Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-12-2012, 11:18 AM   #31
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
monochrome's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Kirkwood (St. Louis) MO
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 20,586
QuoteOriginally posted by weave2d2 Quote
It's funny how bad I want this camera, despite its several shortcomings (for my needs/wants.) I found myself wondering, after reading about the low light focusing difficulties, that perhaps I could use this great focus peeking and just shoot it as a manual focus camera. Then I'd be almost exactly where I was shooting college sports in 1993 w/ my fm2 with manual film advance, 100mm 2.8 (I now own the 70 ltd 2.4) , shooting tmax 3200. Somebody smack me.
That's pretty much how I plan to use it since I also have a dSLR. I have a "few" legacy MF lenses that are a real chore to focus as I age. The best analog focusing screens are OK with film - maybe this will "bridge" me backwards from dSLR to LX I wear a wide-brimmed hat outdoors anyway, so that's my LCD shade.

I plan to add a K5 this winter and dish off the K10D to my daughter. It's all the accessory bits that have to be replaced that has herld me back.

03-12-2012, 11:34 AM   #32
Forum Member




Join Date: Jul 2011
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 73
I feel its stupid on part of Pentax to not have an evf or a slot to fit it on on the k-01. I have tried some of the mirrorless systems in recent times such as the panasonic g2, gf1, samsung nx10, nx100, nex3, oly epl2 and the only ones I liked in this lot were the g2 and nx10 and you guessed the reason why, both had an evf which is very useful in many situations such as in very bright sunlight. But one important thing I would like to mention is that in almost all of these systems its a pain to view the scene during low light situations such as night time where you can hardly see anything at all throiugh the evf or lcd.
03-12-2012, 11:39 AM   #33
Forum Member




Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 87
QuoteOriginally posted by weave2d2 Quote
It's funny how bad I want this camera, despite its several shortcomings (for my needs/wants.) I found myself wondering, after reading about the low light focusing difficulties, that perhaps I could use this great focus peeking and just shoot it as a manual focus camera. Then I'd be almost exactly where I was shooting college sports in 1993 w/ my fm2 with manual film advance, 100mm 2.8 (I now own the 70 ltd 2.4) , shooting tmax 3200. Somebody smack me.
I was thinking along these lines as well BUT...

Surely if focus peaking could determine the proper focus, the autofocus could also, right? I've never owned an autofocus camera so I'm not sure how much I would use autofocus. I had hoped that the LCD display would be akin to focussing on a ground glass screen, but brighter and right ways around. I wonder how easy it would be to determine focus without the focus peaking method, is the screen pitched finely enough to allow good old fashioned manual focussing like we used to do on matte screens?
03-12-2012, 12:36 PM   #34
Senior Member
ibkc's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: southeastern US
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 203
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by weave2d2 Quote
It's funny how bad I want this camera, despite its several shortcomings (for my needs/wants.) I found myself wondering, after reading about the low light focusing difficulties, that perhaps I could use this great focus peeking and just shoot it as a manual focus camera. Then I'd be almost exactly where I was shooting college sports in 1993 w/ my fm2 with manual film advance, 100mm 2.8 (I now own the 70 ltd 2.4) , shooting tmax 3200. Somebody smack me.
See, I don't understand why this is all such a big deal. As I mentioned in another thread, my little old cheapie 18-55 zoom that came with my old *ist DL as its kit lens is just slow and clunky on this camera in autofocus mode, so I use it exclusively in manual, and it's great! Also, I don't notice the little kit lens, the DA 40mm XS, struggling very much in low light. I do not use this lens in manual because I have not felt I needed to.

The focus peaking in manual is a thing of beauty, anyway. I have a circa-1979 Rikenon 50mm, which is a cheap, mass-produced, nothing-special lens which actually produces beautiful bokeh, on mine right now. So much fun.

I strongly disagree with Adam's conclusion that the viewfinder is as bad as he says in full sunlight. I have poor eyesight, and I was easily able to do things like use the focus select mode, moving the area of focus around the grid, with the sun at my back, with no problem seeing what I was doing. Ah well. I suppose this is the sort of thing that comes down to the individual, and what you think is poor performance.

