Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-28-2014, 07:44 PM - 1 Like   #2581
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by gda13 Quote
That is some crazy magnification and a nice capture!
Thanks!

QuoteQuote:
Just curious is it better to reverse lens or stack tubes to increase magnification? I ask because I might be interested to try my hand at high magnification macro sometime.
Depends what you mean by "high". But tubes for the 100WR will be expensive because it doesn't have an aperture ring, so you need tubes with contacts (unless you still have the Tamron 90). Lens reversal is nice because you can use lenses you (may) already have - e.g. a reversed fast 50 should work well on your 100WR to reach 2:1. Personally, to break 1:1, up to to around 2.5:1, I tend to favor combinations of tubes and a Raynox 250 with my Tamron 90. To go higher, my current "go-to" set-up is a reversed (cheap) 24-70mm zoom on top of either a Pentax-M 135mm or 150mm. The nice thing about this is you get a variable magnification rig covering, more or less 2:1 to 6:1. Just change the focal length on the reversed zoom to change the magnification. That being said the more "canonical" approach to high magnification macro is to reverse a 28mm and put it on tubes or a bellows. Finally, at 10:1 I think you need to start looking at microscope objectives and extensive focus stacking, but I've so far topped out at 6:1. A fellow Pentaxian and PF member (Nass) has set-up a fantastic resource for extreme macro. He's much more knowledgeable than me - I'm still just discovering the macro world!

Last edited by Doundounba; 04-28-2014 at 07:54 PM.
04-28-2014, 11:19 PM   #2582

I submit it for the photo competition https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/174-pentax-k-3-photo-contest/259336-peopl...g-poverty.html

Last edited by afan137; 04-29-2014 at 12:00 AM.
04-29-2014, 06:23 AM - 1 Like   #2583

Green
04-29-2014, 06:36 AM   #2584
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Doundounba Quote
...tubes for the 100WR will be expensive because it doesn't have an aperture ring, so you need tubes with contacts...
I was considering "de-lensing" teleconverters that have contacts which can be found fairly inexpensively.
...I tend to favor combinations of tubes and a Raynox 250 with my Tamron 90.
I have also been considering a Raynox...it seems quite a few people like this route.
...my current "go-to" set-up is a reversed (cheap) 24-70mm zoom on top of either a Pentax-M 135mm or 150mm... Just change the focal length on the reversed zoom to change the magnification.
Sounds convenient and relatively simple. Are there any downsides to this method in terms of IQ or anything like that?
A fellow Pentaxian and PF member (Nass) has set-up a fantastic resource for extreme macro
Thanks for the heads up on this site...what a great resource indeed! I will be visiting that site to further research my inquiries.

---------------------------------------------------------

These next shots are from Vung Tau which historically harbors a sizable fishing industry but within the last decade or so has become quite a popular beach city destination for many living in the southern region, particularly those living in Saigon, as well as tourists. Sadly I was recently notified that at the beginning of this month there was an oil spill off the coast here and though the water has cleared up...much of the sand is still bound by some of the crude.

Fishing boat overlook from a coastal trail. 35mm ltd

Buddha under the jack fruit tree and the ever present plumeria trees. 35mm ltd

Large reclining Buddha on a mountain top. 21mm ltd

Last edited by gda13; 04-30-2014 at 09:10 AM.
04-30-2014, 07:45 AM - 3 Likes   #2585
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Tree in a Field (with DFA 100mm macro).

04-30-2014, 08:44 AM   #2586

Into the blue.

04-30-2014, 11:12 AM   #2587
Site Supporter

I was considering "de-lensing" teleconverters that have contacts which can be found fairly inexpensively.
Yes, that's a good idea. I'm also considering getting a 7-element TC to "convert" my Tamron 90 into a 180mm 2:1 macro that still has infinity focus. This would make it useful for both for dragonfly hunting and pretty high mag macro. Just pop the flash and get the diffuser on to switch from available-light long range dragonfly shooting to high magnification macro...

QuoteQuote:
I have also been considering a Raynox...it seems quite a few people like this route.
The Raynox works very well - the 250 that is. I found the 150 not strong enough on a 90mm lens. With just the 250 on my Tamron 90 I get about 1.7:1, AFAIR. I first got the Raynox for a vacation, because it takes up much less space than tubes in one's luggage. I'd bring both now, but that's just because I've tumbled down deeper into the macro rabbit hole...

QuoteQuote:
[re coupling two lenses] Sounds convenient and relatively simple. Are there any downsides to this method in terms of IQ or anything like that?
Possibly, though Nass states that using two stacked lenses might actually give better image quality than using a single reversed lens on tubes. When using a coupled reverse lens setup, your first enemy is vignetting. Some combinations work, and some don't. Some work when you close down one lens, but not when you close the other. Generally reversing a zoom on a prime works better than the other way around. Experimentation is required. Personally, I also like to keep the combined weight not too high. Finally, since you have a combined optical formula that is very far from that of each lens individually, the two irises wind up being oddly situated with respect to the optical formula. This is probably why many combinations produce vignetting, but you can also have other problems. You'll find contradictory advice out there as to which lens is best to close down, and the relation between the two F-stops and the depth of field you get is not at all obvious. As to image quality, well, if you're shooting handheld at these magnifications, I think you have other issues to worry about (eg stabilization and achieving proper focus) that will limit image quality. For me, I also think it's time to move to external flash, because at 6:1 I've been forced to go to iso 1600, and I'd rather top out at 800 with the K-01. Need more flash power. As a useful side-effect, the external flash's duration will probably be much shorter (since it won't be shooting at full power), which will be very useful to reduce blurring from camera motion.
04-30-2014, 12:16 PM   #2588
Site Supporter

Yeah its sounds like you're in pretty deep as far as macros go, I'm looking forward to seeing what you can pull off with your setups as you progress. As for me I think for now the Raynox 250 route is what I will go for and see what happens.

