Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-11-2012, 12:46 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Working with the K-01 in full sunlight

I just spent a good hour or so snapping away outdoors in full sunlight, down here in Georgia.

I wouldn't say that this is an optimal way to work, but I also wouldn't say that it was awful or that it slowed me down. Again, it was not any different from using my iPhone in similar conditions. I switched focusing modes and did other things with speed and accuracy, including using the focus select mode, without any problem.

I am still going to keep the Kaiser digiShield on my shopping list for situations where there is a lot of glare, such as at the beach, but today, I had no serious issue.

If anyone has any specific questions, feel free to ask.

03-11-2012, 12:52 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Thank you, thank you, thank you.
03-11-2012, 01:31 PM   #3
Pentaxian

I'm not surprised you didn't have much in the way of issues shooting with a K-01 in bright sunlight. Although I don't have a K-01, I do have a Canon G 12 and I've been very happy using the LV monitor in bright sunlight. Modern camera's LV monitor seem to handle bright sun quite well.

One question I do have for you though. My understanding is that the K-01 only has a LV monitor, not an eye level finder. If this is the case do you miss the eye finder, particularly when using longer reach telephoto lenses...say the 50-200 or the 55-300 at the far end of their reach ?

I find difficulty locating a far subject at far telephoto (around 140mm or so) range with my G12.
03-11-2012, 01:33 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Anyone know if is something like foldable shades that mount on camera LCD's?

03-11-2012, 01:35 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JohnBee Quote
You mean the one he linked? Or are you referring to something else?
03-11-2012, 01:41 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
I'm not surprised you didn't have much in the way of issues shooting with a K-01 in bright sunlight. Although I don't have a K-01, I do have a Canon G 12 and I've been very happy using the LV monitor in bright sunlight. Modern camera's LV monitor seem to handle bright sun quite well.

One question I do have for you though. My understanding is that the K-01 only has a LV monitor, not an eye level finder. If this is the case do you miss the eye finder, particularly when using longer reach telephoto lenses...say the 50-200 or the 55-300 at the far end of their reach ?

I find difficulty locating a far subject at far telephoto (around 140mm or so) range with my G12.
I'll do the DA55~300, A35~105 and the K200/2.5 tomorrow (when mine gets here) if I can get away at lunch time. Otherwise Tuesday..
03-11-2012, 01:43 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by JohnBee Quote
like this? Delkin Devices eFilm Digital SLR Pro Pop-Up Shade DND60-P B&H

03-11-2012, 01:55 PM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote

One question I do have for you though. My understanding is that the K-01 only has a LV monitor, not an eye level finder. If this is the case
... it is the case, indeed, just to clear that up. It's been a big point of controversy, in fact.

QuoteQuote:
do you miss the eye finder, particularly when using longer reach telephoto lenses...say the 50-200 or the 55-300 at the far end of their reach ?

I do not own a K-mount telephoto, and when I still had my old Minolta SRT-101, I never used the telephoto that came with it (it belonged to my father-in-law.) I'm not a big telephoto user - not at this time. I have an interest in birds and I can see myself getting into bird photography at some point in the future, perhaps, but it hasn't happened yet.

I do own a short telephoto/portrait lens for my Pentacon six TL medium format film camera. It's a Carl Zeiss Jena 2.8/180 Sonnar and boy, that thing is a brick. Even with an eye-level pentaprism viewfinder installed on that camera, I cannot hold it up to my eyes for more than a few seconds. I have to keep it supported on a monopod.

So I guess that's the answer to this one: if/when I wish to use long lenses with this camera, if I find I cannot support them, a monopod will come into play.
03-11-2012, 02:47 PM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I'll do the DA55~300, A35~105 and the K200/2.5 tomorrow (when mine gets here) if I can get away at lunch time. Otherwise Tuesday..
That would be great. Thanks for doing that. It will be interesting to see how things work out.
03-11-2012, 04:50 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ibkc Quote
I just spent a good hour or so snapping away outdoors in full sunlight, down here in Georgia.
Where in Georgia? That's home for me, though I haven't lived there in about 30 years.
03-11-2012, 05:03 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote
You mean the one he linked? Or are you referring to something else?
QuoteOriginally posted by dcmsox2004 Quote
LOL I completely missed the link.

To answer the questions, yes those would be what I was thinking of. Though I think I saw someone make their own out of bristle board once. - guess it could work for limited use.
03-11-2012, 05:31 PM   #12

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rfortson Quote
Where in Georgia? That's home for me, though I haven't lived there in about 30 years.
I'm a native myself. I live in Marietta -- Old Marietta, near Kennesaw Mountain, if you are at all familiar with that area.
03-11-2012, 08:48 PM   #13

Good to hear!
ibkc, once you have used the Kaiser digiShield with the K-01, I am sure a post here on the forums with your thoughts would be much appreciated!
It looks like the LCD would be completely obscured when it is not in use. I wonder if that would be annoying and how easy it is to put it on/take it off...
03-11-2012, 08:52 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ibkc Quote
I'm a native myself. I live in Marietta -- Old Marietta, near Kennesaw Mountain, if you are at all familiar with that area.
So which way do I turn when I get to the Big Chicken?

I'm a native of Atlanta (and yes, I mean inside the city limits Atlanta).
03-11-2012, 08:58 PM   #15

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ErrantDabbler Quote
Good to hear!
ibkc, once you have used the Kaiser digiShield with the K-01, I am sure a post here on the forums with your thoughts would be much appreciated!
It looks like the LCD would be completely obscured when it is not in use. I wonder if that would be annoying and how easy it is to put it on/take it off...
Well, the whole reason I am interested in that shade and not others, is because it connects to the tripod thread instead of by an adhesive, and so by all accounts is very easy to remove when not needed. And it also adds a tripod thread of its own, so you can use a tripod while the shade is on the camera. It's much more expensive than the Delkin devices, but it seems to offer a lot more flexibility.

It may be a while before I get it. I really had no trouble today. I can see having issues when I'm using the camera in a place where there is a lot of glare, like near a large body of water, so the Kaiser digiShield is in my shopping list for the next couple of months when we've got some disposable income to burn.