Anyway, I read Adam's review, and overall, it's a positive one, but the tone from folks here is that the review is a negative one.

isaac7:
QuoteQuote:
I had hoped that the LCD display would be akin to focussing on a ground glass screen, but brighter and right ways around. I wonder how easy it would be to determine focus without the focus peaking method, is the screen pitched finely enough to allow good old fashioned manual focussing like we used to do on matte screens?
isaac, you can, but it's more difficult. The focus peaking is beautiful. Seriously, you have to experience it. I am in love with it. Even though it's ever-so-digital, it feels right. I turn the focus ring, the white shows accordingly. And it's very accurate, too.

03-12-2012, 01:17 PM   #35
Veteran Member




Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: NYC
Posts: 944
thank you for that , I personally hate shooting with the iPhone and I can never see what I am doing .
but this is what most people used to do now days
03-12-2012, 01:45 PM   #36
Forum Member




Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 87
QuoteOriginally posted by ibkc Quote


isaac, you can, but it's more difficult. The focus peaking is beautiful. Seriously, you have to experience it. I am in love with it. Even though it's ever-so-digital, it feels right. I turn the focus ring, the white shows accordingly. And it's very accurate, too.

I guess I was assuming that there are situations where the camera can't determine focus on its own and hence probably would not have focus peaking available either. Has anyone tried using focus peaking when the camera couldn't figure out the focus?
03-12-2012, 02:19 PM   #37
Senior Member
ibkc's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: southeastern US
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 203
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by isaacc7 Quote
I guess I was assuming that there are situations where the camera can't determine focus on its own and hence probably would not have focus peaking available either. Has anyone tried using focus peaking when the camera couldn't figure out the focus?
Well, yes! Like I was saying, my old kit zoom from the first DSLR I owned, which happened to be a Pentax, can't lock focus in auto mode to save its blessed little life. But I switch it over to manual and turn on focus peaking, everything is smooth, easy, fast and even enjoyable -- especially for a filmie like myself who often gets impatient and frustrated with cameras in autofocus mode, even when they are allegedly working as they should.
03-12-2012, 02:25 PM   #38
Pentaxian
JinDesu's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: New York City
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 5,626
How easy is it to turn on focus peaking? How does it work with quick-shift; does it work with quick-shift at all?

03-12-2012, 02:31 PM   #39
Forum Member




Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 87
QuoteOriginally posted by ibkc Quote
Well, yes! Like I was saying, my old kit zoom from the first DSLR I owned, which happened to be a Pentax, can't lock focus in auto mode to save its blessed little life. But I switch it over to manual and turn on focus peaking, everything is smooth, easy, fast and even enjoyable -- especially for a filmie like myself who often gets impatient and frustrated with cameras in autofocus mode, even when they are allegedly working as they should.
Interesting... it does beg the question though, if the system can tell when something is in focus, why can't it do it on its own? Good to hear...
03-12-2012, 02:31 PM   #40
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: north Georgia mountains
Posts: 14
Thanks to Adam's superbly detailed review, I can tell that this is not a camera I'd invest in. Critical focus in all lighting conditions is essential. The lack of a proper viewfinder with full protection from ambient light relegates this camera to the point-and-shoot class IMHO. What benefit do you derive from being able to use all your high-dollar K-mount glass, if you cannot be assured of sharp focus each and every time? I shoot a lot of close-up work, using a K20D in manual focus mode most of the time, and get consistent results no matter where the light source is relative to the back of the camera. I also cannot understand the obsession manufacturers have with including video capability in still cameras. If I want to shoot video, I'll use a dedicated video camera. Don't make me pay for spurious video technology in my still camera -- give me a hooded electronic viewfinder instead!
03-12-2012, 02:33 PM   #41
Veteran Member




Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: NYC
Posts: 944
I am sure some one posted it already but this is fantastic a little rangefinder like
03-12-2012, 02:41 PM   #42
Forum Member




Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 87
QuoteOriginally posted by Owltown Quote
Thanks to Adam's superbly detailed review, I can tell that this is not a camera I'd invest in. Critical focus in all lighting conditions is essential. The lack of a proper viewfinder with full protection from ambient light relegates this camera to the point-and-shoot class IMHO. What benefit do you derive from being able to use all your high-dollar K-mount glass, if you cannot be assured of sharp focus each and every time? I shoot a lot of close-up work, using a K20D in manual focus mode most of the time, and get consistent results no matter where the light source is relative to the back of the camera. I also cannot understand the obsession manufacturers have with including video capability in still cameras. If I want to shoot video, I'll use a dedicated video camera. Don't make me pay for spurious video technology in my still camera -- give me a hooded electronic viewfinder instead!

