Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2987 Likes Search this Thread
07-29-2013, 10:52 AM - 2 Likes   #1801
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by LeRolls Quote
I've got my DA15 coming in the mail courtesy of a forum member. Looking forward to putting it through it's paces! Oh and the FA43 works great on the K-01. My overall favorite go to lens! It is a bit noisy at times though.
Looking forward to seeing what you can do with it. I think you'll love it.

Amish home. (with DA 40)

07-29-2013, 11:16 AM   #1802
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gda13 Quote
Cool ! ...its probably the best of the da limited lenses imo, though I like all of them. However I've been thinking about perhaps getting a FA 43mm ltd, not to replace my da 40 ltd which I still think is one of the best all around lenses to use but rather to use it in a similar manner as you have been doing such as for close ups of objects or for portraits of a unique focal length (seems extremely well suited for these given its sweet bokeh). The noise is a negligible issue I think especially for B&Ws which are still my favorite types of photos. Let us know when you get your 15mm...btw any recommendations on a solid quality very portable tripod? I really want one especially for using with the 15mm, 10-17mm and 100mm macro as well as for long exposure stuff...I've got 2 in mind that I've been going back and forth with but have yet to pull the trigger.
My recommendation for a tripod, would be a Bogen/Manfrotto set of legs, and a Bogen/Manfrotto ball head.

They're a little on the expensive side, but they are very nice, and perform smoothly.

A ball head is quicker, and easier to use than a pan head, in my opinion.

Good luck.

Mike
07-29-2013, 11:25 AM   #1803
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Cool ! ...its probably the best of the da limited lenses imo, though I like all of them. However I've been thinking about perhaps getting a FA 43mm ltd, not to replace my da 40 ltd which I still think is one of the best all around lenses to use but rather to use it in a similar manner as you have been doing such as for close ups of objects or for portraits of a unique focal length (seems extremely well suited for these given its sweet bokeh). The noise is a negligible issue I think especially for B&Ws which are still my favorite types of photos. Let us know when you get your 15mm...btw any recommendations on a solid quality very portable tripod? I really want one especially for using with the 15mm, 10-17mm and 100mm macro as well as for long exposure stuff...I've got 2 in mind that I've been going back and forth with but have yet to pull the trigger.
I use a Vanguard Ball Head and legs that wasn't too much and seem pretty good.
07-29-2013, 11:47 AM   #1804
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Bokeh Quote
My recommendation for a tripod, would be a Bogen/Manfrotto set of legs, and a Bogen/Manfrotto ball head.

They're a little on the expensive side, but they are very nice, and perform smoothly.

A ball head is quicker, and easier to use than a pan head, in my opinion.

Good luck.

Mike
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I use a Vanguard Ball Head and legs that wasn't too much and seem pretty good.

I'll have a look and see what their offerings for compact tripods are, thanks! The one I'm closest to pulling the trigger on is the Sirui T-1005X, it folds to about 13 1/2" and weighs 2.2lbs and gets good marks for its durability and build quality. There is no ballhead with it but I will look at the Bogen ones as well...I did have a nice carbon vanguard tripod back when I had my K5 but sold it since it was larger than needed for a K01 with ltds.

07-29-2013, 12:05 PM   #1805
Pentaxian

[deleted]
07-29-2013, 03:56 PM   #1806
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by richardwong Quote
Nice macro Colton.
Thanks Richard.
07-29-2013, 07:10 PM - 1 Like   #1807
Pentaxian

Nice shots Pascal. Reminds me of Vegas at the Bellagio
Thanks Richard. I had to resort to Google to find out what you're talking about - that there's a Chihuly ceiling at the Bellagio. Never been to Vegas. From the pictures of the Vegas work, I think the Montréal exhibit is much more spectacular. I had brought three lenses: F 50mm F/1.7, Sigma Super-Wide II 24mm F/2.8 and my Sigma 17-70mm F/2.8-4.5. I went in with the 50mm, but found it very tough going to get interesting shots. Just too long. The 24mm worked well once I switched, and the zoom even more so but the light was pretty marginal for anything but F/2.8 (shots were often F/2.8, iso1600, 1/30s or 1/50s, handheld of course). What was great was that we were there just before closing so there was almost no one around, and at one point I got the idea that I could lay the camera down on some ledges of the exhibits and use longer exposures. Thus my two favorite shots are actually 0.8 and 1.6s exposures.

