Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-10-2012, 12:01 PM   #1
Forum Member

K-01 haters abound :(

I am getting so tired of fellow Pentax photographers being vitriolic about the K-01, most IMHO, have never even held it!
It's almost like posting Pentax kudos or info in a Canon forum.

-- We all have noticed it has no mirror or prism viewfinder --

Just read one that said it's only value is as a Facebook snapshot camera suited for beginners.
This is another beginner camera perhaps?

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
DMC-LX5  Photo 

Last edited by WWWench; 03-10-2012 at 12:34 PM. Reason: typo
03-10-2012, 12:03 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Speaking of Facebook, does anyone follow Pentax on there? Whenever Pentax posts something everyone immediately bashes them in the comments saying the equivalent of "this is stupid, where's full frame?". It get soooo frustrating.
03-10-2012, 12:13 PM - 2 Likes   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Don't forget that the world is full of people that always want to come into your sandbox and spoil things.

These people live miserable, petty little lives and the only way they can try to get back at those who actually have some FUN is to make disparaging comments about what the FUN people are doing. Or they pretend to be intellectuals and get involved in long petty arguments with anyone who will listen.

The best defence against them is like the best defence against fungus on lenses, lots of sunlight.

Would I personally buy a K-01 if I had the money, maybe or maybe not. BUT, I do enjoy hearing from the people who have one and enjoy it or even those who find some legitimate faults with it but still work around it. I love my K-5 but there are a couple of irritating things about it. I work around them. I don't own a Canon Dx whatever it is either, but I don't mind people who do & I like to listen to their comments about their cameras as well.

If only we could put the petty people on their own island along with the politicians, the rest of the world would probably get along very well.
03-10-2012, 12:14 PM - 6 Likes   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by WWWench Quote
I am getting so tired of fellow Pentax photographers being vitriolic about the K-01, most IMHO, have never even held it!
Yup - This phenomena is well documented in a book titled " Green eggs and ham"

03-10-2012, 12:18 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ak_kiwi Quote
Brilliant!!

If I can figure out how to give you a 'like' I will!!

In fact, the other day I was out in the garage looking in some old boxes and I think I remember seeing my copy of that classic.

Out it comes.
03-10-2012, 12:20 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Alas if we moved all the petty cranks to an island we'd have a group of about eight people with whom to share.
03-10-2012, 12:22 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ak_kiwi Quote
change your UN to Sam and the world will be complete

03-10-2012, 12:22 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Alas if we moved all the petty cranks to an island we'd have a group of about eight people with whom to share.
Ahh, but what a nice group to share with!
03-10-2012, 01:45 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by WWWench Quote
It's almost like posting Pentax kudos or info in a Canon forum.

-- We all have noticed it has no mirror or prism viewfinder --

Just read one that said it's only value is as a Facebook snapshot camera suited for beginners.
This is another beginner camera perhaps?
Pentax users seem to be a prickly and close-minded bunch compared to Canikon users (we're talking cameras here). I think it's because Pentax has a small lineup compared with the Big Two, many Pentax users think only of themselves and not the market as a whole.
03-10-2012, 01:57 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
Pentax users seem to be a prickly and close-minded bunch compared to Canikon users (we're talking cameras here). I think it's because Pentax has a small lineup compared with the Big Two, many Pentax users think only of themselves and not the market as a whole.
I just don't understand why so many people are so critical of the K-01. OK, if you don't like it or want it - great, don't buy it. But why must you make 50 negative posts a day, day after day, saying the same things over and over and over?
03-10-2012, 02:21 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I just don't understand why so many people are so critical of the K-01. OK, if you don't like it or want it - great, don't buy it. But why must you make 50 negative posts a day, day after day, saying the same things over and over and over?
I'll quote you from another thread:

QuoteQuote:
In their defense many (most?) dSLR users here have waited, and waited, and waited for a FF camera - even for a K-5 replacement - while Pentax continues its frustrating, seemingly uneconomic product development plan. They wait for Pentax USA to start marketing (not realizing that P-USA has outsourced virtually EVERY business function a distributor should normally provide). Hell, they've been waiting 6 months for a K-5 replacement; better autofocus; better flash sync - FFS, better flashes; long lenses; DC motors or HSM or SDM that works; better service.

What's the big CES drop? A compact??? But wait - there's a rumor for CP+ - - - aaaaaand its the K-01. Thud. Nikon boys got their new toys. Canon, Fuji, Sony, Oly - everybody else got really cool new toys for the spring shooting season - and we got . . . wait for it . . . Mark Newson????

I'd be disappointed, too.

What they don't seem to realize is that if Pentax makes only $100 a K-01 unit this year, and they sell 100,000 units, that's $10,000,000.
Hopefully, you will be proven correct, and in a couple years time Pentax users will be more relaxed

I'm a believer that Pentax is best served by being a little different than the other brands, and the K-01 fits in with this philosophy.

Personally, I'm sticking with my K-x, but I have to admit to a little temptation by the K-01. It just seems to be a darn good value, IMHO.
03-10-2012, 02:29 PM   #12
Veteran Member

I'm drifting the thread by one post just here since I realized that I'd made 666 posts. I believe that number has a special significance not that it matters to me so this post will make it 667.
03-10-2012, 04:01 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mtansley Quote
I'm drifting the thread by one post just here since I realized that I'd made 666 posts. I believe that number has a special significance not that it matters to me so this post will make it 667.
Was post 666 devilishly hateful?
03-10-2012, 04:06 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
I'll quote you from another thread:

Hopefully, you will be proven correct, and in a couple years time Pentax users will be more relaxed

I'm a believer that Pentax is best served by being a little different than the other brands, and the K-01 fits in with this philosophy.

Personally, I'm sticking with my K-x, but I have to admit to a little temptation by the K-01. It just seems to be a darn good value, IMHO.
As I stated, I understand beng disappointed. I want my toys now just like they do. I even tried to list some of the reasons.

But I don't throw a (now) six week temper tantrum because Pentax didn't make the toy I wanted this time.

I think at least some of them don't even own Pentax any more - they're just trolls and attention whores.

If you aren't captivated right off the bat by the camera and everything you've read about it (as I am) I'd wait a month or two for the early adopters to report in. Plus, the price might come down a little bit.
03-10-2012, 04:32 PM   #15
Veteran Member

I had my camera in Fry's today looking for a case, and one of the associates came up to me and was commenting on my camera. He shot Pentax as well, and was very interested in the K-01. He liked it, and was waiting to see if they were going to carry it (I guess so he could save some coin). So, not everyone's a hater, though it does get old hearing the same old arguments.

Wait a minute....what the....did you know my K-01 doesn't have a viewfinder??!!??

Last edited by rfortson; 05-17-2012 at 02:51 PM.