Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
03-14-2012, 12:00 PM   #76
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
If you apply a filter such as B&W, yes, you will see it right away. You can toggle DOF preview using the red button (remapped) but by default, the lens isn't stopped down except when the camera is focusing.
Adam: Curious, but I will figure it our myself, too. There have been numerous threads showing the Green Button metering is less reliable than using the DOF preview button around the shutter release on the dSLR bodies. Is the remapped Red Button technique a true stop down of a manual lnes or a "flick and open" (the suspected cause of exposure misses at smaller apertures) like the Green Button?

03-19-2012, 09:57 AM   #77
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
The red button can't be remapped to do the same thing as the green button, so all you'd be able to do is stop the lens down to see the DOF. I don't think the exposure is affected.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
03-21-2012, 10:50 AM   #78
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Well then. So the Grren Button Preview mapping includes exposure like the green button on a dSLR? Say in M Mode or AV or Tv? (That's what it looks like to me - the LCD shows the stopped down image in Red Button Preview and stopped down and metered in Green Button Preview.).

Last edited by monochrome; 03-21-2012 at 09:09 PM.
03-21-2012, 09:00 PM   #79
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
Yes, it's identical (only in M mode). When metering, the lens gets stopped down anyway.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
06-12-2012, 04:41 PM   #80

Many photos are bluish

Dear all,

I just bought the camera a few days before a journey. I had limited time for test photos. But I found out that in normal daylight surroundings the mode "Surf and Snow" produced the most relistic colours and most natural results very close to reality. All other settings were left in factory default settings.

After return from the journey I found that many photos appeared to have a blue tint. In particular in shadows, white and grey surfaces became blue and purple. The results are similar to the picture made from the footpaths in the cactus garden in the gallery of the review. Mostly I used the 40 mm XS, but I had the same effect with another lens.

I attach a few examples.

What is the reason for this? Any suggestions for recommended settings are very welcome.

Thank you very much

Peter
Attached Images

06-14-2012, 07:26 PM   #81
Inactive Account

Peter try playing a bit with White Balance on an image editor. Also a bit with light and contrast. Did you shoot raw or jpeg?
06-15-2012, 02:30 AM   #82

Dear Luiz,

thank you for your reply.

My pictures are made in the jpeg-format. It is a very long story to adjust hundreds of photos later with an image editor, although not all are so blue-cold. Btw, the Sylkipix Software is far too complicated for me. I am now trying with CyberLink 2011.

Therefore I would prefer some recommendations from the experts to adjust the camera itself. Unfortunatily the first short recommendation in the text of the generally fine review does not match with the picture attached to the relevant text.

The example-picture from the cactus garden in the review shows that this is a general problem.

Any other suggestions?

Best regards

Peter

06-15-2012, 01:31 PM   #83
Inactive Account

Peter,

For image processing there are lot software options and plenty of good threads on this forum talking about it. I sugest you search for a bit get more info. Using a software that fits you can really help you get more out of your images. One thing I'll recommend for now: shoot raw. It gives you more room for editing you images.
As for te recommendation you said did't match the screen did you mean for Image personalization? If so, turn on the camera, press info, select Personalized Image, press ok, then press info again over the profile you wish to change. Then change the setting you want and press ok. Oh yeah this only matters if you're shooting jpeg.
06-15-2012, 02:13 PM   #84

Luiz,

sorry for the misunderstanding. I referred in my previous post to chapter 6 (Recommended Settings) of the in depth review of the K-01 and the sentence: "In the past, we have found that increasing sharpness and contrast by one notch and saturation by two seems in the "vibrant" profile to work well." But the embedded picture in the chapter shows different settings for the "radiant" profile.

This advice confused me and I would be happy for other prooven suggestions for best results with the camera.

Thank you for some help from anybody.

Peter
06-17-2012, 12:18 PM   #85
Inactive Account

Peter, since I shoot with raw I don't bother much with this in camera settings. Things like sharpness and contrast I edit using imaging software (in my casa Lightroom). Try playing a bit with these iage personalization settings and finding one that suits your tastes.
06-06-2013, 09:58 PM   #86

Factory Lenses Mediocre!!!

The factory lenses are at best very mediocre, very weak!!! I am being nice, in that they are nearly horrible!!!

To be fair Nikon and Canon kit lenses suck as well!!! I need some decent lenses from Pentax!!!
06-07-2013, 10:54 AM   #87
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Math-Geek Quote
The factory lenses are at best very mediocre, very weak!!! I am being nice, in that they are nearly horrible!!!

To be fair Nikon and Canon kit lenses suck as well!!! I need some decent lenses from Pentax!!!
I presume you got yours with the zooms? The kit DA40XS is quite decent IMO.
06-07-2013, 11:12 AM   #88
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Math-Geek Quote
The factory lenses are at best very mediocre, very weak!!! I am being nice, in that they are nearly horrible!!! To be fair Nikon and Canon kit lenses suck as well!!! I need some decent lenses from Pentax!!!
The 18-55mm is not great, but it is better than what other brands offer. And it is very cheap.
The 40mm XS is also very inexpensive, but has great quality. It is a good lens and very compact.
Pentax has many decent lenses and even very good lenses, but they will cost much more than the 18-55mm. Try buying the 31mm ltd or the 50-135mm.
06-07-2013, 02:46 PM   #89

Yes, I got the dual zoom lens kit. I love the look and feel of the camera and to be fair the lenses feel an look pretty decent.

I have owned some decent 35mm film equipment in the past and more recently I have owned a Leica V-Lux 1 (made by Panasonic) super zoom and now own a Leica/Pana D-Lux 6. These are small sensor cameras (1/1.7) but they were/are blessed with outstanding glass! The little D-Lux 6 really stands out with a range of 24mm-90mm f1.4-f2.8! Many consumers step up to a DSLR or Micro 4/3s kit and are probably really happy with the results compared to their crappy point and shoot or cell phone cameras. The fact is that they may have been far better served by purchasing a Panasonic LX-7 (D-Lux 6 twin) for $370.00. Why might you ask? Because good lenses are expensive...

I have been spoiled by sharp, fast and bright lenses, so the kit lenses are a disappointment. I suspected this when I bought the camera so it was not a surprise. As well, the kit as a whole is still a fantastic deal! I took a lot of pics today and had some that turned out very nicely. A little work in Lightroom 4 can work miracles.

My intent was not to bash the camera nor the lenses. The K-01 body or kit is a great deal but to get the most out of it may require a lot of money in lenses. I have digressed and this is way of topic!

The attached pics were taken with the Leica/Pana cameras.
Attached Images