Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-09-2012, 07:29 PM - 1 Like   #1

Photos: Gallery
Add your best K-01 photos here

Rupert suggested it, and I'm starting the thread.

Next?

03-09-2012, 09:28 PM   #2

Original Poster
Added by request ...

03-09-2012, 09:42 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nice! You beat me. I can't wait. I guess it will have to be boring spring flowers at first though. None of my models seems willing to take one for the cause (children are trickling in from college before departing for Spring Break sun). Ah well. Maybe cat photos (no - I can't. I really can't do a cat video for YouTube).
03-09-2012, 09:48 PM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Nice! You beat me. I can't wait. I guess it will have to be boring spring flowers at first though. None of my models seems willing to take one for the cause (children are trickling in from college before departing for Spring Break sun). Ah well. Maybe cat photos (no - I can't. I really can't do a cat video for YouTube).
Cats, spring flowers ... who says these are boring? Post!

03-10-2012, 10:23 AM   #5

QuoteOriginally posted by ibkc Quote
Added by request ...
I'm glad you added that second image!
03-10-2012, 12:12 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Maybe cat photos (no - I can't. I really can't do a cat video for YouTube).
I <3 cats.
03-10-2012, 02:03 PM   #7
Banned

I was testing HDR mode and shot a K-01 self-portrait in HDR3 mode. It had the 50mm F1.4 FA lens on it @F4.0

Last edited by jogiba; 03-10-2012 at 02:32 PM.
03-10-2012, 02:31 PM   #8
Veteran Member

In-cam HDR: not for me.
03-10-2012, 02:42 PM - 4 Likes   #9
Banned

K-7 In camera HDR

I use it sometimes in light conditions like this:

03-10-2012, 03:37 PM   #10

QuoteOriginally posted by jogiba Quote
Yes! Now that is what HDR should be all about (whether it is done in-camera or during post processing). This is the first time I've knowingly seen HDR being used to fix the highlights and/or shadows in a scene instead of using it to create impressionist art. Image correction is the only reason I would use HDR.

It's disappointing that the K-01 can only produce JPEGs in in-camera HDR mode; nonetheless, I would probably still use it occasionally. Most of the time I would probably do exposure bracketing and then do my HDR editing during post processing. My only question is, would it still be easy to get a normal (meaning non-impressionist) image that way, or is there something about doing HDR during post processing that intensifies the colors and makes the lighting look unnatural?

Yes, I know that tone mapping also has a lot (or everything?) to do with the intense colors and unnatural lighting, but I did a five-bracket exposure set (I don't know how else to write that) with my ancient point-and-shoot last year and ran it through a free, but highly rated, HDR editor (HDRtist), and the colors came out ever so slightly more intense than usual, so it made me wonder.

P.S. I wish my Epson 4990 scanner could scan in HDR -- or multi-pass -- mode and produce RAW files, although I guess I could rescan an image several times with different settings each time and just work with TIFF files; that would probably make a mess, though.

Last edited by Welfl; 03-10-2012 at 05:39 PM.
03-10-2012, 04:29 PM - 2 Likes   #11
Veteran Member

Went out in the gray day looking for bluebonnets. Took a variety of shots, but I like this one the best. I'll say that I'm most impressed by the DA40XS lens. Very sharp! I may still sell it as I have the DA40 Ltd, but it's very nice.

03-10-2012, 06:48 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jogiba Quote
Perfect example of where to use HDR PHOTOGRAPHY
03-11-2012, 06:40 AM   #13

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Welfl Quote
Yes! Now that is what HDR should be all about (whether it is done in-camera or during post processing). This is the first time I've knowingly seen HDR being used to fix the highlights and/or shadows in a scene instead of using it to create impressionist art. Image correction is the only reason I would use HDR.

It's disappointing that the K-01 can only produce JPEGs in in-camera HDR mode; nonetheless, I would probably still use it occasionally. Most of the time I would probably do exposure bracketing and then do my HDR editing during post processing. My only question is, would it still be easy to get a normal (meaning non-impressionist) image that way, or is there something about doing HDR during post processing that intensifies the colors and makes the lighting look unnatural?

Yes, I know that tone mapping also has a lot (or everything?) to do with the intense colors and unnatural lighting, but I did a five-bracket exposure set (I don't know how else to write that) with my ancient point-and-shoot last year and ran it through a free, but highly rated, HDR editor (HDRtist), and the colors came out ever so slightly more intense than usual, so it made me wonder..
I haven't tried any HDR with my K-01 yet; but it has an automatic exposure bracket feature, and I plan to do it that way instead of using the in-camera HDR feature.

I also have HDRartist (mine wasn't free - perhaps there are two versions? It's not expensive, though). There are many pre-sets within that program, as you know, and within the pre-sets, you can change the settings for each. You can even make your own presets.

So the short answer is, no - HDR does not have to look weird and unnatural. I'm one of those who really doesn't like that "overcooked" HDR look, and when I do it, I go for a heightened sense of reality instead of all the strange effects. Some people really get into using HDR for painterly effects or other such. Different strokes for different folks!

Last edited by ibkc; 03-11-2012 at 06:41 AM. Reason: typo
03-11-2012, 08:02 AM - 7 Likes   #14
Veteran Member

I've been having quite a bit fun w/ the new camera. Took a lot photos, already posted the following here an there, but I'd link them here as a start. Hope there'd be more coming from you guys :

03-11-2012, 08:09 AM   #15

Original Poster
Fantastic macros!