Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-11-2012, 06:44 PM   #571
Site Supporter
robtcorl's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: St Louis, MO
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 3,318
Very nice shot Charles!
I really do need to experiment more with the reversal setting, since I shot a ton of slides, way back when.

12-11-2012, 08:55 PM - 1 Like   #572
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Durham, nc
Photos: Albums
Posts: 893
Reversal and Bleach Bypass are my two new favorite color settings

Here's a couple more reversal shots, this time of the custom motorcycle I built.







Charles.
12-12-2012, 11:55 AM   #573
Veteran Member
Mike Bokeh's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Queens, New York
Posts: 594
QuoteOriginally posted by nightfly Quote
A little K-01 astrophotography a few nights ago.

Brilliant Jupiter creates a diffraction and the blue nebulosity of the Pleiades is apparent in this 89 second exposure @ f/4 ISO 1600 NR off using the 40mm pancake lens. The camera was mounted atop a tracking mount, so the trees rather than the stars are slightly blurred.



That's an absolutely fantastic shot, nightfly!

As a kid, I was very interested in astronomy, and still am.

I doubt that I could tell you all the moons of Jupiter as I once could, along with conjunction, superior conjunction, quadrature and all the rest of the terms many people haven't even heard of.

I'm on the cusp of buying a K-01, and this thread is pushing me towards doing so.

It's also rekindling my interest in astronomy.

By the way, the tracking mount you mentioned above - do they still refer to this as a clock drive?

Thanks,
Mike
12-12-2012, 12:41 PM   #574
Junior Member




Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Michigan
Posts: 29
QuoteOriginally posted by LeRolls Quote
Yeah, I definitely like it a lot. The 40mm XS is great too but most of the time it just seems a little too tight on the subject for me personally so I usually end up swapping it out for the 21mm. I suppose when I get a little more into portraits I will begin using the 70mm a lot more. What little I've used of that lens I have also quite liked. Someday I think I'll also pick up the 15mm. I guess you just can't beat the DA Limited glass!
I have the 15mm and it is a nice lens but the 21mm is more practical in my book. Agree with your comments about the 40mm XS. I find that an odd focal length but will get use to it. The best prime that I have is the FA77mm. Beautiful colors and bokeh.

JRB

12-12-2012, 12:53 PM   #575
Veteran Member
kaiserz's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: NoVa The "burg"
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 899
QuoteOriginally posted by ChopperCharles Quote
Reversal and Bleach Bypass are my two new favorite color settings

Here's a couple more reversal shots, this time of the custom motorcycle I built.







Charles.
Awesome cafe build!
12-12-2012, 01:08 PM   #576
Forum Member




Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Newbury, England
Posts: 50
I recently spent 3 weeks in Australia with my K-01 becoming my primary camera throughout. I used it with my Tamron 18-250 most of the time but also took the DA 35 F2.4, SMC M 50 F1.7, Tamron 70-300 and Zenit 16 F2.8.

These are a few of my favourites:

With the 50 F1.7


With the Tamron 300 at ISO1600!






If you are really feeling masochistic, you are welcome to look through the whole 3 weeks worth of photos. I didn't put up all 5000 odd that I took, but it's still a lot. I really like this camera now.

Index pages for these Aussie photos start here: Australia

Neil
12-12-2012, 01:20 PM   #577
Junior Member




Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Michigan
Posts: 29
QuoteOriginally posted by THoog Quote
+1

I whined for years about modern lenses being too big - I just don't like "beer-can" zooms - and missing the days of just an ME Super with an M50 and a M28 in my pocket. Turns out I needed to stop being cheap and buy some Limiteds.

(Although I still think the M28/2.8 and M50/1.7 are the perfect size for the K-01.)
I agree with your comments about zooms. Used them a lot in my film days but outside of a Chistmas play last week I had to photograph I have used strcitly primes since late 2011. Just do not like the size and weight for really good glass. The only zoom that is in my bag is the SMC-A 35-105 f/3.5. Still a good lens despite the years. Trying to find a decent price on a FA31mm f/1.8 and that is difficult to find. Ebay has them but they cost more than B&H or Adorama.
12-12-2012, 01:21 PM   #578
Inactive Account




Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Seattle, WA
Photos: Albums
Posts: 206
QuoteOriginally posted by Neil MacG Quote
I recently spent 3 weeks in Australia with my K-01 becoming my primary camera throughout. I used it with my Tamron 18-250 most of the time but also took the DA 35 F2.4, SMC M 50 F1.7, Tamron 70-300 and Zenit 16 F2.8.

These are a few of my favourites:

With the 50 F1.7


With the Tamron 300 at ISO1600!






If you are really feeling masochistic, you are welcome to look through the whole 3 weeks worth of photos. I didn't put up all 5000 odd that I took, but it's still a lot. I really like this camera now.

Index pages for these Aussie photos start here: Australia

Neil
Neil,
Great captures, Love the clarity of the K-01. I thought my FA 31mm was not so good on my K-5, but sharp as a tack on K-01. Come to think of it, the focusing seems much more precise with all the ltd's I've tested to this point.on the K-01
Thanks,
Joe

12-12-2012, 01:44 PM   #579
Pentaxian
Zygonyx's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Ile de France
Posts: 3,022
QuoteOriginally posted by littledrawe Quote
I really hope that is upside down, or maybe I need to check the dosage on my medication bottle?
You are right, and this is done voluntarily.

