Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-19-2012, 01:18 PM   #91
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bossa Quote
What's the score of the AA filter on this Camera? I'm sure that almost all the shots I've seen are crisper/sharper than the K-5 shots online here. It may well be just the DOF and the refined focus that the Peaking method helps achieve though. Or maybe there is some contrast processing at work... I wish I could handle one locally and run a few shots to one of my cards.
Careful use of focus peaking does help critical focusing and the CDAF, for all its supposed faults, imust be very good once io locks.

I really don't know about the AA filter (weakened? removed? dount ir). I have discovered an interesting default setting. There is a "Custom Image" default called Bright that is set to a higher than neutral contrast and sharpness. I discovered this by examining my EXIF information for the jpeg extracts (not the DNG RAW files). The jpeg entry for sharpness is HARD and for contrast is HIGH. While these custom images can be manipulated in the Menu, I did not make thes settings.

I have selected Neutral as my "Custom Image" for the future. I'll bet this changes the output of my images. There is so much undocumented information about this camera (probably about all cameras these days) that you really don't know at first what you are getting.

03-19-2012, 01:48 PM   #92

Because I can't stop myself...

These are coming out of Lightroom without a final stop on PSE10. Thinking shots meant for the screen don't necessarily need the photoshop treatment.

My three sharpening steps are the clarity slider, the Lightroom sharpening module & the output sharpening when I do the jpeg conversion. In each case I'm applying a light touch only. Any other opinions on this, I'd love to hear.

The 3rd picture (the smokers) is cropped to about 2/3 of the original.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-01  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-01  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-01  Photo 
03-19-2012, 02:25 PM   #93
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by rfortson Quote
That's amazing! Thank for posting that comparison.
Thanks Russ, glad you liked it.
03-20-2012, 03:53 AM   #94
Inactive Account

Very nice, Sworks and Krugog.

03-20-2012, 06:09 AM   #95
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Thanks wray
03-20-2012, 06:40 AM   #96
Veteran Member

Saturn V rocket with the DA21 Ltd.

03-20-2012, 06:49 AM   #97
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by rfortson Quote
Saturn V rocket with the DA21 Ltd.
I love the composition! Can't make out what it is without reading your description
03-20-2012, 09:00 AM   #98
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mervis Quote
Because I can't stop myself...

These are coming out of Lightroom without a final stop on PSE10. Thinking shots meant for the screen don't necessarily need the photoshop treatment.

My three sharpening steps are the clarity slider, the Lightroom sharpening module & the output sharpening when I do the jpeg conversion. In each case I'm applying a light touch only. Any other opinions on this, I'd love to hear.

The 3rd picture (the smokers) is cropped to about 2/3 of the original.
Great images - thanks for the details on your sharpening process.

03-20-2012, 09:02 AM   #99
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wray Quote
Very nice, Sworks and Krugog.
Thank you!
03-20-2012, 10:08 AM   #100
Loyal Site Supporter

I am envious

You all who
  1. Have beautiful scenery right in your neighborhoods
  2. Have taken your new cameras out and made real photographs as opposed to jerking around the house
Are producing really, really good stuff with this camera!!
03-20-2012, 01:00 PM - 1 Like   #101
Pentaxian

K-01 and FA 43/1.9 Ltd.
03-20-2012, 04:34 PM   #102
Banned

To Mervis,

Sorry I'm not all too familiar with the versions of software that you mentioned, yet... If they were only minimally edited as you stated in your more recent posting on this thread, and not in fact done in Photoshop, then... I got to take a glance at your profile and true profession and it stated that you were not (yet) a professional photographer, but that you had sold some of your work.

As far as I can tell by your postings, perhaps some more of your work might be ready for a new sale. Also a bit of a technical note... Your posting also mentions jpegs; do you also save in raw file format or raw plus jpeg??
03-20-2012, 09:41 PM   #103

Aw shucks, MFPro, thanks for the compliment. That's very nice of you.

The two programs I mentioned are both Adobe products; Lightroom is their full-on raw converter, a combination archive solution, image processor (w. non-destructive edits) & print module. A brilliant program, in my opinion, and the latest version (4.0) has a completely reworked conversion algorithm - it is significantly better than the first 3. With the K-01 being the best sensor I've used so far and the new Lightroom, it feels as if I've crossed into completely new territory - a place where fussing over image quality and correct color is a thing of the past.

You don't really 'save' Raw files; Lightroom just keeps them in whatever state you last left them - no need to save. With the non-destructive editing you always have the option of returning to the original imported version if you so desire. You can also make virtual copies if you want to try two different looks at the same time. After I get something I'm happy with, then I export it back to my hard drive. This is where the raw gets turned into a Jpeg (or Tiff if you like). Keep in mind that the Raw or DNG (Adobe's proprietary Raw format - which Pentax conveniently uses as their in-camera Raw) image will always be there no matter how many times you convert & export. There is also the option of having Lightroom send the conversion through Photoshop for further tweaking before being saved to your hard drive.

Which brings us to PSE10. That's just an acronym for Photoshop Elements (ver. 10), which is a junior version Photoshop CS. It's what I have and will do all the basic adjustments that Photoshop does. Lately I've been bypassing it if I'm just posting pix on the web, but I would use it for actual printing.

In other news, I found a very nice Pentax KM 200mm f4 lens today for about $90 Cdn. Sizewise, it's a very nice fit on the K-01. Took a while figuring out the set-up, but now I'm good to go. 300mm equivalent in a very compact, well-built package. Bravo, Pentax! 2 shots from today using the 200:
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-01  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-01  Photo 
03-21-2012, 06:27 AM   #104
Forum Member

Two excellent shots, particularly the bird
03-21-2012, 06:43 AM   #105
Pentaxian

Looks like compact telephotos can be a good hit with this camera! I like the first shot, the overcast skies contrast well with the light color bridge