Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-11-2012, 12:14 PM   #61
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mtansley Quote
Ahhh, you dare to criticise my K-5 personally? How dare you. It takes the best photos ever!!

<----- Note smiling face please!

Seriously, do you notice the lack of viewfinder to be of any major concern in any way? I guess at the moment that's my biggest (probably totally unfounded) concern.
To be truthful, I have smacked myself in the nose several times now with the K-01!

03-11-2012, 12:24 PM   #62

QuoteOriginally posted by DigiMack Quote
The K-01 even outshines the K-5 sometimes
As it should, it's a newer iteration of a very successful sensor, with a next-generation processing engine. Not a knock against the K-5, but let's hope Pentax is working to improve their components with each new release. The K-5 successor should be even better.
03-11-2012, 12:25 PM   #63
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
See? Another example of a Forum member telling a poster (and me) what he (and I) should do (don't get stressed). Stick to photography. Leave the psychology and social engineering to other Forums. (well, only partially winking. I'm sort of serious, too).
Hey, if you feel the need to defend the honor of your prized possesion to the death because some internet stranger made fun of it, that's your perogative. If someone makes fun of my k-5, I don't give it a second thought. Like the song goes, different strokes for different folks
03-11-2012, 12:43 PM   #64
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by cali92rs Quote
Hey, if you feel the need to defend the honor of your prized possesion to the death because some internet stranger made fun of it, that's your perogative. If someone makes fun of my k-5, I don't give it a second thought. Like the song goes, different strokes for different folks
Your snark is so noted.

1. Valid, informed criticism of the K-01 is just fine with me. Personal criticism because I chose it Isn't. I need the K-01 in order to use an LCD viewfinder with focus peaking since I can no longer see to use a dSLR viewfinder.
  2. Incessantly and repetitively denigrating the camera and the users of same, before even having it in hand, discourages potential buyers and reduces the potential profit Pentax can make - which they might use to develop new and better dSLR's or EVF's or OVF's
  3. Repeatedly making unfounded, snarky comments day after day after day deviates from valid criticism and becomes simply argumentative for the sake of cussedness.
You've entirely missed the point.

03-11-2012, 01:01 PM - 1 Like   #65
Veteran Member

Remember everyone... we can't hear the tone of our voices over the Internet. So it's very easy to misunderstand each other. Let's all take a deep breath, go out and shoot some pictures, and come back later to read Adam's full K-01 review. And let's keep in mind that that we're all Pentaxians.
03-11-2012, 01:23 PM   #66
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
+1 but...

QuoteOriginally posted by Biro Quote
Remember everyone... we can't hear the tone of our voices over the Internet. So it's very easy to misunderstand each other. Let's all take a deep breath, go out and shoot some pictures, and come back later to read Adam's full K-01 review. And let's keep in mind that that we're all Pentaxians.
If the OP and other's receive nasty PM's that is just not cool. If a moderator or adminstrator PM's someone asking them to tone things down, it is their perogative since it is their site after all. But if others do it that just seems lame to me.

I work a lot to keep food on the table, hence I am at a computer for a great deal of most days. If I received a nasty PM from someone that I felt I didn't provoke, I would probably stop visiting Pentax Forum. (No loss for others, I know.) I should probably visit it less anyway. My wife thinks that I am visiting Penthouse Forum.
03-11-2012, 01:30 PM   #67
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by lammie200 Quote
If I received a nasty PM from someone that I felt I didn't provoke, I would probably stop visiting Pentax Forum.
Then you would have let him win. It seems something may have happened here that we (site staff) aren't aware of. (?)
Reminder to all, inappropriate PMs can be reported to the mod team just as inappropriate posts, so there is no need to put up with them, or to quit visiting the forum to avoid them.

03-11-2012, 01:46 PM   #68
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lammie200 Quote
If the OP and other's receive nasty PM's that is just not cool. If a moderator or adminstrator PM's someone asking them to tone things down, it is their perogative since it is their site after all. But if others do it that just seems lame to me.

I work a lot to keep food on the table, hence I am at a computer for a great deal of most days. If I received a nasty PM from someone that I felt I didn't provoke, I would probably stop visiting Pentax Forum. (No loss for others, I know.) I should probably visit it less anyway. My wife thinks that I am visiting Penthouse Forum.
See my prevous post in this string re: nasty PMs and similar attacks. If I received such a message, I would report it to Adam and end that problem right there. Meanwhile, asking fellow forum members to tone it down seems like good advice to me. Would you prefer the alternative?
03-11-2012, 01:56 PM   #69
Veteran Member

Nope

QuoteOriginally posted by Biro Quote
See my prevous post in this string re: nasty PMs and similar attacks. If I received such a message, I would report it to Adam and end that problem right there. Meanwhile, asking fellow forum members to tone it down seems like good advice to me. Would you prefer the alternative?
No, I am good with it. I didn't realize that the moderators would take care of nasty PM's. That would be my first line of defense. Hasn't happened to me, btw.
03-11-2012, 02:33 PM   #70
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It's not that we "hate" the K-01 or are trolls that have no life. Quite the contrary. It's love for Pentax. The story goes back to the early 2000's (and before), when some of us could go on ebay and pick up used Pentax gear for cheap as Pentaxians were a dying breed.

In those transition years, we bought the EI-100, EI-1000 and the EI-2000 - and their HP clones - as we entered the digital age. Pentax gave us hope, when they took their beautiful MZ-S, and were going to make it into their first DSLR, the MZ-D. In the MZ-D, was a camera that used our existing K-Mount lenses. Pentax gave us a promise, and a date for SHIPPING of the MZ-D.

