Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-22-2014, 09:37 PM   #2491
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
...ran them through Photomatix. The top one then was processed with Silver Efex.
The top one is great, very nice range of tones...I would say your processing is quite good, a lot of stuff I've seen done with Photomatix tends to be a little excessive.

QuoteOriginally posted by LeRolls Quote
First shot from Megacon in Orlando. More to come. FA43
The Rocketeer! I used to like attending Comic Con in San Diego...might have to check out Megacon next year, I took my brother-in-law to the one here in Tampa a few years ago and it wasn't so great unfortunately.

Got a few shots here from my recent trip to Vietnam...I've been working through them chronologically but there are quite a few and I still have a ways to go. Perhaps I'll start a thread over on post your photos where I can post many of them as a series by region/location.

Anyways these few are taken while on a daytrip boat ride ( a cool old style Sampan boat ) down a certain part of the Mekong river to a city called Vinh Long. BTW I took no tripod with me, not even my travel tripod since I knew we were going to be on the go at all times, and at all times of the day. So I really had to make due with things as they were not as I would have liked them to be. Also I only took the 21mm, 35mm and 70mm ltds with my K01 and this made for a very lite, portable and inconspicuous kit. However, I could have left the 70mm at home as I only used it for 1 situation the entire trip...at least 80% of the time my 35mm was mounted. I had a superb time...it definitely helps that many of my wife's family live there and I am very fortunate to be able to go to places besides the typical tourist areas...sometimes I went for days without seeing any foreigners at all! I look forward to going again and next time my tripod will be going with me as well as a different lens line-up

35mm ltd : Forward view from our Sampan.

35mm ltd: Old church from the French colonial days...still in use.

35mm ltd: Water taxi.

35mm ltd: Boats are the easiest way to get around in the Mekong delta region.

35mm ltd: Human powered boats too.

35mm ltd: This rice barge was loaded and though you can't tell from this shot, it's at least 25m in length.

Last edited by gda13; 03-28-2014 at 11:49 AM. Reason: change to srgb
03-23-2014, 12:42 AM - 1 Like   #2492
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
First shot from Megacon in Orlando. More to come. FA43
Great shot and love the BW conversion with those strongly emphasized textures ! Post more of these please!--manntax

---------- Post added 03-23-14 at 07:46 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by gda13 Quote
Got a few shots here from my recent trip to Vietnam...
Fantastic series of a an exotic country ! It is nice to be able to see how people manage with their day to day living in there ! Thanks for sharing !--manntax
03-23-2014, 01:33 AM   #2493
Pentaxian

The top one is great, very nice range of tones...I would say your processing is quite good, a lot of stuff I've seen done with Photomatix tends to be a little excessive.

The Rocketeer! I used to like attending Comic Con in San Diego...might have to check out Megacon next year, I took my brother-in-law to the one here in Tampa a few years ago and it wasn't so great unfortunately.

Agreed! Vincent always does a good job on his processing. Other than the opportunity to take pictures of some very brave and quirky individuals I really wouldn't recommend Megacon as it was a complete madhouse this year (could barely move at times). Just not a terribly enjoyable experience unfortunately. Do you have anymore shots of the church? Seems like an interesting structure. Looking forward to more shots!

QuoteOriginally posted by manntax Quote
Great shot and love the BW conversion with those strongly emphasized textures ! Post more of these please!--manntax
Thank you! I will certainly be posting more shortly.
03-23-2014, 04:11 AM - 1 Like   #2494
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Thanks guys. A couple more from yesterday with FA 31.

(these are all single photos edited in Nik Effects).

Last edited by Rondec; 03-23-2014 at 11:22 AM. Reason: Fixed dust spot.
03-23-2014, 04:44 AM - 2 Likes   #2495
Pentaxian

FA 43

03-23-2014, 06:00 AM   #2496
Pentaxian

I wonder if anyone has ever told Blue Haired Girl that her tattoo is nonsensical French... (But nice portrait!)
03-23-2014, 12:49 PM - 2 Likes   #2497
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Doundounba Quote
I wonder if anyone has ever told Blue Haired Girl that her tattoo is nonsensical French... (But nice portrait!)
I'm guessing probably not...thanks by the way!

A few more from Megacon. FA43

Last edited by LeRolls; 03-23-2014 at 12:58 PM.
03-23-2014, 01:09 PM - 1 Like   #2498
Forum Member

macro

03-23-2014, 01:14 PM - 1 Like   #2499
Veteran Member

The way you use that lens really doesn't get any better in my books !! Great portraits and great PP - well done !--manntax

A few more from Megacon. FA43
FA 43
03-23-2014, 04:34 PM   #2500
Pentaxian

The way you use that lens really doesn't get any better in my books !! Great portraits and great PP - well done !--manntax
You are too kind good sir!

Three more. FA43

I see these three shots as almost like a story. I meet the two cute daughters then the not so cute overly protective father!
03-23-2014, 04:37 PM   #2501
Veteran Member

Whoa - no way ! You have kept the best ones at the end !! Great shots ... of great models too !--manntax

Three more. FA43
You are too kind good sir!
Not at all !!

---------- Post added 03-23-14 at 11:49 PM ----------

I just noticed your post - superb images !! Looks like I will be haunted tonight....... with FA 31 and FA 43 :P --manntax

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Thanks guys. A couple more from yesterday with FA 31.

