Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 18 Likes Search this Thread
03-11-2012, 04:09 PM   #76
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ibkc Quote
I am frankly sick of Canikon and I really wish Pentax, Fujifilm -- somebody could start to challenge those guys with new ideas and better technology.
I now that there has been lots written about a Pentax FF.

I could be wrong, but until FF sensors drop in price greatly and allow a FF body to fall inline with the economics that Ricoh / Pentax needs to sell and be profitable, I doubt that we will see one. It may be in the longer term strategy since R/P doesn't seem to want to kill off production of K-mount FF lenses. However, in the shorter term, Pentax seems to be in a mode where they are squeezing every last drop from their lemons. In some sense it seems that they are in survival mode, and they need to watch their pricing closely to still have the demand they need to be able to expand. The K-5 is an updated K-7 and the K-01 uses the K-5 sensor, etc. That method of product development is economical.

Somewhat of an outlier is the 645D. Even the 645D is very closely related to its predesessor. Without the 645D, I would bet that Pentax would have even less cred in the pro markets. Given that Pentax has such a rich history I doubt that they are willing to give up on the pros entirely. Also, I would bet that dealing with demand and production of a very niche $10,000 unit is probably much easier than dealing with the unknown demand of a FF DSLR that will need to be produced in numbers much greater than the 645D.

One of the reasons why I went for Pentax is their features per price ratio. I think that that is even true for the 645D. I don't think that there are many medium format digital cameras for $10k.

Last edited by lammie200; 03-11-2012 at 06:21 PM.
03-11-2012, 04:22 PM   #77
Banned

I think the problem is some people are only using one camera and the K-01 is not the best as your only camera. I have so many cameras I lost count and the K-01 is the best for video with my many K-mount lenses.

If I take the kids on a day trip to the park I think I would take my Panasonic TM700 3MOS camcorder to shoot video in 1080p60 mode because the kids love watching themselves in slow motion when played back on the PS3 connected to a large HDTV. Or I might take my Panasonic GH2 if I planned on shooting both stills and video but the TM700 also shoots stills but like a P&S and not a m4/3rds . My K-7 shoots great stills and 720p video but I like using the grip and that is too heavy to hang from my neck all day. Anyone with the K-5 is not going to get the K-01 unless they want to shoot video in manual mode.

So if you have the K-5 and only shoot stills you most likely hate the K-01 since it's not the camera for you if you need an OVF.
03-11-2012, 05:32 PM   #78
Veteran Member

Re: Full-frame Pentax. All I can say is that it's a new day now that Ricoh has the company and it might very well happen. Some history for Pentax newbies or those who may have forgotten:

That MZ-D episode at the beginning of the DSLR era almost put Pentax put of business and ended their existence as an independent company. Enter Hoya Corp., which was really interested in Pentax's medical-imaging business but took the whole company. Hoya never wanted the money-losing Pentax camera division. But, to their credit, they didn't fold it and didn't flip it to some private-equity firm that would have bled it dry and then cast off the empty shell. Hoya worked to get the company into the black, even if it meant slowing product development and raising prices - both of which enraged a lot of Pentaxians (who, by and large, are a bunch of cheapskates - myself included). Clearly, a full-frame DSLR wan't going to happen on their watch.

But when Hoya did sell Pentax cameras, they chose to sell it to Ricoh - which really wanted it and had the resources and interest to bring the brand back. So a full-frame camera could happen... just don't start wailing if it ends up being a mirrorless device. And don't be too angry at Pentax. Because I'm sure almost everyone working there wanted the same things Pentaxians want - but couldn't make happen because they were fighting for survival. Don't forget that shortly after Hoya bought them, the financial crisis was upon us - triggering a worldwide recession, the worst since the Great Depression of the 1930s.

Today, anything Pentax brings out that appeals to the mass market and makes them money is a good thing. Because it means there's money to develop the things that enthusiasts Pentax want. Maybe even a full-frame camera. And the fact that the K-01 uses the K-mount is a clear sign they haven't forgotten us. Just give them some time.

Last edited by Biro; 03-11-2012 at 05:50 PM.
03-11-2012, 06:38 PM   #79
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I don't see so many honest to goodness haters here as I do people that are insecure with Pentax and the direction it is going....because no one has any real idea what that direction is. With Nikon, Canon, and Sony, you know their direction will be cutting edge....even Samsung is a good bet for cutting edge, since they are the most financially secure of all.
This is the third owner in the last few years, which is not a confidence builder. My personal belief is that the K5 (Great Camera!) replacement will show the future of Pentax. If it is some newfangled contraption in pink and yellow.......the game may be over for serious shooters. If it is along more conventional lines and can exceed the K5 in a few areas of improvement, they will be well on their way to restoring some lost confidence...providing they take the QC issue seriously.
Just my thoughts.....probably as valid as anyone's, and just as worthless too.......
Regards!

03-11-2012, 06:48 PM - 1 Like   #80
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

K-01 shooters think you have it rough. At least no one is arguing that the camera takes awful quality pictures. Try being a Q user. We hear it all. "Terrible picture quality from a tiny sensor", "toy camera with toy lenses", "no viewfinder - junk", etc. Website refuses to put it at the top of the home page with the other cameras.

