Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-06-2014, 06:16 AM - 1 Like   #2671
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
A couple with the FA 31 limited.

06-06-2014, 08:23 AM - 1 Like   #2672
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Rondec, it's been fascinating to watch the progression from winter to spring to (early) summer in your gorgeous landscapes.

Here are a few I'm very happy with, from an outing last weekend. I went looking for dragonflies and damselflies, but was surprised to see many other interesting critters, including probably the largest jumping spider I've ever seen.

Crab spider:

Huge Phidippus jumping spider:

And a Dot-tailed Whiteface dragonfly that was kind enough to allow me a nice portrait shot:

06-06-2014, 08:17 PM - 1 Like   #2673
Site Supporter

Again nice pics being shared here guys! @lukulele your buddy Albert has a real sweet face in that pic. @Rondec that first one with the cow is one of my favorites so far...lots of great tonal range there. @doundounba great shot with the crab spider even though he gives me a bit of the creeps

QuoteOriginally posted by LeRolls Quote
Nice! Your street shots do a good job of capturing the local color of Saigon. In many ways it reminds me of Thailand.
Thanks... yeah Vietnam, and Saigon in particular, engages all of the senses in a good way of course. It is a very dynamic and vibrant city and there are always things going on, people coming and going and eating etc. If you have been to Thailand it would be great if you wouldn't mind sharing your thoughts on what were some of your favorite places to go. I ask because on our next trip to Vietnam we are either going to incorporate a tour to Thailand or to Singapore.

BTW nice shots of your moody model, I can't choose which one I like better since you made both styles work well!

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Few more from around DC

35mm ltd

15mm ltd IR

35mm ltd

15mm ltd IR
06-06-2014, 08:40 PM - 1 Like   #2674
Site Supporter

Fantastic shots here from everyone. Just shows how good the K-01 camera is.

06-08-2014, 03:55 PM - 2 Likes   #2675
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gda13 Quote
Thanks... yeah Vietnam, and Saigon in particular, engages all of the senses in a good way of course. It is a very dynamic and vibrant city and there are always things going on, people coming and going and eating etc. If you have been to Thailand it would be great if you wouldn't mind sharing your thoughts on what were some of your favorite places to go. I ask because on our next trip to Vietnam we are either going to incorporate a tour to Thailand or to Singapore.

BTW nice shots of your moody model, I can't choose which one I like better since you made both styles work well!

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Few more from around DC

35mm ltd

15mm ltd IR

35mm ltd

15mm ltd IR
Really like that second shot from DC. Great mix of dramatic clouds and architectural elements! As far as places in Thailand, well it's really hard to go wrong since pretty much the whole country is beautiful (I'm half Thai so I've been going there since I was a baby up until about six years ago). Although, I suppose there are a few seedier spots in Bangkok that I wouldn't really recommend (think Hangover II) but they're easy enough to steer clear of and the rest of Bangkok is great fun if you don't mind the traffic and general uncleanliness. My favorite city would probably have to be Chiang Mai, really beautiful temples in the mountains and much cleaner air than Bangkok. Good markets for shopping too and of course great food everywhere. For beaches I'd probably check out Phuket, Pattaya, and Koh Samui. Make sure you ride the elephants if you go to Phuket. One thing for sure is that you will get some really great photos if you go.

QuoteOriginally posted by richardwong Quote
Fantastic shots here from everyone. Just shows how good the K-01 camera is.
Yessir! I'd still take the K-01 with some solid K mount glass over any other mirrorless system out there. Although, I admit I am a little interested in Fuji's XT-1 and that 56mm f/1.2. Seems like a really nice, albeit expensive, combo.

Model brightened up a bit towards the end of the shoot once I found these paint splattered parking barriers on the side of an art museum. At least we got to end on a more positive vibe then we started on. Shot at ISO 800 so I applied some noise reduction (luminance slider) in LR.

06-08-2014, 10:19 PM   #2676
Loyal Site Supporter

A friend gave me her old Nikon film camera so I figured I'd use it as a prop for a B&W still life.

FA 31 shot wide open.

06-09-2014, 09:41 PM   #2677
Site Supporter

Really like that second shot from DC. Great mix of dramatic clouds and architectural elements!
Thanks, well yes, I was hoping the clouds would give a sense of drama to our nation's Capitol building where it seems these days the sun is always shining on our illustrious elected "public servants" who always seem to be sporting the same "pleasant " faces as those depicted on the shots of the Japanese statues.