As to image quality, well, if you're shooting handheld at these magnifications, I think you have other issues to worry about (eg stabilization and achieving proper focus) that will limit image quality. For me, I also think it's time to move to external flash, because at 6:1 I've been forced to go to iso 1600, and I'd rather top out at 800 with the K-01.
Right I agree with that point, only in my case I am not really planning on doing handheld with this level of mag but rather I have some ideas for utilizing high mag macro for projects where I will be using a tripod and some type of rail setup. But I do like the idea of using a reversed zoom to vary the magnification.

Just curious...at these types of magnification that you're using with your setups, what are you looking at in terms of working distance?

04-30-2014, 06:32 PM   #2589
Site Supporter

gda13 - I like this dragonfly even better than the last one! It would be interesting to see what the Raynox 250 on top of 100WR would look like? I've yet to try that combination even though I have that setup as well.

Thanks Richard! That dragonfly was super skittish, it kept taking off whenever I would get too close but luckily it seemed to have an affinity to the old dried up flower stalk of our Aloe plant and would come back. I just had to move slowly and it was fine after that.

Here is another shot of it with the 100WR and available light.

I like the 100WR, I had one back when I had a K7 but sold it because I wasn't really doing much macro however I soon regretted it and ended up picking up a 90mm tamron locally via craigslist for a super cheap price. The tamron is a great lens even at its retail price and has the benefit of a focus limiter, furthermore I didn't have any issues with its image quality whatsoever but I missed the design, size and metal lens body construction of the 100WR so eventually someone here on PF was getting rid of one for a deal I couldn't refuse and so I re-acquired it and have no intentions of ever getting rid of it again

That is some crazy magnification and a nice capture! Just curious is it better to reverse lens or stack tubes to increase magnification? I ask because I might be interested to try my hand at high magnification macro sometime.
04-30-2014, 10:35 PM - 2 Likes   #2590
Loyal Site Supporter

Some teaser pics from my most recent shoot with the lovely Anne Ransom (Miss Massachusetts). FA 77

Last edited by LeRolls; 05-01-2014 at 04:37 AM.
05-01-2014, 06:12 AM - 1 Like   #2591
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Some more shots with DFA 100mm WR.

05-01-2014, 11:18 AM   #2592
Site Supporter

... But I do like the idea of using a reversed zoom to vary the magnification.
It's quite convenient when you're going out to shoot (very small) critters in the garden without knowing ahead of time which ones you will find. That and used 28-70 zooms are pretty cheap. It's probably a good idea to couple lenses that have similar entrance pupil sizes - ie combinations where you don't have to use 5+ step-rings. Oh, and push-pull zooms are also, IMHO, not a very good idea. A zoom where you can tape the focus (to infinity) and still use the focal length ring works best for me. Of course, having an aperture ring is practically a must.

QuoteQuote:
Just curious...at these types of magnification that you're using with your setups, what are you looking at in terms of working distance?
When you use a reversed lens, the focus point winds up at the registration distance, so about 4.5cm for a K-mount lens. You don't actively focus the lenses, rather you move the whole camera & lens assembly to put the critter at the focus point. One of the main challenges is finding the thing you are shooting. At 6:1, your window onto the world is 4mm large, and objects more that a few millimeters beyond the focus point are hopelessly blurred out...

And just because I'm starting to feel guilty posting here without including a pic, here's a slightly older pic I don't think I've ever posted (in this thread). Pentax-M 135mm F/3.5, wide-open.

Winter Squirrel #2
by Doundounba, on Flickr

Last edited by Doundounba; 05-01-2014 at 12:58 PM. Reason: add: "in this thread"
05-01-2014, 04:15 PM   #2593
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote

All nice shots, Rondec, but that last tulip photo was very nice.

Mike
05-01-2014, 07:27 PM - 1 Like   #2594
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by richardwong Quote
gda13 - I like this dragonfly even better than the last one! It would be interesting to see what the Raynox 250 on top of 100WR would look like? I've yet to try that combination even though I have that setup as well.
Thank you for your kind comments Richard! If you ever combine your Raynox and 100WR post a few if you feel like sharing, I would be very interested to see them. There doesn't seem to be very many examples with that setup.
QuoteOriginally posted by LeRolls Quote
Some teaser pics...
Nice stuff! Everyone has their own personal preference I'm sure but for me, I am generally partial to lighting that is a bit softer for female portraits so I like the first one best. I also like the overall composition and its intriguing background...is this taken outdoors?
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Second one is very nice...you guys sure get a lot of mist over there.
Pentax-M 135mm F/3.5, wide-open.
Actually the rendering from that lens is very nice, lots of detail in the fur. Also thanks for providing some very useful information that has given me some ideas.

------------------------------------------------------------

Got a few random monos to share.

70mm ltd

35mm ltd

sigma 8-16mm @ 8mm
05-01-2014, 11:12 PM - 2 Likes   #2595
Loyal Site Supporter

sigma 8-16mm @ 8mm
Looks like you're getting good use out of that Sigma! First shot reminds me of Infrared photography and the second one is just kind of fun with the exaggerated curves.

Another couple of shots of the lovely Anne Ransom.

Last edited by LeRolls; 05-02-2014 at 09:09 PM.