Been playing with the K-01. It is a nice camera. It has pluses and minuses vs a K5/7. It isn't my only camera so it doesn't have to do every thing perfectly. The image quality is above the K-7. In some ways it may look better than K-5 images. Don't remember the K-5 ( have shot one but don't own one) images looking as good on the lcd.

The lcd is easier to see in bright sunlight than the Q. Not sure why. Camera has nice color images. On/off button is as easy for me to use as the other Pentax DSLRs. A fine camera.
having FUN.
thanks
barondla
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-01  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-01  Photo 
03-11-2012, 07:14 PM   #81
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
This is the third owner in the last few years, which is not a confidence builder. My personal belief is that the K5 (Great Camera!) replacement will show the future of Pentax......
That, in and of itself won't, but in combination with the Q and K-01, will certainly tell us whether they they are adopting a "something for everybody" philosophy, or they are going to cater to the "kewl" set.
03-11-2012, 08:29 PM   #82
Veteran Member

I guess no one watched the interview with Pentax Japan that was posted here. I couldn't find a transcript, but I buzzed through the video. In there, the manager of new product development says that EVF technology isn't there, and Pentax will always have reflex cameras as the OVF is critical for the photographer.

No where in there did he hint at dSLRs and "serious" cameras leaving the Pentax lineup. Personally, I'd love to have one of those frivolous 645D's in the deep red they were producing. Since it's not black, it has to be a toy, right?

03-12-2012, 01:02 AM   #83
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The Kr replacement will be in May or even June of 2012. Everything is running behind due to the horrible year in Japan and Thailand. The Q was supposed to arrive in July and made it in Sept./ Oct. and the Kr is behind as well.

The mirrorless cameras are a seperate branch of product and not replacements for the DSLR cameras. Just as the WG2 is not a replacement for the K-5. Be happy, the K mount lives and is even picking up steam.
thanks
barondla
03-12-2012, 01:09 AM   #84
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lammie200 Quote
I now that there has been lots written about a Pentax FF.
Whatch out, before you know this thread will be hijacked by Nikon fanboys. Just like all the other FF threads on PF.

QuoteOriginally posted by lammie200 Quote
However, in the shorter term, Pentax seems to be in a mode where they are squeezing every last drop from their lemons. In some sense it seems that they are in survival mode, and they need to watch their pricing closely to still have the demand they need to be able to expand. The K-5 is an updated K-7 and the K-01 uses the K-5 sensor, etc. That method of product development is economical.
Like I said before, that 'survival mode' was needed when they were under Hoya. It made perfect sense then, with all Hoyas limitation, as they weren't even interested in the imaging division. Hoya was just keeping Pentax alive until they could make a sale.

So, we still witness this survival mode now, because you just can't change a whole business strategy, production lines, develope new products, etc, etc, with the snip of a finger. It takes time. And it takes even more time to do it right. If we see Ricoh's infuence at the next big photo-event, then they worked extremely fast and efficient.

That's why I think that people who jump ship now, are jumping early.
03-12-2012, 03:06 AM   #85
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
The Kr replacement will be in May or even June of 2012. Everything is running behind due to the horrible year in Japan and Thailand. The Q was supposed to arrive in July and made it in Sept./ Oct. and the Kr is behind as well.

The mirrorless cameras are a seperate branch of product and not replacements for the DSLR cameras. Just as the WG2 is not a replacement for the K-5. Be happy, the K mount lives and is even picking up steam.
thanks
barondla
The K-01 was probably the best thing that could have happened for K mount users. I don't see why people can't see that Pentax could just as easily have used a mirrorless with a completely different mount, sold an adapter for a couple of hundred dollars extra, and all but hinted that over time they were going to ditch the k mount for this new mount. With a company the size of Pentax, that would certainly mean no more (or very few) k mount lenses.

As you say, SLR production is continuing, it is just that everything is behind schedule. Everyone else is running behind schedule with regard to new releases too.
03-12-2012, 06:52 AM   #86
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote

thanks
barondla
+1 - best comment in a long time. And from a Q and K-01 owner, too.
03-12-2012, 07:09 AM   #87
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

The K-01 has had a cakewalk here compared to the bashing my little X10 has received in the Fuji Forum at DPR. Even the Q has done better at receiving less abuse. Bashing cameras may soon become an Olympic Sport? If so, we are going to have a lot of competitors in the race!
You beat up on my camera, I'll beat up on yours......what a great sport?
Regards!
03-12-2012, 07:10 AM - 2 Likes   #88
Pentaxian

Ever hear of Goodwin's Law? Well, I hereby announce a new law, Tuco's Law, and it states:
As an online discussion thread on Pentax Forum grows longer, the statistical probability of someone mentioning or drawing a comparison to Full Frame approaches 1.

Last edited by tuco; 03-14-2012 at 10:52 AM. Reason: Updated The Law
03-12-2012, 07:12 AM   #89
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
But I don't throw a (now) six week temper tantrum because Pentax didn't make the toy I wanted this time.
Especially when they recently released exactly the toy I wanted.
03-12-2012, 07:35 AM   #90
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
Ever hear of Goodwin's Law? Well, I hereby announce a new law. Tuco's Law.
As an online discussion thread on Pentax Forum grows longer, the probability of mentioning Full Frame approaches 1.
I think you have something there. You probably change probability to inevitability though.