Anyhow, here are a few more macros using the M 50mm F/4 Macro with a 20mm extension tube. I think I see a real 1:1 macro lens in my near future now. (It can be a little frustrating to try to take a wider shot only to find "infinity" focus is still way too close for the shot you see in your mind.)

Bee Resting:

Bee Climbing:

Hairy Legs:

You Lookin At Me?

07-29-2013, 07:17 PM - 4 Likes   #1808
Pentaxian

Been a few days since I shot anything because I've mostly been working and running around selling stuff to make up for the money I spent on the DA15. Decided to force myself to try one of the shots that's been bouncing around in my head this last week.

Thought about putting some retro style sunglasses on the skull but none fit right. At least it was fun playing around with some LEDs and color gels in my makeshift studio (aka living room). This is version 1.0. I have ideas for the next version. Hopefully they pan out.

Last edited by LeRolls; 07-30-2013 at 06:04 AM.
07-30-2013, 05:18 AM - 1 Like   #1809
Veteran Member

Been a few days since I shot anything because I've mostly been working and running around selling stuff to make up for the money I spent on the DA15. Decided to force myself to try one of the shots that's been bouncing around in my head this last week.

Thought about putting some retro style sunglasses on the skull but none fit right. At least it was fun playing around with some LEDs and color gels in my makeshift studio (aka living room). This is version 1.0. I have ideas for the next version. Hopefully they pan out.
Pretty cool shot

DA 15:

07-30-2013, 06:29 AM   #1810
Veteran Member

I like the last shot especially.

Cheers

Bay Pines VA National Cemetery

DA 15mm ltd

DA 70mm ltd

07-30-2013, 06:31 AM   #1811
Veteran Member

I like the angle of the first shot and the interesting sunlight reflecting off with the kite above.

QuoteOriginally posted by shiveringphotographr Quote
Kite Surfin' with the K-01
07-30-2013, 06:55 AM   #1812
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Doundounba Quote
Anyhow, here are a few more macros using the M 50mm F/4 Macro with a 20mm extension tube. I think I see a real 1:1 macro lens in my near future now.
The bee climbing is particularly nice...very sharp details on the head and eyes, out here its so hot that the bees have enough energy to constantly be on the move so with my 35mm macro it is very difficult though not impossible, but just recently I got a 100mm macro again so that should help a bit. You should definitely get a 1:1 sometime in the future I'm sure you will capture some stellar images with one.

BTW thanks for sharing the photos of the Chihuly exhibit. There is a dedicated exhibit at the Morean Arts center in downtown St Petersburg only 1/2hr from our house...we've walked by it several times and now that I've seen through your photos that it is glass art I am interested to check it out.

QuoteOriginally posted by NickLarsson Quote
Pretty cool shot

DA 15:
Great framing and processing on this...got any more from Italy?

I like the last shot especially.

Cheers
Thanks Richard!
07-30-2013, 10:00 AM   #1813
Veteran Member

Great framing and processing on this...got any more from Italy?
Thanks! Unfortunately yes I have more (1200) and I'm currently in the hassle of sorting them
07-30-2013, 05:33 PM - 1 Like   #1814
Forum Member

Been a few days since I shot anything because I've mostly been working and running around selling stuff to make up for the money I spent on the DA15...
Fantastic. That image was processed, right?
07-30-2013, 06:00 PM   #1815
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by NickLarsson Quote
Pretty cool shot
Thanks!

QuoteOriginally posted by ucd180 Quote
Fantastic. That image was processed, right?
Much appreciated! Yes, it was processed. I actually process all of my images.