Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-16-2013, 02:12 PM   #1861

Taken with the M 50mm f/1.7

08-17-2013, 11:49 AM - 1 Like   #1862
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I got a feeling that, in my macro adventures, a flash will become necessary pretty soon. Engineering, we need more light!

This first one here was an early flash experiment where everything but the bug got blown out (yellow paint). So I took a heavy crop and tried to have some fun in Gimp.

Blue Weirdo:

The others are my first results using the 50mm F/4 macro with 50mm of tubes, which gives it 1.48:1 macro capabilites, but you really have to be in the bug's face! Only the last one (Minibee Posing) is slightly cropped, but it wasn't shot at MFD.

B:

Fly Eyes:

Minibee Posing:

08-17-2013, 05:18 PM - 1 Like   #1863
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Doundounba Quote
I got a feeling that, in my macro adventures, a flash will become necessary pretty soon. Engineering, we need more light!
Nice shots Doundounba. Your "Blue Weirdo" looks like it's wearing a gas mask.

Testing my recently acquired A 50 f1.2 on the K-01.

08-18-2013, 12:37 AM   #1864

Myrtle flowers with my S-M-C Takumar 55/1.8

08-18-2013, 03:37 AM   #1865
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Went out yesterday morning with DA 16-50.

Cornfield.

New Road.

Thistle.

08-18-2013, 05:33 AM   #1866
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Doundounba Quote

This first one here was an early flash experiment where everything but the bug got blown out (yellow paint). So I took a heavy crop and tried to have some fun in Gimp.

Blue Weirdo:

The others are my first results using the 50mm F/4 macro with 50mm of tubes, which gives it 1.48:1 macro capabilites, but you really have to be in the bug's face! Only the last one (Minibee Posing) is slightly cropped, but it wasn't shot at MFD.

B:

Fly Eyes:

Minibee Posing:

Love the macro's - very hard to do getting focus right and handshake. I am struggling that is for sure.

A bush orchid from the other day using SMC Pentax 50mm f2.8 macro
Attached Images

View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-01  Photo 

Last edited by Wild Mark; 08-18-2013 at 05:59 AM. Reason: adding photo
08-18-2013, 05:38 AM   #1867
Veteran Member

lightly cloudy days

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Went out yesterday morning with DA 16-50.

Cornfield.

New Road.

Thistle.

Lovely shots - that type of clouds creates interesting atmosphere

I shot a similar theme the other day with a helios 44M - nice lens

08-18-2013, 06:19 AM   #1868
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by prime.partisan Quote
Myrtle flowers with my S-M-C Takumar 55/1.8

Nice! Has a dreamlike quality to the bokeh!
08-18-2013, 01:48 PM - 4 Likes   #1869
Pentaxian

Some cross-posted photos from a morning walk last weekend.

DA 35mm ltd ...a versatile lens.

Inquisitive squirrel

Concert seating

Looking up at a Golden Silk Spider

Luminescent butterfly

Bok Tower in the distance

Tower Door

DA 15mm ltd ...a highly useful lens

The Tower

Tower in mono
08-18-2013, 01:51 PM   #1870
Pentaxian

The tower door shot is a very excellent shot, the others are just excellent....
08-18-2013, 09:23 PM   #1871
Pentaxian

My brother and his girlfriend spotted this moth outside in the front yard so I grabbed my DFA 100mm Macro WR and an LED light to see what I could get. It wasn't long before the mosquitoes were eating me alive and I had to go back inside. This was the best shot I could get while standing on a little step ladder. Played around with it in Nik Color Efex Pro 4 just to give a little more pizzazz and zing!

08-18-2013, 10:04 PM   #1872
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by LeRolls Quote
My brother and his girlfriend spotted this moth outside in the front yard so I grabbed my DFA 100mm Macro WR and an LED light to see what I could get. It wasn't long before the mosquitoes were eating me alive and I had to go back inside. This was the best shot I could get while standing on a little step ladder. Played around with it in Nik Color Efex Pro 4 just to give a little more pizzazz and zing!

Looks like a High Tech Fighter Jet... nice touch on the post
08-18-2013, 10:52 PM   #1873
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Billy Joe Quote
Looks like a High Tech Fighter Jet... nice touch on the post
Yeah, I was thinking that nature has some pretty good engineers the whole time I was taking shots. Thanks by the way!
08-19-2013, 08:43 AM   #1874
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
The tower door shot is a very excellent shot, the others are just excellent....

Thanks normhead! Its easy to be inspired at places like Bok Tower Gardens when its founder was one of those visionaries who was ahead of his time in terms of a respect and admiration of the natural environment and the many benefits of reserving some of these areas. An aspect of photography that resonates with me as well as many other forum members here who share their perspectives of the outdoors is how it complements ones affinity for the natural world. It definitely encourages the desire to continue to learn and develop what for me is a unique and satisfying hobby.

08-19-2013, 09:49 AM   #1875
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by chuck_c Quote
Nice shots Doundounba. Your "Blue Weirdo" looks like it's wearing a gas mask.
Thanks chuck_c! Over in the "Show me your insects" thread, hangman43 identified it as a "painted wing fly" (delphinia picta). Very weird indeed and, at least over here in Montreal, uncommon.

QuoteOriginally posted by Wild Mark Quote
Love the macro's - very hard to do getting focus right and handshake. I am struggling that is for sure.
Thanks Wild Mark! It is hard, and you also need to not spook the critters, especially with a 50mm. Some advice for shooting macro handheld and flashless, if I may? I'm still a n00b, but here are my observations so far:
  • Unless you have a special reason to, don't shoot under F/8, and aim for at least F/11, if possible. Depth of field is so thin when you're close, and this will help a little.
  • Turn on focus peaking, of course. What I actually do is prefocus the lens, and then move in very slowly until focus peaks and I see maximum details in the viewfinder. Then hit the shutter. (I'm also experimenting with the two-second shutter delay to minimize shake from shutter actuation, but this sometimes makes it harder if I'm holding the camera in a tiring position. I might try slow continuous shooting too, I think.)
  • Don't hesitate to manually set iso 800 (or even 1600, if you must) to get faster shutter speed. (With a 50mm, a shutter slower than about 1/60 is pretty much hopeless.)
  • Go out when there's a ton of light. Super bright, sunny days. From late afternoon, the light also has great quality, usually. (The down side to this is that direct sunlight on shiny bugs may cause blown highlights. You'd need a diffuser for the Sun. Days with a very thin cloud cover are actually pretty good.)
  • Shoot a lot! Your hand movements will cause many shots to be blurry or just poorly framed. This is pretty much unavoidable, in my limited experience.
  • Take your time and observe. It's amazing to realize how much stuff you don't see until you just stand completely still and observe. A patch of flowers will seem empty, and then after a few seconds it will come alive with insect life.
BTW, if you're shooting with a 50mm, it might be possible to use the onboard flash. At least for me, I can use my 50mm F/4 Macro with a 20mm extension (which gives me 1:1.1 macro) and get full coverage from the onboard flash. Any more extension though, and I get a lens shadow in the frame at MFD. (Still waiting on the cheap diffuser coming from China.)

Good luck!