Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-12-2012, 03:27 PM   #46

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote
How easy is it to turn on focus peaking? How does it work with quick-shift; does it work with quick-shift at all?
Forgive my ignorance; I don't know what quick-shift is. But you can turn it on via a menu selection and leave it on (as I do) and you can also assign it to the programmable button on the top of the camera.

03-12-2012, 03:55 PM   #47
Pentaxian

Quick shift is the ability for some Pentax lenses to allow manual focusing of the lens while in AF mode - for example, you keep the lens in AF mode and manually focus quickly from one range to another, leaving the AF to do the fine focusing at the press of the shutter button. I was thinking that if the K-01 allows focus peaking in AF mode, under conditions where the AF isn't cutting it, a user could easily use quick shift with the focus peaking and not lose time.
03-12-2012, 04:12 PM - 1 Like   #48
Forum Member

As to my long-bill-ballcap suggestion. Some money maker should do one for K-01 with a forum logo, of course.

My tip:
Amazon has a 5 inch long-bill for $10 in colors, white, red, dark blue and khaki
Get Khaki - Red drew hummingbirds Grrrr, White drew Bees and Wasps Grrrr, Blue is way too hot for desert wear.
Take a P n S light wrist strap and loop it thru the cap back, attach a film drying clip to the small end.
Clip it to your shirt collar and you won't go off the mountain chasing your cap when a wind burst occurs.
03-12-2012, 04:36 PM   #49
Site Supporter

Points well made about the video functions. If they do not add cost or interfere with still operation, plus assist in marketing the camera, they are a good thing. If one doesn't want to use them, nothing is lost. Regarding accurate focusing: My eye has done a fine job focusing on the target part of the subject, manually, with SLR cameras, for decades. Without actually using the K-01, I cannot see any practical gain from an artificial aid like focus peaking -- unless one was working in extremely low-light situations.

Last edited by Owltown; 03-12-2012 at 05:35 PM. Reason: (to correct spelling)
03-12-2012, 04:39 PM   #50
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Owltown Quote
Points well made about the video functions. If they do not add cost or interfere with still operation, plus assist in marketing the camera, they are a good thing. If one doesn't want to use them, nothing is lost. Regarding accurate focusing: My eye has done a fine job focusing on the target part of the subject, manually, with SLR cameras, for decades. Without actually using the K-01, I cannot see any practical gain from an artificial aid like focus peaking -- unless one was working in extrmnely low-light situations.
Your eye may have done great, but my eyes aren't so good. Whenever I shoot on a tripod, I go into LCD mode and zoom in onto what I want focused, and even then I have a tough time focusing.

Disclaimer - this is on my k-x

So focus peaking is all sorts of magics to me.
03-12-2012, 05:24 PM - 2 Likes   #51
Lens Buying Addict

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Some kind of hat is a necessary wardrobe requirement for me in full sun. A ballcap interferes with the top of the camera when I use a dSLR (the way I wear one, anyway), so I have settled on a Tilley Hat for most outdoor wear. It was originall made for sailing so the loops can be configured to hold it on in a gale, the brim doesn't strike the flash bump and it should shade the LCD nicely. Clearly a geeky fashion accessory suitable for a Pentax shooter. People just look - they don't ask silly questions.