Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-11-2012, 03:02 PM   #1
Forum Member

K-01 in 10min

Hello, I just started playing with the 01 and some lenses. Here is what I noticed, I didn't time anything and this is by no means a professional examination so that being said... This is as straight forward and simple as possible.

Lenses I have listed in order of speed. Center AF point setting.
40mm xs
15mm
18-55mm wr
Manual
Canon s95
35mm macro

IQ is amazing, feels pretty good in my hands, movie mode is a huge leap forward.

Huge concern!!!! The 35mm macro lens is really struggling. Once you are working within a certain focus length it can focus reasonably well but it really hunts. It spins and spins all the way in, then all the way out. Is anyone else having an issue with the 35mm ltd macro? I don't think I can use the 01 and 35mm unless they fix the focus issue

03-11-2012, 03:19 PM   #2
Veteran Member

The 35 macro AF is unusable for us, too. Workaround is manual focus with peaking enabled.
03-11-2012, 03:28 PM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
Exactly what I started playing around with. Still find it unacceptable that one should have to do that with a new camera and lens. The peaking is ok for now but it should really have faster AF. The 18-55mm WR is also very slow. Can a firmware update fix this?
03-11-2012, 03:33 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Firmware updates should help.

I'm not an optics expert but it's possible certain lenses just won't work well with contrast-detection AF. I'm actually ok with this. The K-01 is the only mirrorless camera on the market that supports an existing mount. Like anything in life there's no free lunch. That's why I think this cam is best paired with a regular DSLR.

03-11-2012, 04:12 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by pascal Quote
Exactly what I started playing around with. Still find it unacceptable that one should have to do that with a new camera and lens. The peaking is ok for now but it should really have faster AF. The 18-55mm WR is also very slow. Can a firmware update fix this?
QuoteOriginally posted by krebsy97 Quote

I'm not an optics expert but it's possible certain lenses just won't work well with contrast-detection AF. I'm actually ok with this. The K-01 is the only mirrorless camera on the market that supports an existing mount. Like anything in life there's no free lunch. That's why I think this cam is best paired with a regular DSLR.
The DA L 18-55 is very slow in CDAF on the K-x as well. But every lens is slow with CDAF on the K-x.
03-11-2012, 04:23 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I just tested the 18-55 in our incandescent lit room. It's a little fussy when set to longer focal lengths but it's miles better than the 17-70.

Last edited by krebsy75; 03-11-2012 at 04:34 PM.
03-11-2012, 04:50 PM   #7
Veteran Member

The 35mm Macro does that on my K20D. It will hunt throughout its entire range several times in certain macro situation.
03-11-2012, 04:53 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by krebsy97 Quote

This is the case with the MFt cameras from Olympus. You can get an adapter to use 4/3 lenses on the MFT cameras with autofocus, but some of them just don't work, or are unworkably slow from what I hear. Sounds like it's turning out to be the same with the K-01. I guess we'll see a few more new lenses optimized for CDAF. The DA40mm XS is very nice and plenty quick with the AF.

03-11-2012, 05:55 PM   #9
Site Supporter

A macro lens going its full focus range to find focus when doing close focusing is not uncommon.
Even my F100/2.8 does that on my K5 (and K7 before that).
That is why some lenses used to have a focus limiter to limit the lens from moving thru the full focus range. (the F100 does have that)
In a way quick shift is supposed to be an 'improvement' over focus limiters.