Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-19-2014, 03:35 PM - 2 Likes   #2476
Pentaxian

I hardly ever shoot wide open (f/2 in this case) but for this image I thought it might further enhance the mood and atmosphere. FA31

03-19-2014, 06:12 PM - 1 Like   #2477
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
A few shots with the FA 31 limited...

03-19-2014, 09:30 PM - 1 Like   #2478
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by LeRolls Quote
This was shot with the FA31 which has become my go to lens for still life work. Despite it's rather hefty price it has fast become one of my favorite lenses along with the FA77, both of which provide beautiful rendering capabilities.

Oh and here is my go at a coffee still life from a few weeks back. I also have a monochrome version if you'd like to see it.
I had a feeling you were using the 31mm. Actually within the last week I had been keeping an eye out for a good used one ( would like a silver one perhaps) but something else popped up on market place that I couldn't walk away from since it is a bit more difficult to obtain, so I opted to wait a little longer on the 31mm. I know that 31mm will end up being my most used lens and since November I have been traveling quite a bit and my most used lens has been the 35mm ltd...I seem to just really prefer a focal length around that range. And I agree with regards to the rendering potential of those FA ltd lenses...they provide such a subtle gradient between tones, among other nice image qualities, that I find I like very much.

BTW quick service on that order of coffee ...I like it, and having just gone through 4 months of the most recent postings on this thread I saw the monochrome version and actually they both work well. Coffee has such a strong character that the mental association needn't be so subtle (at least for me since I grind my own beans and brew via french press daily), but again even though I am a bit biased for monochrome images I have to give a slight edge to the color version primarily because I like what the faded distressed "color" on the wood planks add to the image in terms of contrast. If there was no paint and only the bare old distressed wood then a texture and tone base mono would do nicely.

Today at the park. FA77
See I had been convincing myself that I only have a need for the 31mm ltd because 77mm is just not a focal length I don't think I would use much ( no portraiture etc...) but maybe I could use it as a short tele which is mostly what the da 70mm ltd serves as. Might have to rearrange my lens lineup a little.
03-19-2014, 10:56 PM   #2479
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by gda13 Quote
I had a feeling you were using the 31mm. Actually within the last week I had been keeping an eye out for a good used one ( would like a silver one perhaps) but something else popped up on market place that I couldn't walk away from since it is a bit more difficult to obtain, so I opted to wait a little longer on the 31mm. I know that 31mm will end up being my most used lens and since November I have been traveling quite a bit and my most used lens has been the 35mm ltd...I seem to just really prefer a focal length around that range. And I agree with regards to the rendering potential of those FA ltd lenses...they provide such a subtle gradient between tones, among other nice image qualities, that I find I like very much.

BTW quick service on that order of coffee ...I like it, and having just gone through 4 months of the most recent postings on this thread I saw the monochrome version and actually they both work well. Coffee has such a strong character that the mental association needn't be so subtle (at least for me since I grind my own beans and brew via french press daily), but again even though I am a bit biased for monochrome images I have to give a slight edge to the color version primarily because I like what the faded distressed "color" on the wood planks add to the image in terms of contrast. If there was no paint and only the bare old distressed wood then a texture and tone base mono would do nicely.

See I had been convincing myself that I only have a need for the 31mm ltd because 77mm is just not a focal length I don't think I would use much ( no portraiture etc...) but maybe I could use it as a short tele which is mostly what the da 70mm ltd serves as. Might have to rearrange my lens lineup a little.
What did you end up getting instead of the FA31 and will you be posting some of the shots from your travels?

Honestly, I'm not sure I can totally recommend the 77 to you. It's an absolutely wonderful portrait lens (one of the best IMO only rivaled by the FA85 as far as I can tell) but other than those couple of shots at the park I hardly use it as a short tele. I suppose if you use the DA70 a great deal and the 77 would be replacing that lens then it might make sense as an upgrade.

I'm glad you like the coffee shot and I also prefer the color version for much the same reasons.

03-20-2014, 01:38 PM   #2480
Pentaxian

FA31

Last edited by LeRolls; 03-20-2014 at 03:01 PM.
03-20-2014, 07:34 PM - 1 Like   #2481
Pentaxian

I prefer the color version but I think the textures and different tones make for a decent B&W as well. Let me know what you think.

It's hard to choose... I like both of them!
I really like what you've been posting here (all of your photos) regardless of genre. Congrats!
03-20-2014, 07:57 PM - 1 Like   #2482
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Caver Quote
It's hard to choose... I like both of them!
I really like what you've been posting here (all of your photos) regardless of genre. Congrats!
Thank you! That means a lot! I took a look at your PPG and you have some really nice color, texture, and mood shots.