Last edited by manntax; 03-23-2014 at 04:47 PM.
03-24-2014, 08:28 PM   #2502
Pentaxian

Last three from Megacon. FA43

03-24-2014, 09:58 PM   #2503
Pentaxian

That's why I like this thread, it must be one of the more diverse ones on this forum...so many great and varied pictures taken with the humble brick!

Fantastic series of a an exotic country ! It is nice to be able to see how people manage with their day to day living in there ! Thanks for sharing !--manntax
Glad you like it! They manage really well surprisingly ( I am speaking in general terms in this reply ) and it amazes and impresses me how hard many of even the poorest citizens are willing to work for their living...I guess when you don't have government handouts to take advantage of its difficult to be lazy especially when you have a family to take care of. It helps that food there is unbelievably cheap but extremely delicious so even the poorest eat pretty good! Lifestyles also vary with region, for example, as is the trend with many other countries in recent decades there have been more young people leaving the rural areas and heading into the major cities, especially Saigon. As a result there is such a dynamic controlled chaos to that city which tends to be infectious and many that bring that hard work ethic with them can attain quite a level of success in Saigon...lots of enterprising people there.

Other than the opportunity to take pictures of some very brave and quirky individuals I really wouldn't recommend Megacon as it was a complete madhouse this year (could barely move at times). Just not a terribly enjoyable experience unfortunately. Do you have anymore shots of the church? Seems like an interesting structure. Looking forward to more shots!
Comic Con which is the mother-of-all of them is what I would call a madhouse and that makes for a much more interesting experience because a convention with little attendance is a sad one, such was the case with the one in Tampa. Anyways I like to go to see all those interesting people especially the cosplayers who can be very creative and I generally would leave my camera at home for this kind of thing but anyways I digress. Here is another view of that church. There are many old churches in Vietnam and for one of my future visits I would like to focus on taking photos of more of them.

BTW excellent cosplay photos you've posted here...cosplay photography is huge and its crazy how serious some take it, but their studio work shows it, as can be expected, since its a more controlled environment. Considering yours were captured at ground zero...nice job! Especially with "flag guy", "amor dude", "helmet chick", "protective father" and "wing head girl...you managed to get these in some pretty favorable lighting despite the conditions that would be typical for a convention center venue.

A few more pics from Vietnam this time from around the Citadel at the old Imperial Capital City of Hue in the central region (all with the 35mm ltd again).

Thế Tổ Miếu : Temple dedicated to the emperors of the Nguyễn Dynasty.

Taking an afternoon stroll.

Urn and alter.

Chilling in the shade on a hot day.

Last edited by gda13; 03-28-2014 at 12:07 PM. Reason: change to srgb
03-25-2014, 07:49 AM - 1 Like   #2504
Pentaxian

Comic Con which is the mother-of-all of them is what I would call a madhouse and that makes for a much more interesting experience because a convention with little attendance is a sad one, such was the case with the one in Tampa. Anyways I like to go to see all those interesting people especially the cosplayers who can be very creative and I generally would leave my camera at home for this kind of thing but anyways I digress.

BTW excellent cosplay photos you've posted here...cosplay photography is huge and its crazy how serious some take it, but their studio work shows it, as can be expected, since its a more controlled environment. Considering yours were captured at ground zero...nice job! Especially with "flag guy", "amor dude", "helmet chick", "protective father" and "wing head girl...you managed to get these in some pretty favorable lighting despite the conditions that would be typical for a convention center venue.
I would love to someday check out Comic Con and Dragon Con in Atlanta. I have been to plenty of smaller conventions that were quite fun because you actually get the chance to socialize, talk to old friends, and make new friends. When it's too crowded there's always this overwhelming tide of people pushing you in one direction or another and you end up missing out on so much. In the end though I came away with some decent shots so I can't complain too much since that was what I was mostly there for anyway.

I agree that cosplay photography has gotten really serious/professional in the last few years and I would like to get more into that but I'm just not too keen about the heavily photoshopped/green-screen stuff that seems to be popular. Thank you for the kind comments. I do appreciate it! Oh and keep those Vietnam photos coming!

One more:

Last edited by LeRolls; 03-25-2014 at 09:29 AM.
03-25-2014, 02:54 PM   #2505
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Got a few shots here from my recent trip to Vietnam...I've been working through them chronologically but there are quite a few and I still have a ways to go. Perhaps I'll start a thread over on post your photos where I can post many of them as a series by region/location.

Anyways these few are taken while on a daytrip boat ride ( a cool old style Sampan boat ) down a certain part of the Mekong river to a city called Vinh Long. BTW I took no tripod with me, not even my travel tripod since I knew we were going to be on the go at all times, and at all times of the day. So I really had to make due with things as they were not as I would have liked them to be. Also I only took the 21mm, 35mm and 70mm ltds with my K01 and this made for a very lite, portable and inconspicuous kit. However, I could have left the 70mm at home as I only used it for 1 situation the entire trip...at least 80% of the time my 35mm was mounted. I had a superb time...it definitely helps that many of my wife's family live there and I am very fortunate to be able to go to places besides the typical tourist areas...sometimes I went for days without seeing any foreigners at all! I look forward to going again and next time my tripod will be going with me as well as a different lens line-up

35mm ltd : Forward view from our Sampan.

35mm ltd: Water taxi.

35mm ltd: Boats are the easiest way to get around in the Mekong delta region.

35mm ltd: Human powered boats too.

35mm ltd: This rice barge was loaded and though you can't tell from this shot, it's at least 25m in length.
Enjoyed these a lot!