Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-23-2013, 09:08 AM   #1891
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I don't know if it's the different processing engine, but certain shots the K-01 seems to really handle colours well. Keep up the good work guys... after looking at a few K-01 images, Tess actually suggested we might want to ditch the K-5 for many shots... blasphemy on this forum I know but, all in all a reasonable conclusion.

08-23-2013, 10:40 AM   #1892

QuoteOriginally posted by DJSponge Quote
Another one the previous day:
I love this one. Wonderful color.
08-23-2013, 11:26 AM   #1893
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I don't know if it's the different processing engine, but certain shots the K-01 seems to really handle colours well. Keep up the good work guys... after looking at a few K-01 images, Tess actually suggested we might want to ditch the K-5 for many shots... blasphemy on this forum I know but, all in all a reasonable conclusion.
Norm, I honestly don't think there is that much difference. Shooting with the K-01 is more of a challenge due to lack of auto focus capability, fewer shots in multi exposure mode, etc. Still, if you get a shot, I think there is roughly as much leeway in post processing as with a K5 shot, but certainly no more. As to colors, I think that is more a lens thing than a camera thing, although maybe the jpeg engine is different on the K-01 than the K5.
08-23-2013, 11:47 AM   #1894
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Norm, I honestly don't think there is that much difference. Shooting with the K-01 is more of a challenge due to lack of auto focus capability, fewer shots in multi exposure mode, etc. Still, if you get a shot, I think there is roughly as much leeway in post processing as with a K5 shot, but certainly no more. As to colors, I think that is more a lens thing than a camera thing, although maybe the jpeg engine is different on the K-01 than the K5.
Just as an example....

To take the shot I was in a very precarious perch...with overhead branches and the tripod perched on the edge of a 6 foot drop. The live view was much more practical than the OVF. I could also use the Live View on the K-5, but the Live View on tge K-5 eats up battery, and this was a 6 day trip with no chance ot recharge. This image and the others seemed to have something special compared to the k-5 images taken in the same location. We shot raw, so not the jpg engine. Later when I was getting wet from spray from the falls, I switched to the K-5 and 18-135, but for this spot, the K-01 was the better choice.

08-23-2013, 01:22 PM   #1895
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Doundounba Quote
First decent shots with new-to-me Tamron SP Di 90mm F/2.8:
More than decent...best ones yet. Keep it up!

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Corn.
Whoa...Sweet Corn!

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Just as an example....
The mist/spray lends this image a unique ethereal quality. I love my k01 and have yet to miss my k5...although I can't say that I do much hiking around waterfalls, but out here in hot humid Florida so far so good. However I do think about picking up a K30 sometimes but now NickLarsson has me thinking about that Sigma 8-16mm...must banish the thought.

That Sweet Corn got me up out of my study desk to go out into our little garden to see if anything is ready to eat yet. Well a good portion of our Okra is almost ready to pick

Okra

More on the way...Okra flower in mono

Goya aka bitter melon (it really does live up to its name, the wife likes this stuff)...this one is only 2 days old

Goya flower in mono

Lemon Grass highway

Last edited by gda13; 08-23-2013 at 07:34 PM.
08-23-2013, 03:07 PM   #1896
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gda13 Quote
However I do think about picking up a K30 sometimes but now NickLarsson has me thinking about that Sigma 8-16mm...must banish the thought.
I'm pleading non-guilty

Nice shot with the drops.

DA 15:

08-23-2013, 06:05 PM   #1897
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Holiday... Nice.

08-23-2013, 06:45 PM   #1898
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by NickLarsson Quote
I'm pleading non-guilty

Nice shot with the drops.

DA 15:
Great shot as usual and thanks for the comment, I was really using the excuse to take a break from my studies and try out this cheap on board flash diffuser I modified a bit so that I can use it with my 35mm ltd for flower shots...it works ok actually so long as I keep the lens hood retracted.
08-24-2013, 12:54 AM - 1 Like   #1899
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gda13 Quote
Okra
Its great fried or chopped up in a soup, but seeing it on the plant like that reminds me of how uncomfortable it can be to pick...only made that mistake once!!