03-20-2014, 09:15 PM - 1 Like   #2483
Pentaxian

What did you end up getting instead of the FA31 and will you be posting some of the shots from your travels?

Honestly, I'm not sure I can totally recommend the 77 to you. It's an absolutely wonderful portrait lens (one of the best IMO only rivaled by the FA85 as far as I can tell) but other than those couple of shots at the park I hardly use it as a short tele. I suppose if you use the DA70 a great deal and the 77 would be replacing that lens then it might make sense as an upgrade.

I'm glad you like the coffee shot and I also prefer the color version for much the same reasons.
I will be happy to post some...the K01plus some small limiteds makes for a great travel setup that is versatile and fairly inconspicuous. I am beginning the process of sorting out hundreds if not more than a thousand shots (many are family stuff so shouldn't be too bad) . Over the last 4 months we have gone to New Orleans for a week, hosted my parents from California for about 5weeks (took them all over Florida), Vietnam for 5 weeks during lunar New Year, and most recently a week in Philadelphia... Whew! And there is a possibility we may head up to D.C. to check out the Cherry Blossom festival next month.

So I ended up with the mega wide Sigma 8-16mm ...it is a lens I have been interested in for the last year or so and it just arrived today

Though it would be nice to get a 77mm sometime down the line I highly doubt it since yes I don't use teles much and for what I need, my 70mm Ltd and Rokinon 85mm 1.4 are great so I will heed your advice.

Keep up the good work... I'll have to sit down and go through your Flickr one of these days, speaking of which I got to get myself setup with some form of hosting site to make things easier.
03-20-2014, 11:28 PM   #2484
Pentaxian

---------- Post added 03-21-14 at 03:22 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by gda13 Quote
I will be happy to post some...the K01plus some small limiteds makes for a great travel setup that is versatile and fairly inconspicuous. I am beginning the process of sorting out hundreds if not more than a thousand shots (many are family stuff so shouldn't be too bad) . Over the last 4 months we have gone to New Orleans for a week, hosted my parents from California for about 5weeks (took them all over Florida), Vietnam for 5 weeks during lunar New Year, and most recently a week in Philadelphia... Whew! And there is a possibility we may head up to D.C. to check out the Cherry Blossom festival next month.

So I ended up with the mega wide Sigma 8-16mm ...it is a lens I have been interested in for the last year or so and it just arrived today

Though it would be nice to get a 77mm sometime down the line I highly doubt it since yes I don't use teles much and for what I need, my 70mm Ltd and Rokinon 85mm 1.4 are great so I will heed your advice.

Keep up the good work... I'll have to sit down and go through your Flickr one of these days, speaking of which I got to get myself setup with some form of hosting site to make things easier.
I definitely agree about the K-01 being a versatile and inconspicuous camera. It'll be interesting to see what kind of shots you get with that Sigma. I'm still trying to get the hang of the DA15 although I am glad to have it. Look forward to your travel shots especially the ones from Vietnam.
03-21-2014, 10:06 PM   #2485
Pentaxian

Some more shallow DOF work with the FA31. This time with a pair of old binoculars. It was fun to experiment.

Let me know if you have any thoughts.
03-22-2014, 06:17 AM - 1 Like   #2486
Veteran Member

Let me know if you have any thoughts.
My thought is "wow!"
Great colours and contrasts, sharp in-focus area and creative DoF with smooth bokeh.. cool shots
03-22-2014, 09:21 AM   #2487
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

A couple from this morning with the FA 31 limited...

03-22-2014, 01:54 PM   #2488
Veteran Member

In San Diego

@Rondec I'd love to get an idea of what your steps are to process your images, they really look great!
03-22-2014, 05:54 PM   #2489
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by littledrawe Quote

@Rondec I'd love to get an idea of what your steps are to process your images, they really look great!
Thanks. These were actually shot as series of three multi exposure in RAW. Sharpened them with Nik Effects RAW Presharpener and then ran them through Photomatix. The top one then was processed with Silver Efex. I can't say I am an awesome processor, but I do a lot in Nik Effects (Sharpener, Color Efex, Viveza and Silver Efex). If I do HDR, I use Photomatix.
03-22-2014, 07:51 PM - 2 Likes   #2490
Pentaxian

First shot from Megacon in Orlando. More to come. FA43