Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 18 Likes Search this Thread
03-10-2012, 05:04 PM   #16
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by rfortson Quote

Wait a minute....what the....did you know my K-01 doesn't have a viewfiner??!!??
WHAT? Damn; I was just about to order one.
Seriously, I'm 99.9% convinced that life as I know it won't continue unless I get one. I think it's time.

03-10-2012, 06:15 PM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Was post 666 devilishly hateful?
Strangely enough it was very nice and complementary.
03-10-2012, 06:27 PM - 1 Like   #18
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by WWWench Quote
I am getting so tired of fellow Pentax photographers being vitriolic about the K-01, most IMHO, have never even held it!
It's almost like posting Pentax kudos or info in a Canon forum.

-- We all have noticed it has no mirror or prism viewfinder --

Just read one that said it's only value is as a Facebook snapshot camera suited for beginners.
This is another beginner camera perhaps?
A number of us have noticed that it has no mirror, prism or viewfinder and are very concerned that this is the direction that Pentax is going to take. If Pentax continues to make DSLRs, and things like the K-01 are just sideshow acts, then fine, if they drop DSLRs in favour of things like the K-01, then not so fine. I see nothing wrong with sending Pentax a very strong message that things like the K-01 are not acceptable products, if things like the K-01 are not acceptable.
BTW, your example is pretty stupid.
But you knew that, since you can, apparently type and post on forums.
03-10-2012, 06:43 PM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
A number of us have noticed that it has no mirror, prism or viewfinder and are very concerned that this is the direction that Pentax is going to take. If Pentax continues to make DSLRs, and things like the K-01 are just sideshow acts, then fine, if they drop DSLRs in favour of things like the K-01, then not so fine. I see nothing wrong with sending Pentax a very strong message that things like the K-01 are not acceptable products, if things like the K-01 are not acceptable.
Has Pentax or anyone else suggested that this is the exclusive direction of the company from here on?

03-10-2012, 06:46 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I see nothing wrong with sending Pentax a very strong message
Nor do I and I`m pretty sure Pentax Japan has email.
The same old same old bitching and moaning, over and over, here accomplishes nothing.
03-10-2012, 07:01 PM - 1 Like   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Your argument is facile.

Is "a number" of you, personally, the arbiter of what is acceptable for a company such as Ricoh to manufacture and sell? But - OK - if you think you are, make that statement, directly and loudly - to Ricoh Pentax Imaging Company, Ltd. But don't tell me I'm stupid for wanting and liking the K-01. You aren't the arbiter of what I want and what I should like.

IMHO this is nothing more than spoiled children throwing a six week temper tantrum.

Ricoh will not allow Pentax to drop dSLR's and you should know that.

Last edited by monochrome; 03-10-2012 at 09:42 PM.
03-10-2012, 07:22 PM   #22
Veteran Member

To echo monochrome, the notion that Pentax is going to do away with mirrors is downright silly. Traditionalists should be rejoicing that the K-01 reaffirms Pentax's commitment to K mount.

It seems safe to assume that a K mount module for GXR is in the works. That means that in the near future we'll have four ways to use our K mount lenses: SLRs, mirrorless, GXR and Q (via adapter). Your investment in K mount glass will not go to waste -- you're getting more ways to make use of it. Isn't that a good thing?

03-10-2012, 07:50 PM   #23
Pentaxian

Considering that the last two new products, not counting replacements of existing models, were the 645D and the Q it is hard to see a pattern towards one specific direction for Pentax. Thus it would be pretty presumptuous to believe that the K01 was to replace DSLRs. There were some against Pentax making the 645D as well back before its introduction.

I would guess that the K01 would be more likely to be present in the big box stores that currently do not carry many if any Pentax products and if this is the case then there should be more reasons not less for Pentax to make more lenses and even further expand the K mount line, perhaps the full frame that so many think is needed. And even if those who buy a K01 buy used lenses instead of new ones, there would be less around so some one else would need to buy the new ones. As far as I can see as long as Pentax makes its living off the K mount line they will not kill it off or even limit it to mirrorless units. I forsee them having two or three levels of the K01 type cameras and still have two K mount DSLRs and perhaps eventually full frame but I do not see the K01 taking away from either the current model type nor delay a full frame if it is on the horizon. And if one hates the idea of Pentax making some thing else instead of the model they want, the rant should be at the company not at the new product. Turn people off for no other reason than you do not want that particular product and the company will have less not more reason to make a different type of product such as full frame.
03-10-2012, 09:53 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Amen.

Yuor argument is facile, but - OK - make that statement, directly and loudly.
Many of us have.

But don't tell me I'm stupid for wanting and liking the K-01. IMHO this is nothing more than spoiled children throwing a six week temper tantrum.
I really haven't seen many (any?) people bashing K-01 owners (TBF I'm not looking either), only people bashing the K-01 itself and/or Pentax's folly in producing two "alt" cameras while discontinuing 50% of their dSLR line and not even hinting that they are going to continue producing dSLRs.
The only childish fits I've witnessed, to date, have come from fanboys whose skin is too thin to read the honest opinions of those who don't share their unbounded exuberance over yet another not-an-upgrade release.
You know, I get jabs and cocked eyebrows simply for holding a camera with the word PENTAX on it. I don't let the opinions of those people worry me, or prevent me from shooting circles around them.

