Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-17-2014, 10:41 AM - 2 Likes   #2461
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums

03-17-2014, 08:16 PM   #2462
Veteran Member

K-01 with Sigma 70-300

As it says this was shot through my sliding glass door during today's snow.
03-18-2014, 01:20 AM - 1 Like   #2463

Half Dome and airjets

Half Dome at yosemite and airjets
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-01  Photo 
03-18-2014, 06:46 AM - 1 Like   #2464
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

K-01 pic

Ice Storm December 2013

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-01  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-01  Photo 
03-18-2014, 06:59 AM   #2465
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Keldor Quote
Ice Storm December 2013

Waauw never seen an ice storm, nice images
03-18-2014, 08:32 AM - 1 Like   #2466
Pentaxian

I prefer the color version but I think the textures and different tones make for a decent B&W as well. Let me know what you think.

03-18-2014, 08:36 AM   #2467
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

A couple from this morning.

03-18-2014, 10:29 AM   #2468
Veteran Member

Great food shots

QuoteOriginally posted by LeRolls Quote
I prefer the color version but I think the textures and different tones make for a decent B&W as well. Let me know what you think.

I think that your food shots are great LeRolls. Very well composed and great pictures.
03-18-2014, 10:41 AM   #2469
Pentaxian

I've been quite busy as of late and it looks like there is a lot of new stuff to see here on PF

Well typically my preferences tend to lean heavily toward non-studio (ie outdoors) work as well as monochromes ( I used to do a lot of drawing and sketching exclusively in pencil or pen ) but despite these biases I like this photo quite a bit. Maybe its because I like tea (although the addition of the nuts, rice and mushrooms make for a broader image), but compositionally it is very agreeable and balanced as it is obviously meant to convey an idea rather than just a photographic slice of some chef's work space. That being said in this case the color version works better here since it appears that the "earthy" palette was a thoughtful and deliberate choice so to me it seems something is lost when moving to the B&W version. For example I can almost smell the cinnamon in the color version etc...so in that respect it engages more of my mind. BTW what lens did you shoot this with?

Now if you would only compose something involving coffee beans
03-18-2014, 11:05 AM   #2470
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jimH Quote
I think that your food shots are great LeRolls. Very well composed and great pictures.
Thank you kindly! Always good to know that I'm heading in the right direction.

QuoteOriginally posted by gda13 Quote
I've been quite busy as of late and it looks like there is a lot of new stuff to see here on PF

Well typically my preferences tend to lean heavily toward non-studio (ie outdoors) work as well as monochromes ( I used to do a lot of drawing and sketching exclusively in pencil or pen ) but despite these biases I like this photo quite a bit. Maybe its because I like tea (although the addition of the nuts, rice and mushrooms make for a broader image), but compositionally it is very agreeable and balanced as it is obviously meant to convey an idea rather than just a photographic slice of some chef's work space. That being said in this case the color version works better here since it appears that the "earthy" palette was a thoughtful and deliberate choice so to me it seems something is lost when moving to the B&W version. For example I can almost smell the cinnamon in the color version etc...so in that respect it engages more of my mind. BTW what lens did you shoot this with?

Now if you would only compose something involving coffee beans
As always, I deeply appreciate your well thought out and personal assessment of my work. Yes, the earthy tones were a very deliberate choice along with the myriad of textures and I'm glad that was successfully conveyed. This was shot with the FA31 which has become my go to lens for still life work. Despite it's rather hefty price it has fast become one of my favorite lenses along with the FA77, both of which provide beautiful rendering capabilities.

Oh and here is my go at a coffee still life from a few weeks back.

I also have a monochrome version if you'd like to see it.

Thanks again!
03-18-2014, 11:21 PM - 1 Like   #2471
Pentaxian

Today at the park. FA77

03-19-2014, 01:17 AM - 1 Like   #2472
Pentaxian

My dad was soaking some beet leaves and I couldn't resist. FA31

03-19-2014, 02:53 AM   #2473
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Some really impressive shots with K-01 and those awesome lenses !! And that despite the fact that you are hitting the ceiling with your apertures f18 - which probably is well beyond the diffraction limit - yet so superb images ! For macro, landscapes and still life , theatres ( and other quiet places ) and of course the video - there is honestly no better camera out there than K-01. It only lets me badly down with fast paced action and kids :P - which is quite obvious with it's slow processing and AF - other than that I love mine too --manntax

I prefer the color version too - with BW we are loosing far too much of those amazing colors and shades.

Oh and here is my go at a coffee still life from a few weeks back.
Today at the park. FA77
( I like the first shot better - composition wise )

My dad was soaking some beet leaves and I couldn't resist. FA31
03-19-2014, 07:24 AM   #2474
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by manntax Quote
Some really impressive shots with K-01 and those awesome lenses !! And that despite the fact that you are hitting the ceiling with your apertures f18 - which probably is well beyond the diffraction limit - yet so superb images ! For macro, landscapes and still life , theatres ( and other quiet places ) and of course the video - there is honestly no better camera out there than K-01. It only lets me badly down with fast paced action and kids :P - which is quite obvious with it's slow processing and AF - other than that I love mine too --manntax
Thank you for taking the time to comment! I always appreciate feedback! I do agree that the K-01 is an incredible bang for the buck and it's why I have three of them. I have the same issue when getting shots of kids as well (no real tracking in the AF). One of the reasons why I will most likely be getting a K-3 in the very near future. I will still use my K-01s extensively but for any work that requires snappier AF it will have to be the K-3.

This shot was just me trying something different.

03-19-2014, 12:15 PM   #2475
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Chrome handlebar
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-01  Photo