Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-12-2013, 04:05 AM - 6 Likes   #1396

Photos: Gallery
K-01 Milky Way ! !

The K-01, along with the K-5 are perhaps the best suited modern Pentax cameras for astrophotography. For ultimate quality I use my Pentax 67 for the finest details within the Milky Way itself, but for images involving landscapes I am very pleased with the K-1 performance.

Pentax K-01 with SMC A 50mm f/1.7 @ F/3.2 56 seconds exposure @ ISO 1600.

Camera was driven equatorially with clock drive causing trees to blur slightly. Better the trees than the stars.

The large star cloud over the tree line is the Great Sagittarius Star Cloud, quite obvious to the unaided eye under dark skies, as is many of the features seen in this image.

Taken from my dark sky home in Maine.

05-12-2013, 08:35 AM   #1397

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi all, here are some from yesterday

05-12-2013, 08:39 AM   #1398
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by LeRolls Quote
Overall I like the DAL 55-300mm. I think it's a pretty good value for $200-250 and it works decent enough on the K-01. AF is a tad slow at times but I was expecting that. Really interested in a 300 or 400mm prime. Maybe one of the older legacy lenses. I don't mind manual focus since the focus peaking works well. I may check out the Lowry Zoo if I am ever in the Tampa area.
Thanks for the info...perhaps I may just hold out for a 300mm prime either the da* or a legacy lens as well since manual focus works well on the K01 (share your experience if you ever get one of these). On another note I like the direction your abstracts have been going...the golden cortex reminds me of looking through a piece of back lit nori. Regarding Tampa, there is also Big Cat Rescue ...I have yet to go but I hear it is a cool place to check out.
QuoteOriginally posted by nightfly Quote
Pentax K-01 with SMC A 50mm f/1.7 @ F/3.2 56 seconds exposure @ ISO 1600. Camera was driven equatorially with clock drive causing trees to blur slightly.
Very nice ...is this like using an equitorial mount for a telescope? Any pics of your setup?
05-12-2013, 09:48 AM   #1399

[IMG] [/IMG]

05-12-2013, 01:31 PM   #1400

QuoteOriginally posted by gda13 Quote
Very nice ...is this like using an equitorial mount for a telescope? Any pics of your setup?
Yes, a telescope actually. I usually gloss over that detail. But here is the grand tour.

Flanders Pond Observatory - a set on Flickr

I use film cameras mostly, but the K-01 has brought some excitement recently with its low noise sensor. I'm lovin it.
05-12-2013, 04:54 PM   #1401
Pentaxian

The K-01, along with the K-5 are perhaps the best suited modern Pentax cameras for astrophotography. For ultimate quality I use my Pentax 67 for the finest details within the Milky Way itself, but for images involving landscapes I am very pleased with the K-1 performance.

Pentax K-01 with SMC A 50mm f/1.7 @ F/3.2 56 seconds exposure @ ISO 1600.

Camera was driven equatorially with clock drive causing trees to blur slightly. Better the trees than the stars.

The large star cloud over the tree line is the Great Sagittarius Star Cloud, quite obvious to the unaided eye under dark skies, as is many of the features seen in this image.

Taken from my dark sky home in Maine.
Wow! Possibly one of the best Milky Way shots I've seen in recent times. The Lagoon and Trifid Nebulae are amazing. I wonder if the O-GPS1 would get as good a result as an equatorial mount for such a short exposure?
05-12-2013, 05:04 PM   #1402
Forum Member

rokinon 85mm 1.4

05-12-2013, 08:42 PM - 2 Likes   #1403
Site Supporter

Here's some shots from this morning with a LensBaby Edge 80, with extension tubes and the close-up extension deployed. Almost like a macro...

Attached Images

05-13-2013, 01:37 AM   #1404
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by shiner Quote
Here's some shots from this morning with a LensBaby Edge 80, with extension tubes and the close-up extension deployed. Almost like a macro...
First shot is quite lovely! I've always been interested in the Lens Baby. How do you like yours?
05-13-2013, 02:00 AM   #1405
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by LeRolls Quote
First shot is quite lovely! I've always been interested in the Lens Baby. How do you like yours?
Thanks! I love my Lensbaby Sweet 35 with the Composer Pro base. Also, the Lensbaby extension segments give it another dimension to explore- really a fun and creative lens. The Edge 80, however, has been a struggle and I've had a hard time finding a niche for it. In fact, these macro shots with it are the first I've cared to share, although it is arguably the "finest" Lensbaby. But the Sweet 35 ROCKS!

Last edited by shiner; 05-13-2013 at 02:08 AM.
05-13-2013, 03:45 AM   #1406

QuoteOriginally posted by bossa Quote
Wow! Possibly one of the best Milky Way shots I've seen in recent times. The Lagoon and Trifid Nebulae are amazing. I wonder if the O-GPS1 would get as good a result as an equatorial mount for such a short exposure?
Thank you. The O-GPS1 will work with the K-5, but not the K-01 from what I have read. I think that it is quite possible to use that unit with the K-5 and achieve similar results. I use a ball head atop the equatorially mounted telescope to compose the shots. This allows the freedom to use lower ISO and slower apertures to produce finer results. I hope to produce fine Milky Way images competing with my best medium format work with film this way. It should be a fun summer! I'll be sure to post!
05-13-2013, 12:39 PM   #1407
Loyal Site Supporter

Thank you. The O-GPS1 will work with the K-5, but not the K-01 from what I have read. I think that it is quite possible to use that unit with the K-5 and achieve similar results. I use a ball head atop the equatorially mounted telescope to compose the shots. This allows the freedom to use lower ISO and slower apertures to produce finer results. I hope to produce fine Milky Way images competing with my best medium format work with film this way. It should be a fun summer! I'll be sure to post!
Always been tempted to get a lens baby for the shaped bokeh options and to add an interesting stylized look to my videos.
05-13-2013, 03:11 PM   #1408
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by shiner Quote
Thanks! I love my Lensbaby Sweet 35 with the Composer Pro base. Also, the Lensbaby extension segments give it another dimension to explore- really a fun and creative lens. The Edge 80, however, has been a struggle and I've had a hard time finding a niche for it. In fact, these macro shots with it are the first I've cared to share, although it is arguably the "finest" Lensbaby. But the Sweet 35 ROCKS!
Do you have some samples with the K-01 and the Sweet 35 ? thanks!
05-13-2013, 08:50 PM   #1409
Loyal Site Supporter

Stopped by a local comic book store and was looking at their Warhammer 40K collection. Bad lighting, no tripod, and glass displays.

05-14-2013, 02:56 AM   #1410

Trying out my "new" M42 to K mount adapter with the 35/3.5 SMC Takumar.

Wide open results are just stunningly sharp with this classic lens. Positively no CA. Wish I could say that for the 40mm XS lens.