Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-12-2012, 06:09 AM   #16
Banned

Great review Adam, it makes it faster to see the features and settings than going through the user manual.

03-12-2012, 07:01 AM   #17
Forum Member

So am I reading right that the fastest frame rate when shooting RAW will be 1 fps? If true I find that more troubling than any other aspect. Thanks for the hard work, Adam, I'm thinking you burned the candle at both ends the last few days?
03-12-2012, 07:50 AM   #18
ogl
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by weave2d2 Quote
So am I reading right that the fastest frame rate when shooting RAW will be 1 fps? If true I find that more troubling than any other aspect. Thanks for the hard work, Adam, I'm thinking you burned the candle at both ends the last few days?
Yes...Rather strange and funny - 1 fps DNG mode with unlimited buffer. Maybe not bad...BUT....Even limited 10-15 DNG buffer with speed 3 fps is much better IMO.
03-12-2012, 08:10 AM   #19
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
I am glad you guys like the review so much!

Yes, you can change the mic volume while recording. I've added the missing details and will put in a screenshot request for the focus peaking. The 40mm takes 27mm UV filters.

For the record, nobody sponsored this review- not Pentax, not B&H. It's really quite unbiased, but it's not a comparative review. You can expect more along those lines in the near future!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

03-12-2012, 08:11 AM   #20
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
Yup that's right.

Adam

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

03-12-2012, 08:15 AM   #21

Photos: Gallery
Thanks for the comprehensive and honest review, Adam.

I'm contrasting yours with the new video put out by that Steve Huff guy over the weekend where he tells us that HIS comprehensive review of this camera is coming in the next few days. His intro/teaser video consisted of him telling us, "Boy, does this thing take GREAT photos! But it just looks stupid!" Deep thoughts, man.
03-12-2012, 08:30 AM   #22
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
+1 I was so glad to see that video demonstrate the "burst" mode for RAW. That and the misplaced green button keep me from considering the camera, as much as I'd love that yellow body.
03-12-2012, 08:48 AM   #23
Site Supporter

Thank you, Adam... the review was a great read and provided at lot of invaluable information for many of us. And, after finishing the piece, I must reluctantly conclude that the K-01 isn't for me. But that's okay: I still have the K-5 and the older K200D, both of which work fine. I look forward to other cameras in the K-01 line... perhaps they will have built-in EVFs and tilting rear LCDs. I still can see the K-01 being a great camera for many different types of photographers, depending on their personal priorities and pursuits.

03-12-2012, 08:49 AM   #24
Inactive Account

Thanks for the quick addendum.

"Finally, the O-GPS1 unit's astrotracer feature is not yet fully supported. Pentax says that an upcoming firmware update will address this."
Considering such firmwareupgrades (maybe even some more of the collected suggestions), annoucing new gear on a weekly basis..... I think it's an understatement to pretend 'Pentax is back'. They are better than ever
03-12-2012, 08:58 AM   #25
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Yup that's right.
I hope this is something that can be fixed in the next Firmware update. Since I would like to have the option to take RAW also in Hi-speed mode with 6 fps (even when the burst would be short).
03-12-2012, 09:00 AM   #26
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
I hope this is something that can be fixed in the next Firmware update. Since I would like to have the option to take RAW also in Hi-speed mode with 6 fps (even when the burst would be short).
TBH I think that this is more along the lines of what the next intro-level DSLR will offer

Adam

03-12-2012, 09:03 AM   #27
Pentaxian

Really nice review overall, Adam.
03-12-2012, 09:10 AM   #28

Thank you for your quick reply, Adam!!
03-12-2012, 09:15 AM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by WWWench Quote
Long bill ballcaps are very handy when K-01'n in the desert.
Such an obvious and simple idea! Why didn't I think of that!
03-12-2012, 09:16 AM   #30
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
TBH I think that this is more along the lines of what the next intro-level DSLR will offer

Well I know it is entry level, but then again these things are just limitations from firmware, since the hardware is producing all the info needed to spit out RAW images. I hope that Pentax realizes that it is better to put some extra's into these camera's to make them attractive to a lot of people.

But then again, even with just 1 fps and crappy AF I will present some nice sportsimages very soon