Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2987 Likes Search this Thread
03-11-2012, 11:36 AM - 1 Like   #16

QuoteOriginally posted by ibkc Quote
I haven't tried any HDR with my K-01 yet; but it has an automatic exposure bracket feature, and I plan to do it that way instead of using the in-camera HDR feature.
Just for the sake of "scientific" experimentation (and fun, IMHO ), would you -- or anyone else -- consider taking an in-camera HDR photo of a certain object and then doing an exposure-bracketing "photo" of the same object (but without doing any superfluous post processing -- in order to keep the test fair)? But please do this only if it interests you too! It would be really interesting to see how the final products compare to one another. Hopefully, the lighting won't change from one image-capture type to the next (for example, if it is a partly cloudy day).

One reason I would probably cave in and use in-camera HDR is because I have trouble throwing anything away. If the camera merges three images into one and discards all but the final product, that would save me from filling up my hard drive with tons of exposure-bracketed RAW images. Ha????

I also have HDRartist (mine wasn't free - perhaps there are two versions? It's not expensive, though).
Mine is the zero-frills Mac version. I just now discovered that the same developer also produces a shareware version.

So the short answer is, no - HDR does not have to look weird and unnatural.
Thanks. That is what I was hoping to hear.

I'm one of those who really doesn't like that "overcooked" HDR look
I don't like it either -- AT ALL. I don't care if other people like it or not, but I just wish it wasn't so pervasive. This situation is not unlike back in the 1980s and 1990s when people first discovered that they could change fonts on their computers. They went crazy. I was even infected by the bug during my first year with my first Mac (1988). But I only did it to be silly, not because I thought it looked good.

Photographs, however, are different. There are some rare exceptions, but I like them to be real, so real that I could almost imagine stepping through my computer screen and into them, as if they were open windows (I especially love this when looking at old, color-corrected images - like here and here). I first fell in love with looking at photographs when I was still in early grade school. I fell in love with photography when I was in junior high (early 1970s). In both cases, I was utterly fascinated with the idea of capturing and preserving moments in time and in people's lives. I hated sterile "snapshot" poses (with certain exceptions, of course). I wanted (want) to capture people being themselves, oblivious of the camera. I also wanted (want) to capture images of geographic locations and architectural structures and preserve them the same way I remember them. For me, the "art" is in what I capture, not in how I can "distort" it after I capture it. I guess you can blame the historian in me for my viewpoint on this subject. I want to preserve history and true-to-life memories.

and when I do it, I go for a heightened sense of reality
You took those words right out of my mouth.

03-11-2012, 06:27 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax K-01, Pentax A*200 macro w/ 25mm Kenko Uni-plus extension tube. Tripod mounted. Camera is FUN to use. Nice change of pace from my DSLRs.
thanks
barondla
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-01  Photo 
03-11-2012, 09:09 PM   #18

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Here's my first, bumbling try at real HDR. I used the bracketing function, then assembled the the RAW photos in HDRartist Pro. I did this hand-held, which I know is the wrong way to do it, but I guess I got lucky. I'll be doing more of this; it's fun.

03-11-2012, 09:43 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Here are a few from wandering around the mall today with my family. Still raining, so most of my shots are indoors. All taken with the DA40XS (loving this lens) wide open.

Oh, and since everyone already says this is a Lego camera, I decided to see.

Well what do you know? I does fit!

03-11-2012, 09:58 PM   #20

QuoteOriginally posted by rfortson Quote
Well what do you know? I does fit!
Oh, wow! Thematically speaking, it really does fit!

But I still cannot convince myself not to want one; but I'm stubborn.

Last edited by Welfl; 03-11-2012 at 10:16 PM.
03-12-2012, 11:59 AM - 1 Like   #21
Veteran Member

Bluebonnets with the Knockout-1 and the DA70 Ltd.

03-13-2012, 05:52 PM   #22

Original Poster

03-14-2012, 10:38 AM   #23

No best shots yet but here are some test shots taken at ISO 1250 or 1600 in fairly dim mixed lighting.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-01  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-01  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-01  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-01  Photo 
03-14-2012, 10:50 AM   #24
Veteran Member

That 70 limited is just so lovely..
03-14-2012, 11:05 AM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Not my best photo - but here's an example of the DA55~300 @260mm hand held (with some operator error reducing sharpness) - #1 no crop/no PP and #2 slight crop light PP. I am surpirsed by the light fall off in the corners. I've never seen that from this lerns before. Taken from building shade into building shade on a cloudless day. #3 is the same building, just a bit closer to the edge of the building shade.

Slight crop, basic esposure adjustments. Notice a bit sharper.

Another example: Wash Sign Please!

EXIF is embedded - please use PhotoMe

Last edited by monochrome; 03-14-2012 at 12:12 PM.
03-14-2012, 12:03 PM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

All those pics make my choice difficult in choosing between the K-01 and the Fuji X10 for a "backup" (call it a travel companion) for my K5 !

Referring to an older thread of mine:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/non-pentax-cameras-canon-nikon-etc/158161...-one-wait.html

JP
03-14-2012, 12:31 PM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
All those pics make my choice difficult in choosing between the K-01 and the Fuji X10 for a "backup" (call it a travel companion) for my K5 !

Referring to an older thread of mine:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/non-pentax-cameras-canon-nikon-etc/158161...-one-wait.html

JP
How much does sensor size matter for what you shoot? If you want clean high ISO, go with the K-01. If you want more control of DOF, go with K-01. If you want smaller size, go X10. If you want deep DOF, go X10. To me, they're apples and oranges, though I plan to use my K-01 as my super P&S, so the comparison to the X10 is reasonable.
03-14-2012, 01:02 PM   #28
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rfortson Quote
How much does sensor size matter for what you shoot? If you want clean high ISO, go with the K-01. If you want more control of DOF, go with K-01. If you want smaller size, go X10. If you want deep DOF, go X10. To me, they're apples and oranges, though I plan to use my K-01 as my super P&S, so the comparison to the X10 is reasonable.
Exactly. Some are confused about its purpose.
03-14-2012, 02:46 PM   #29

Just checked camerasize dotcom. The K-01 is only a tiny bit bigger in every dimension. Heavier, to be sure, by 210 grams. I was surprised the x10 is only 2.2mm thinner (back to front) than the K-01.
03-14-2012, 03:58 PM - 1 Like   #30
Forum Member

Couple of Snaps

A couple of snaps from today.

40mm XS kit lens

FA77 Limited