reason: error
03-30-2014, 09:30 PM - 2 Likes   #2513
Loyal Site Supporter

Shot in India with K-01 and Takumar 35mm

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-01  Photo 
03-31-2014, 04:24 AM   #2514
Site Supporter

Banjo Busking

Here is a photo of a mate playing live in the street. Taken with my K28/2.0 one of my favourite lenses

No post processing - lesson learned - use a hood to increase contrast and check to see if I am taking RAW (not so in this case - DOH)
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-01  Photo 
03-31-2014, 04:50 AM   #2515
Site Supporter

You needn't dare say it the results are nice, I especially like the frosty look of the 4th.
Thanks!

QuoteQuote:
I also utilize the power of the pringles diffuser, got these yesterday morning when I spied a Southern Yellow Jacket Queen (I'm no entomologist but she was too big to be a worker) hanging out in our garden waiting to warm up. I just love the color on these guys.
You're right - that orangy-yellow is pretty amazing. Never seen one like that. Great shots too.

QuoteQuote:
You are on your way to those +/-20 image stacked photos!
I'd have to get a focus rack to get there - right now I shoot everything handheld. I've decided that I want to shoot flakes "in-situ", that is where they fall. A lot of (most?) people who do flake macros will "collect" some flakes on, say, a piece of fabric and then bring the fabric to their already set-up macro rig. I'm sometimes tempted to do that, but I'm also trying to hone my skills for bug macros, so I've opted for shooting flakes handheld without moving them. It's pretty challenging, but I also feel it gives my flake shots a distinctive look from most others, and I like that.
03-31-2014, 05:24 AM - 1 Like   #2516
Site Supporter

While I love shooting flakes, I'm also hoping these will be the last ones of the season. Shot last Saturday with a Pentax-M 150mm F/3.5 plus stacked reversed Sigma 24-70mm F/3.5-5.6, along with my trusty telescoping Pringles-can flash diffuser. Dare I say that that combo produced some pretty nice results?

The last one is a two-shot focus stack. The others are single exposures. The first one is the smallest snowflake I have successfully shot.
Nice wintery shots - I'll return serve with a burnt Banksia from our hot summer
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-01  Photo 
03-31-2014, 08:18 PM   #2517
Loyal Site Supporter

One of the snaps from a shoot on Sunday with a fitness couple. Wish I could have given the left side a bit more room so her shoes weren't so close to the edge but at least I had fun processing the image.

FA31

04-01-2014, 03:33 AM   #2518
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Wild Mark Quote
Nice wintery shots - I'll return serve with a burnt Banksia from our hot summer
Another burnt banksia titled 'Bush Chatter'

taken with the XS 40mm pancake. I must admit there is a little too much CA in this lens for my liking. Shots taken with this lens probably need a little PP to resolve.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-01  Photo 

Last edited by Wild Mark; 04-01-2014 at 03:34 AM. Reason: forgot to add lens details
04-01-2014, 05:38 AM   #2519
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Recently I got a good deal on a Sigma 28mm 1.9 highspeed II. It's pretty sharp, and very light compared to the 30mm 1.4. It also has a much nicer bokeh than the 30mm too. It compliments the K-01. It really only suffers in flare control.

04-01-2014, 05:56 AM   #2520
Site Supporter

Nice colours on the last photo - are you using a hood? I am finding hood use is making a world of difference in contrast.