Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-13-2012, 11:24 AM   #31
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
I just got the Optio PTL-X80 case for $9.95 for the K-01 from Amazon. Not sure what happened for user above, but my camera fits perfectly in case with DA XS 40mm lens attached. It does bulge the case out a bit, but it fits in there fine and there is room at end for a spare battery or one of the small 27mm lens hoods. I guess you could also put body in main part and a small limited lens in end divided compartment as well, but that's about it.

Think of it as a very small form-fitting case for K-01 that is well padded and has room for a spare battery, some cards, and a cleaning cloth or something. You will NOT be able to fit the charger and cord in it too...

And there is no way you could use it with any lens other than 40mm XS or other small pancake lens.

I just throw this little bag into whatever else I am carrying so I always have the K-01 with me.

This is a REALLY nice leather bag for $9.95. It has two velcro dividers in it, a strap, has a belt loop on back, side velcro pocket, mesh pocket under zipper lid, AND it is genuine leather. It is a very nice little bag.

Even if you decided you didn't like how the K-01 fits in there, you could use it for a small shaving kit, other electronics--phone, charger, cables, headphones, etc.

I mean I am thinking of ordering another one just because it is so nice and cheap.

I think it is just what you need if all you want is bare bones protection for the K-01 with DA XS40mm.

Also, I am really shocked at how much more you can carry in a "regular" camera bag when you don't have a big DSLR --K-20d and grip-- in it and just the K-01. I added some dividers to my Lowepro Adventura 120 bag and I can fit the K-01 with a ton of lenses in there.

The K-01 really reinvigorated my collection of small(er) camera bags due to its small size.

12-13-2012, 12:18 PM   #32
Pentaxian

I'm not positive it will fit as I don't own a K-01 or this bag (yet...), but based on some specs that I came across, the Lowepro Adventura Ultra Zoom 100 looks like it would be great for a K-01 and one DA limited pancake attached. At least, the pictures shows that the bag fits the Canon SX20 IS superzoom camera, which according to the dimensions is roughly the same as the K-01 with a DA 40 attached. So a DA XS 40 would definitely work too, as might a DA 21mm and DA 70.

Lowepro Adventura Ultra Zoom 100 Shoulder Bag LP36214-0AM B&H
02-01-2013, 01:10 PM   #33
Pentaxian

OK, since posting my last message on this thread in mid December, I've gotten myself a K-01 and a small camera bag for it. I went ahead and got the Lowepro Adventura 100. Because I had a gift card, I went to Best Buy and they price-matched the B&H deal (Best Buy was selling for $19.99, and B&H for $12.49). I'll try to take pictures of the case with the K-01 in it this weekend and post it. I have my DA 21mm attached to the K-01 and the camera fits either by placing it into the bag while on its side, or having the lens pointing towards the back of the bag. (again, pictures will explain this better). It fits well with the DA 21, if a tiny bit snug, and obviously it fits even better with a DA 40. There is just enough room for a spare battery, a spare memory card, and...nothing else. But for a minimalist case, it's quite nice and I would recommend it to anyone who needs just a simple bag to hold the camera with just a single DA limited pancake lens attached (21, 40, or 70 without the hood). And I really like the grab handle on top! Note that my K-01 has just a Gordy wrist strap attached, so it's particularly compact. The official Pentax K-01 neck strap would probably also fit in there too because it's pretty thin, but any other bulky neck strap (like a Crumpler Industry Disgrace, which I use with my K-x) would definitely not fit inside.

I also looked at the Manfrotto Bella II bag at Best Buy. It looks nice but I didn't like the big metal clasp in the front. Otherwise, I think the K-01 would fit in there just fine with a pancake lens. But there is no easy-carry top handle to grab onto, just a small loop to hang it up.

Pictures coming soon!

Last edited by seventysixersfan; 02-01-2013 at 01:17 PM.
02-01-2013, 02:28 PM   #34
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by seventysixersfan Quote
OK, since posting my last message on this thread in mid December, I've gotten myself a K-01 and a small camera bag for it. I went ahead and got the Lowepro Adventura 100. Because I had a gift card, I went to Best Buy and they price-matched the B&H deal (Best Buy was selling for $19.99, and B&H for $12.49). I'll try to take pictures of the case with the K-01 in it this weekend and post it. I have my DA 21mm attached to the K-01 and the camera fits either by placing it into the bag while on its side, or having the lens pointing towards the back of the bag. (again, pictures will explain this better). It fits well with the DA 21, if a tiny bit snug, and obviously it fits even better with a DA 40. There is just enough room for a spare battery, a spare memory card, and...nothing else. But for a minimalist case, it's quite nice and I would recommend it to anyone who needs just a simple bag to hold the camera with just a single DA limited pancake lens attached (21, 40, or 70 without the hood). And I really like the grab handle on top! Note that my K-01 has just a Gordy wrist strap attached, so it's particularly compact. The official Pentax K-01 neck strap would probably also fit in there too because it's pretty thin, but any other bulky neck strap (like a Crumpler Industry Disgrace, which I use with my K-x) would definitely not fit inside.

I also looked at the Manfrotto Bella II bag at Best Buy. It looks nice but I didn't like the big metal clasp in the front. Otherwise, I think the K-01 would fit in there just fine with a pancake lens. But there is no easy-carry top handle to grab onto, just a small loop to hang it up.

Pictures coming soon!
I have the Lowepro Adventura 100 as well (got it at Wal-Mart, I think). Mine had a velcro divider that I moved to the front to form a pocket for the DA40XS. If I put the camera in grip-first, it has enough stretch that I can fit a K-01 with a small lens like the DA21, M28, M50, or even a little bigger.