Some with the 10-20mm

Last edited by littledrawe; 08-24-2013 at 01:10 AM.
08-24-2013, 02:26 AM - 1 Like   #1900
Veteran Member

First decent shots with new-to-me Tamron SP Di 90mm F/2.8:

Focus On The Tongue:

Bee Horror Movie:

Finally, someone giving eaglem a run for his money....well done, bravo!
08-24-2013, 04:35 AM   #1901
Veteran Member

Thanks chuck_c! Over in the "Show me your insects" thread, hangman43 identified it as a "painted wing fly" (delphinia picta). Very weird indeed and, at least over here in Montreal, uncommon.

Thanks Wild Mark! It is hard, and you also need to not spook the critters, especially with a 50mm. Some advice for shooting macro handheld and flashless, if I may? I'm still a n00b, but here are my observations so far:
  • Unless you have a special reason to, don't shoot under F/8, and aim for at least F/11, if possible. Depth of field is so thin when you're close, and this will help a little.
  • Turn on focus peaking, of course. What I actually do is prefocus the lens, and then move in very slowly until focus peaks and I see maximum details in the viewfinder. Then hit the shutter. (I'm also experimenting with the two-second shutter delay to minimize shake from shutter actuation, but this sometimes makes it harder if I'm holding the camera in a tiring position. I might try slow continuous shooting too, I think.)
  • Don't hesitate to manually set iso 800 (or even 1600, if you must) to get faster shutter speed. (With a 50mm, a shutter slower than about 1/60 is pretty much hopeless.)
  • Go out when there's a ton of light. Super bright, sunny days. From late afternoon, the light also has great quality, usually. (The down side to this is that direct sunlight on shiny bugs may cause blown highlights. You'd need a diffuser for the Sun. Days with a very thin cloud cover are actually pretty good.)
  • Shoot a lot! Your hand movements will cause many shots to be blurry or just poorly framed. This is pretty much unavoidable, in my limited experience.
  • Take your time and observe. It's amazing to realize how much stuff you don't see until you just stand completely still and observe. A patch of flowers will seem empty, and then after a few seconds it will come alive with insect life.
BTW, if you're shooting with a 50mm, it might be possible to use the onboard flash. At least for me, I can use my 50mm F/4 Macro with a 20mm extension (which gives me 1:1.1 macro) and get full coverage from the onboard flash. Any more extension though, and I get a lens shadow in the frame at MFD. (Still waiting on the cheap diffuser coming from China.)

Good luck!
Doundounba

I took your tips and applied myself - not with the Pentax-A 50mm f2.8 macro but with my Pentax-M f1.7 with macro tubes.

A 100% improvement on prior effort.

How good is that Pentax-M 50mm f1.7

Mark
08-24-2013, 04:38 AM   #1902
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Wild Mark Quote
Doundounba

I took your tips and applied myself - not with the Pentax-A 50mm f2.8 macro but with my Pentax-M f1.7 with macro tubes.

A 100% improvement on prior effort.

How good is that Pentax-M 50mm f1.7

Mark
more macros
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-01  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-01  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-01  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-01  Photo 
08-24-2013, 06:53 AM   #1903

K01 with 135 mm Takumar bayonet.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-01  Photo 
08-24-2013, 10:39 AM   #1904
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by littledrawe Quote
Its great fried or chopped up in a soup, but seeing it on the plant like that reminds me of how uncomfortable it can be to pick...only made that mistake once!!
Or even just lightly steamed to retain a little snap to the texture and dipped into a sauce. Well I'm not sure what happened to you exactly but before trying our hand at growing our own recently the wife and I used to enjoy going down to the U-Pick farm and picking our own without any incident. Anyways I really like that 3rd photo down...a beautiful shot. You guys are killing me with all these great mountain landscapes, I do miss the mountains of California (and the deserts) quite a bit...since moving here I've grown to appreciate FL's unique landscape but its almost all flat.
08-24-2013, 01:05 PM - 2 Likes   #1905
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

DA *55

Cornfield and Mist.

Wildflowers and Barn.

Edit: Just thought I'd mention for what it's worth, that the first image was "explored" today on Flickr -- number 262 or something like that.

Last edited by Rondec; 08-25-2013 at 12:50 PM.