12-12-2012, 02:03 PM   #580
Pentaxian
RonHendriks1966's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2009
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 8,708
QuoteOriginally posted by Neil MacG Quote
I recently spent 3 weeks in Australia with my K-01 becoming my primary camera throughout.

I really like this camera now.

Index pages for these Aussie photos start here: Australia

Neil
Good that you learnt to live with your brick. Great shots from the zoo downunder here.
12-12-2012, 02:17 PM   #581
New Member




Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 14
K01 + m135-f3,5

One of my cheapest lenses, the M135, playing with DOF @ F3.5
Attached Images
 
12-12-2012, 06:56 PM   #582
Senior Member




Join Date: Nov 2008
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 241
QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Bokeh Quote
That's an absolutely fantastic shot, nightfly!

As a kid, I was very interested in astronomy, and still am.

I doubt that I could tell you all the moons of Jupiter as I once could, along with conjunction, superior conjunction, quadrature and all the rest of the terms many people haven't even heard of.

I'm on the cusp of buying a K-01, and this thread is pushing me towards doing so.

It's also rekindling my interest in astronomy.

By the way, the tracking mount you mentioned above - do they still refer to this as a clock drive?

Thanks,
Mike
Mike,

Yes, a clock driven equatorial to be precise. More images of the setup here:

Flanders Pond Observatory - a set on Flickr

I shoot mostly film, so you will see those cameras in the images.

Of the K-01 I can say this:

Noise is very low, even at ISO 1600 and NR turned off.

In manual focus mode using bulb you can zoom the focus by 6X to enlarge the star images for critical focus

NR can be turned off with practically unlimited exposure in bulb mode.

Sensitivity to the desired Ha band of red light is very good for an unmodded camera.

From my first night out:

Cygnus: single exposure 50mm f/1.7 SMC Pentax A - 147 seconds @ f/2.8 ISO 1600 NR Off


Last edited by nightfly; 12-12-2012 at 07:02 PM. Reason: Spelling
12-12-2012, 11:21 PM   #583
Inactive Account




Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Seattle, WA
Photos: Albums
Posts: 206
;
QuoteOriginally posted by ibkc Quote
Rupert suggested it, and I'm starting the thread.



Next?
This is my best picture of the K-01.
Joe
Attached Images
 
12-13-2012, 12:07 AM   #584
Forum Member




Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Newbury, England
Posts: 50
QuoteOriginally posted by nightfly Quote
Of the K-01 I can say this:

Noise is very low, even at ISO 1600 and NR turned off.

In manual focus mode using bulb you can zoom the focus by 6X to enlarge the star images for critical focus

NR can be turned off with practically unlimited exposure in bulb mode.

Sensitivity to the desired Ha band of red light is very good for an unmodded camera.

From my first night out:

Cygnus: single exposure 50mm f/1.7 SMC Pentax A - 147 seconds @ f/2.8 ISO 1600 NR Off
Fantastic image - it has clearly worked well with those settings.

But I am curious because, given the length of exposure - is the high aperture and ISO really necessary? Do you just not get the detail if you select a lower ISO?

Neil
12-13-2012, 04:29 AM   #585
Senior Member




Join Date: Nov 2008
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 241
QuoteOriginally posted by Neil MacG Quote
Fantastic image - it has clearly worked well with those settings.

But I am curious because, given the length of exposure - is the high aperture and ISO really necessary? Do you just not get the detail if you select a lower ISO?

Neil
Thank you. As I noted this was my first night out. I intend to shoot more at slower ISO (400 /800). One would have to expose longer of course. I also found that the old 50mm A lens works best at f/5.6, so exposure would be longer as well from stopping down. Ideally one would shoot several exposures and stack them for better color and signal to noise ratio.

When I expose film I generally work with f/4 to f/5.6 and shoot for a period of one hour, sometimes more with results (same area here) like this:

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/59003880/Cygnus%201_1280.jpg

So stacking several digital images to get a quality image would take a similar amount of time given slower ISO settings / aperture / exposure length of light frames / dark frames, etc.

That being said, the K-01 has strength in capturing a fairly deep fields in brief exposures and will compliment my film work, not compete with it. A great little camera.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
camera, car, colors, day, driver, fa, flickr, k-01, k01, love, mirrorless, park, pentax k-01, post, sand, sand dunes, selfie, setup, shot, shots, sigma, sunrise, time, travel, vietnam, week
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Add on EVF? MASOD Pentax K-01 45 02-29-2012 08:10 AM
Question add photos for lens review Cee Cee Site Suggestions and Help 3 11-27-2011 04:48 PM
Do AF adjustments add up? djc737 Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 4 10-28-2011 07:41 PM
What should i add next to my bag? Clicker Non-Pentax Cameras: Canon, Nikon, etc. 4 06-29-2011 03:49 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:39 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top