... the rest of Bangkok is great fun if you don't mind the traffic and general uncleanliness. My favorite city would probably have to be Chiang Mai, really beautiful temples in the mountains and much cleaner air than Bangkok. Good markets for shopping too and of course great food everywhere. For beaches I'd probably check out Phuket, Pattaya, and Koh Samui. Make sure you ride the elephants if you go to Phuket. One thing for sure is that you will get some really great photos if you go.
Great listing of potential regions to visit, thanks for this! Of those you have mentioned, 3 of them (Bangkok, Chiang Mai, Phuket) were definitely on my places to go list...particularly Chiang mai as it is my understanding that the surrounding mountains and countryside are quite beautiful though I had not heard much about the temples there so that's a bonus. The other 2 (Pattaya, Koh Samui) had never crossed my radar so I will do a bit of research on those as well. At this point we would probably be leaning towards a Thailand trip next since although we have a great interest in checking out Singapore it seems a bit too "engineered" and not as "raw" as Vietnam or Thailand. I spent a week in the central highlands of Vietnam and by far that was my favorite region yet. It is a region that has quite a unique look and climate compared to what is typically thought of with regards to Vietnam. The mountains, landscape, and temples were definite highlights, though I have yet to post any shots from there I am working my way to them.

BTW that nikon shot looks cool.

------------------------------------------------------------

Another day, another flower festival in Saigon...so many of these during their new year.

21mm ltd

21mm ltd

21mm ltd

21mm ltd

35mm ltd

21mm ltd : Googly eyes ...on a danger sign

Last edited by gda13; 06-10-2014 at 06:31 AM.
06-15-2014, 09:47 PM - 3 Likes   #2678
Loyal Site Supporter

Had this idea bouncing around in my head for a little while now.

06-16-2014, 08:21 PM   #2679
Site Supporter

Cross posted from the DA 15 controls my mind club

06-17-2014, 04:03 AM   #2680
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Flower shot with DA *55.

06-17-2014, 08:44 PM - 1 Like   #2681
Site Supporter

Had this idea bouncing around in my head for a little while now.
A bit of a continuation in terms of story from the last clothespin shot? Perhaps the making of a series? A cool idea regardless...I like the processing as well, very graphic novel-like which appeals to my preference for bold pen and ink type stuff.

QuoteOriginally posted by richardwong Quote
Cross posted from the DA 15 controls my mind club
Another succumbs to the power of the mind control Congrats, hope you enjoy that lens!

----------------------------------------------------------

Had another dragonfly visitor...now that the rainy season is upon us they are showing up around the house fairly often and seem to like to perch on bamboo sticks.

Both with the DFA 100mm WR

06-18-2014, 04:11 AM   #2682
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gda13 Quote
A bit of a continuation in terms of story from the last clothespin shot? Perhaps the making of a series? A cool idea regardless...I like the processing as well, very graphic novel-like which appeals to my preference for bold pen and ink type stuff.
Maybe not so much a continuation as an evolution but I could see possibly making a series of these types of shots if inspiration strikes again. Thanks by the way!

Your dragonfly shots posses a good quality of light and lots of interesting detail. Nice!
06-19-2014, 07:39 AM - 2 Likes   #2683
Site Supporter

Maybe not so much a continuation as an evolution but I could see possibly making a series of these types of shots if inspiration strikes again. Thanks by the way!

Your dragonfly shots posses a good quality of light and lots of interesting detail. Nice!
Looking forward to seeing the evolution continue!

Thanks for your feed back and yes the 100mm WR is one of the nicest handling macros I have used, especially with available light which is what I always prefer if possible and I see no reason why macros have to be processed in typical macro fashion...there is plenty of room to move in all manner of direction.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm really enjoying working with IR images. Here is a false color one I processed just for kicks...

...and here is the image processed as a monochrome IR

06-19-2014, 12:35 PM   #2684
Site Supporter

gda13, I love those IR shots!

Here is the tiniest grasshopper I've ever seen, photographed during a walk around Lac Boivin, near Granby, in Quebec's eastern townships. Tamron 90 plus Raynox 250.

06-19-2014, 03:11 PM   #2685
Site Supporter

Nice Pascal - how do you like the Raynox sitting on top of the Tamron 90?

QuoteOriginally posted by Doundounba Quote
gda13, I love those IR shots!

Here is the tiniest grasshopper I've ever seen, photographed during a walk around Lac Boivin, near Granby, in Quebec's eastern townships. Tamron 90 plus Raynox 250.