Ricoh will not allow Pentax to drop dSLR's and you should know that.
I hope your confidence of faith is well founded.
03-10-2012, 10:23 PM - 1 Like   #25
Veteran Member

here is my two cents . when my camera is in the camera bag for too long and I am online reading about camera gear BC I am too lazy to go outside and shoot then I hate pentax, I envy the new fuji , the new olympus, I wish we had a full frame (thou I not a fan to say the least of huge ugly black DSLR Canonikon style ) .
when I stop being lazy and go outside to shoot with my pentax it is ALWAYS a pleasure, so bottom line comments on forums is for people that does not take pictures (at the moment, or at all )
03-10-2012, 10:29 PM   #26
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Venturi Quote
Amen.

Many of us have.

I really haven't seen many (any?) people bashing K-01 owners (TBF I'm not looking either), only people bashing the K-01 itself and/or Pentax's folly in producing two "alt" cameras while discontinuing 50% of their dSLR line and not even hinting that they are going to continue producing dSLRs.
The only childish fits I've witnessed, to date, have come from fanboys whose skin is too thin to read the honest opinions of those who don't share their unbounded exuberance over yet another not-an-upgrade release.
You know, I get jabs and cocked eyebrows simply for holding a camera with the word PENTAX on it. I don't let the opinions of those people worry me, or prevent me from shooting circles around them.

I hope your confidence of faith is well founded.
My confidence in Pentax's and Ricoh's plans is well-founded.

My skin is thick enough, thank you very much. I have been openly and in PM's labeled an "unserious." photographer whose opinion is not as meaningful as one from more accomplished and informed members, JohnMFlores has literally been chased out of the Forum. Asahiflex isn't posting much. You may not have "seen" personal attacks, but they are happening and they are real.

The PM's are - interesting. Several good members have PM'ed me that this might be a good time to retire from the Forum for a while - perhaps they are correct.

Opinions are fine. Everyone is entitled to them. Badgering people who disagree isn't acceptable behavior.The Forum is approaching dpreview in its tone - a sad commentary.
03-10-2012, 10:31 PM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by redpigeons Quote
here is my two cents . when my camera is in the camera bag for too long and I am online reading about camera gear BC I am too lazy to go outside and shoot then I hate pentax, I envy the new fuji , the new olympus, I wish we had a full frame (thou I not a fan to say the least of huge ugly black DSLR Canonikon style ) .
when I stop being lazy and go outside to shoot with my pentax it is ALWAYS a pleasure, so bottom line comments on forums is for people that does not take pictures (at the moment, or at all )
Hey hey, it's 12:30AM over here and freezing outside, I have nowhere else to be except the forum right now !
03-10-2012, 10:51 PM   #28
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Yep...

QuoteOriginally posted by redrockcoulee Quote

I would guess that the K01 would be more likely to be present in the big box stores that currently do not carry many if any Pentax products...
I think that you are probably right. I think it is one of the strategies that Ricoh wants to employ to gain market share. A place like Crutchfield is carrying the K-01, the Q, and a couple of newer model Pentax P&S's. (Nothing from Ricoh, BTW.) Crutchfield carries DSLR's from only three brands - Canon, Nikon, and Sony. Even though a place like Crutchfield carries a full line of Canon products, Canon doesn't produce products like the K-01 or Q. Both the K-01 and the Q are niche products. Ricoh seems to be betting that the combination of Pentax niche products and major retailers will, at the least, make the Pentax name more recognizeable. More recognition should help in comparisons to the Canon, Nikon, or Sony. Because C/N/S doesn't offer products that closely equate to the K-01 or Q, Ricoh/Pentax may have an edge on these types of niche products.

Hell, at least Ricoh/Pentax wants to be on the edge of something.
03-10-2012, 11:59 PM   #29
Inactive Account

Just going to add my 2c re: commenting on Products that you do not like.

Firstly, it is just YOU and if someone else needs to comment then they will.
Secondly if it is to the attention of Pentax, then very well send Pentax an email about it.
Thirdly multiple postings of the same feeling is not going to make any argument any stronger, in fact it will make Pentax LESS likely to read such posts.

I see it much better to run maybe one thread with each release with a poll to see who likes/dislikes, who will buy and won't buy and leave the comments for whys and then leave it there.

After all who wants to come to a Pentax Appreciation Forum (I say appreciation as who sets up a negative forum?) and read so much hating?

Of course this is the dream world and it doesn't work like that by human nature and where does a negative post end and a constructive one begin?

It reminds me when I was working at Sony and openly expressed my dislike for the new insubstantial grip on some of their DSLR cameras (it played a factor in me changing brands, so it was a big issue TO ME), but guess what they sold truck loads to new markets and gave them the $$$ to develop SLT and the A77.
03-11-2012, 02:17 AM   #30
Veteran Member

'Hater' is too strong a word for something the whiners don't even want and which doesn't have any negative affect on their lives by existing.
The K-01 will sell to those who love it, want it and will make use of it. PENTAX aren't trying to sell it to those who don't want it, no-one has to make them happy just because they aren't.. These people just need to vent, it's in their personality. Just like those who are slagging off Windows 8 Metro and the loss of the Start button in Windows 8 desktop mode. Don't you think these companies do extensive research first and know the market they're aiming the product at?

I know from life experience that when something is really very different and I don't feel comfortable with it immediately, that a few weeks or months down the track I often end up loving it. Humans so easily get into a comfort zone and stay there because it's the easiest thing to do and while others adapt to new stuff they refuse change and get left behind. That's fine - it's called 'Natural Selection'...

Cheers