The obvious reason why they put video in there is because people expect it. The days of cameras that are only stills are pretty much over. Plus, it doesn't seem to be much of a technological hurdle to include it. Whoever did it first probably realized they could, so why not? It isn't clear that you are actually paying more for the video functions. The technology is already in the camera. Now if they started to put in video specific features like xlr mic ports, uncompressed video via HDMI, special sensors to allow prolonged shooting, etc, then you probably would have to pay more. Too many people feel threatened by what the technology in their hands can do, what's one more feature as long as it doesn't get in the way of how you want to use it?
03-12-2012, 02:42 PM   #43
Veteran Member




Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: NYC
Posts: 944
QuoteOriginally posted by Owltown Quote
Thanks to Adam's superbly detailed review, I can tell that this is not a camera I'd invest in. Critical focus in all lighting conditions is essential. The lack of a proper viewfinder with full protection from ambient light relegates this camera to the point-and-shoot class IMHO. What benefit do you derive from being able to use all your high-dollar K-mount glass, if you cannot be assured of sharp focus each and every time? I shoot a lot of close-up work, using a K20D in manual focus mode most of the time, and get consistent results no matter where the light source is relative to the back of the camera. I also cannot understand the obsession manufacturers have with including video capability in still cameras. If I want to shoot video, I'll use a dedicated video camera. Don't make me pay for spurious video technology in my still camera -- give me a hooded electronic viewfinder instead!
I think that for macro / close up photography the LCD plus the focus peaking is ideal much much much better then k20D not to mention the better sensor then the K20D . in fact I think that macro photographers should run to get this camera , with the amount of Pentax lenses available from all times .
03-12-2012, 02:43 PM   #44
Banned




Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Millstone,NJ
Posts: 6,491
QuoteOriginally posted by Owltown Quote
Thanks to Adam's superbly detailed review, I can tell that this is not a camera I'd invest in. Critical focus in all lighting conditions is essential. The lack of a proper viewfinder with full protection from ambient light relegates this camera to the point-and-shoot class IMHO. What benefit do you derive from being able to use all your high-dollar K-mount glass, if you cannot be assured of sharp focus each and every time? I shoot a lot of close-up work, using a K20D in manual focus mode most of the time, and get consistent results no matter where the light source is relative to the back of the camera. I also cannot understand the obsession manufacturers have with including video capability in still cameras. If I want to shoot video, I'll use a dedicated video camera. Don't make me pay for spurious video technology in my still camera -- give me a hooded electronic viewfinder instead!
If Canon did not include video mode in the 5D MKII it would have lost at least 50% of it's sales. Most video cameras come with tiny sensors like P&S cameras and don't take DSLR lenses. You will never see a camera with EVF and no video mode.
03-12-2012, 02:44 PM   #45
Forum Member




Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 87
QuoteOriginally posted by redpigeons Quote
K-01 Focus Peaking - Ned's Photo Journal.mp4 - YouTube I am sure some one posted it already but this is fantastic a little rangefinder like
Ooh, that is nice. I can see how focus peaking could be fun to use. Kind of reminds me of the old zebra patterns on video cameras but much more useful.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
k-01, k01, mirrorless, pentax k-01, sunlight
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Not Work-Safe Sunlight... JFN Post Your Photos! 10 02-16-2012 10:45 AM
Macro Sunlight through the Petals eaglem Post Your Photos! 10 02-06-2011 04:31 PM
Photography in Sunlight kharenitin Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 9 07-22-2010 07:30 PM
Weird sunlight reflection Xcessiv Pentax DSLR Discussion 10 05-04-2010 08:36 AM
Older MF lenses with full 11 focus points working zntgrg Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 2 12-06-2007 10:02 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:19 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top