02-01-2013, 03:41 PM   #35
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by THoog Quote
I have the Lowepro Adventura 100 as well (got it at Wal-Mart, I think). Mine had a velcro divider that I moved to the front to form a pocket for the DA40XS. If I put the camera in grip-first, it has enough stretch that I can fit a K-01 with a small lens like the DA21, M28, M50, or even a little bigger.
Thanks for mentioning that;I removed the velcro divider entirely. But I could put it back in to create a small barrier to put a spare battery or maybe filters. I sold off my DA40XS so I don't have such a slim lens anymore!! But I'm happy with my DA 40 limited...

Todd, don't you have at least two, if not three, K-01's? Do you use other bags beside the Adventura 100 for them? Does it depend on how many lenses you're taking with you?
02-01-2013, 05:38 PM - 1 Like   #36
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks for mentioning that;I removed the velcro divider entirely. But I could put it back in to create a small barrier to put a spare battery or maybe filters. I sold off my DA40XS so I don't have such a slim lens anymore!! But I'm happy with my DA 40 limited...

Todd, don't you have at least two, if not three, K-01's? Do you use other bags beside the Adventura 100 for them? Does it depend on how many lenses you're taking with you?
Hi, I'm Todd, and I'm a K-01 Addict. (Hi, Todd!) I own all four colors of the K-01, but I've started a 12-step program, and it's been over a month since I bought a K-01. (Applause)

Yes, I use an assortment of bags, depending on the situation. For just "a walk in the park" stuff, the K-01 stays strapped to my hand, and my favorite bag for lenses is the Lowepro Edit 100 (another Wal-Mart find). It's roughly the size of the Adventura 100, but the main compartment is smaller - too small for the K-01 with a lens, but perfect for four Limited or small M lenses, with side pouches for spare battery, add-on OVF, filters, or a flattened rubber hood. The one thing I didn't like about it was all the jingly zippers, so I removed the pulls and replaced them with knotted cords, similar to the Adventura.

My next bigger bag is a battered old Tamrac 5401 camcorder bag. It's big enough for a body, two mid-size lenses, and two small lenses. At the moment, it's got a K-01 with an FA50, a Samyang 85, a Sigma 30/1.4, and an M lens. I could probably squeeze another M or Limited in the mesh pocket in the lid if I wanted to.

If I want something discreet that doesn't look like a camera bag, I've got a Timbuk2 mini messenger bag that doubles as a case for my netbook and/or my work bag / man purse. When it's a camera bag, I put the K-01 into an OP/TECH neoprene soft pouch, with improvised padding for the lenses (I'm looking at more OP/TECH pouches for them).
02-01-2013, 06:39 PM   #37
Loyal Site Supporter

I have the Manfrotto Bella II bag and it's decent enough for the K-01 but I actually mostly use the Lowepro Dashpoint 30 for quick carry around since it goes on my belt quite easily. I often have my Q on the right side in the Dashpoint 20 and the K-01 on the left side in the Dashpoint 30. I sometimes also carry around the Pentax Optio bag with the strap with me which contains additional lenses for both the K-01 and Q.
02-01-2013, 08:27 PM   #38
Pentaxian

As promised, here are some pictures of my K-01, with DA 21mm lens attached, inside the Lowepro Adventura 100.

Last edited by seventysixersfan; 02-02-2013 at 11:33 AM.
02-01-2013, 09:47 PM   #39
Loyal Site Supporter

Lowepro Adventura 100 and Edit 100, and Adventura 100 with DA 40 XS + K-01 with M50 in "grip-down" position:

Two-lens kit: Adventura zipped up with DA 40 XS and K-01 with M50 in "grip down" position:

Tamrac bag with K-01, FA50, M50, Samyang 85, and Sigma 30 (you can't see them all, but trust me, they're in there. ):

Last edited by THoog; 02-02-2013 at 07:00 AM. Reason: Updated image
02-02-2013, 11:34 AM   #40
Pentaxian

nice! didn't think about putting it in grip down to try to use some of that space. but as I have a wrist strap, grip-down may not work that well...
02-02-2013, 11:51 AM   #41
Loyal Site Supporter

nice! didn't think about putting it in grip down to try to use some of that space. but as I have a wrist strap, grip-down may not work that well...
Yeah, I use a much smaller wrist strap (basically a big point-n-shoot strap) that's a bit more bendy.
02-15-2013, 07:37 AM   #42
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I will be using the Pentax holster that originally came with the ist ds kit.
Room for another lens and travel docs too.

If those holsters are still available I might get another one.
They are not shown on pentaximaging site.

Last edited by wombat2go; 02-15-2013 at 07:48 AM. Reason: not available
02-15-2013, 07:54 PM   #43

Want to try original Pentax Sling bag for all stuff. Hope it will be comfy.
03-06-2013, 07:46 AM   #44
Veteran Member

I went with the IKAN sling bag available from BH and Adorama. I wanted a small canvas sling bag and this works great. It's got flaps where the strap attaches to the bag that wrap around my hip when I'm wearing it so the bag doesn't flop around the way a normal shoulder bag would. It's also sized just right for the k-01 plus one or two long lenses. A DSLR would be a tad too big and a normal MILC would leave too much room in the bag. I added a memory card case to it because the pocket isn't really designed to hold the normal digital photo accessories.

Plus it's not black - I got the tan one. Seems like black is the popular color amongst photographers these days.
03-06-2013, 01:49 PM - 1 Like   #45
Veteran Member

Here's a quick snap of the IKAN sling bag.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-01  Photo