When it comes to promises, Pentax has been in that business for years with backward compatibility and interchangeable features. Trust, loyalty and longevity are part of being a Pentaxian.

When the MZ-D didn't happen, because of a sensor/supply issue, and was canceled, the other parts of getting a FF camera did not stop in sync. The FF lenses are continued to be produced and the original promise of a FF is implied. It was never Pentax's desire to NOT produce a FF camera, at least that is what we have been led to believe.

So when we see the promise being met, and legacy cameras being honored as in the Auto 110 -> Q, 645 -> 645D and the K-01 as the "Super Optio", we get tired of waiting for the MZ-D. We are tired of waiting. It makes it harder, and more frustrating, especially when Pentax continues to take the prototype MZ-D out, and have pictures taken with it at shows and media events.

So while the K5 and Kr are fantastic cameras, Pentaxians like myself are not going to let Pentax forget the promise they made until they tell us NO or give us a FF.

Every camera Pentax makes before the FF, is like another slap in the face for brand loyalty when Pentax almost disappeared.
03-11-2012, 02:46 PM   #71

QuoteOriginally posted by LaurenOE Quote
So while the K5 and Kr are fantastic cameras, Pentaxians like myself are not going to let Pentax forget the promise they made until they tell us NO or give us a FF.

Every camera Pentax makes before the FF, is like another slap in the face for brand loyalty when Pentax almost disappeared.
Well, in that case, the logical and reasonable thing to do is to hope that Pentax has a runaway hit, starts getting some "cool" factor, begins creating interest in their brand and making money. That is the pathway back towards Pentax becoming a major player and you guys getting the products you want. Having temper tantrums and acting as if there are hopes that products that aren't exactly what are wanted will fail is so counterproductive that it boggles the mind.

I've had my K-01 since Thursday night, and I can assure you all that it is NOT a cheap piece of cr*p. It has actually exceeded my expectations. I am thoroughly delighted with it and I haven't even explored all it has to offer. This is in no way an attempt to get those who long for nothing less than full frame to love this camera, but to at least try and look at a bigger picture and not be embarrassed by this camera. It's not junk. It's a fine camera with a very unique styling. And y'all need to be praying it sells well so that R&D can move forward on the more high-end products that you guys want.
03-11-2012, 03:01 PM   #72
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ibkc Quote
Well, in that case, the logical and reasonable thing to do is to hope that Pentax has a runaway hit, starts getting some "cool" factor, begins creating interest in their brand and making money. That is the pathway back towards Pentax becoming a major player and you guys getting the products you want. Having temper tantrums and acting as if there are hopes that products that aren't exactly what are wanted will fail is so counterproductive that it boggles the mind.

I've had my K-01 since Thursday night, and I can assure you all that it is NOT a cheap piece of cr*p. It has actually exceeded my expectations. I am thoroughly delighted with it and I haven't even explored all it has to offer. This is in no way an attempt to get those who long for nothing less than full frame to love this camera, but to at least try and look at a bigger picture and not be embarrassed by this camera. It's not junk. It's a fine camera with a very unique styling. And y'all need to be praying it sells well so that R&D can move forward on the more high-end products that you guys want.
A few things....

NOTHING Pentax makes is ever a piece of crap, sure there are QC issues, but never crap. No one is embarassed - even with ugly ducklings in the Pentax family.

It's hard to celebrate a new mouth to feed when the first born is still hungry.
03-11-2012, 03:15 PM   #73

QuoteOriginally posted by LaurenOE Quote
A few things....

NOTHING Pentax makes is ever a piece of crap, sure there are QC issues, but never crap.
I definitely agree with that! Although unlike many of you, I don't have a whole collection of Pentax equipment, I've handled quite a few Pentax cameras of various ages and they are all wonderful.

QuoteQuote:
No one is embarassed - even with ugly ducklings in the Pentax family.
Have to disagree with that one, though. There are some really awful comments about this particular camera out there, even on this exact site. "Revolting contraption," etc. That's some strong stuff.

QuoteQuote:
It's hard to celebrate a new mouth to feed when the first born is still hungry.
Y'all don't have to celebrate. Just hope that it does well enough so that Pentax/Ricoh get some cash to develop the camera you want! Heck, if Pentax comes out with a full frame DSLR, I'll be ecstatic! I am frankly sick of Canikon and I really wish Pentax, Fujifilm -- somebody could start to challenge those guys with new ideas and better technology.
03-11-2012, 03:34 PM - 1 Like   #74
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ibkc Quote
I definitely agree with that! Although unlike many of you, I don't have a whole collection of Pentax equipment, I've handled quite a few Pentax cameras of various ages and they are all wonderful.

Have to disagree with that one, though. There are some really awful comments about this particular camera out there, even on this exact site. "Revolting contraption," etc. That's some strong stuff.

Y'all don't have to celebrate. Just hope that it does well enough so that Pentax/Ricoh get some cash to develop the camera you want! Heck, if Pentax comes out with a full frame DSLR, I'll be ecstatic! I am frankly sick of Canikon and I really wish Pentax, Fujifilm -- somebody could start to challenge those guys with new ideas and better technology.
All fair comments about other comments.
03-11-2012, 03:53 PM   #75
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
Were people afraid when Pentax started selling P&S cameras?
In retrospect, we should have been.