Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
03-11-2012, 11:16 PM - 1 Like   #1
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax K-01 Review Posted

Our In-Depth Review of the Pentax K-01 mirrorless camera has just been posted:

Pentax K-01 Review - Introduction - PentaxForums.com

In the review, we test the camera's autofocus, evaluate its handling, showcase its features, and compare it to the K-r and K-5. We also provide numerous sample photos, test photos, and sample videos. Enjoy! I think we're the first to post a K-01 review on the net

See also our K-01 lens guide: Pentax K-01 Lens Guide - Pentax Camera News & Rumors - PentaxForums.com

If you want to post your own review of the K-01, you may do so here: Pentax K-01 - Interchangeable Lens Mirrorless Cameras - Pentax Camera Database and Reviews

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
03-12-2012, 12:06 AM   #2
hcc
Pentaxian

Adam
Great work. On the behalf of PF members, thank you for this thorough review with in-depth analyses. All this in a short timeframe. Well done.

Last edited by hcc; 03-12-2012 at 01:50 AM.
03-12-2012, 12:44 AM   #3
rjm
Forum Member

Construction and Handling section doesn't talk about whether it is metal or plastic in the opening paragraph, or anywhere I can see. Just "The K-01 feels solidly built and has some heft to it." and then off you go about tiny details about the sensor and shutter. Seems a glaring omission...

Overall a comprehensive review, but some pussy-footing around leaves me wondering if you are looking over your shoulder at your sponsors (Pentax?) when writing the conclusions.

The main competition for this camera is a hypothetical "K-s", the next iteration of the entry level Pentax dSLR which we imagine would have the same enhancements to the sensor and processing engine. Same features, same price, but a huge difference in usage owing to the viewfinder or lack therefor.

I wanted you to talk more about how it is to actually use the camera /sans viewfinder/. This is a very different way of taking photos, and I think it deserves more discussion in your review.

Last edited by rjm; 03-12-2012 at 01:08 AM.
03-12-2012, 12:54 AM   #4

QuoteOriginally posted by rjm Quote
Construction and Handling section doesn't talk about whether it is metal or plastic
I've read elsewhere that it is an aluminum body with rubberized coating.

03-12-2012, 01:17 AM   #5
Forum Member

Well written and objective..
As a manual mode'r I desperately have to find a 'green button' solution, easily solved in firmware, a nose pusher? hehe

Long bill ballcaps are very handy when K-01'n in the desert.

Last edited by WWWench; 03-12-2012 at 07:32 PM. Reason: typo
03-12-2012, 02:24 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Great work. But many images look squashed up on Tapatalk on my iPhone. Site issues?
03-12-2012, 02:49 AM   #7
Banned

I browsed true it. I hope mine comes in this week and will read it again with my camera in my hands. I also will test then if faster cards will improve on performance.

Nice work done!

It is sad to read that there is no HI-speed continuous shooting in RAW.

03-12-2012, 02:54 AM   #8
ogl
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Our In-Depth Review of the Pentax K-01 has just been posted:

Pentax K-01 Review - Introduction - PentaxForums.com
Thanks a lot. Rather mixed emotions...Waiting for new DSLR. And K-02.
03-12-2012, 03:04 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Thanks Adam for this. I was waiting the whole of yesterday to read the review. But I am glad to read it today too.
Thanks for your hard work. This will make me decide whether to get a K-01 or not.

I have read the review and I also have mixed emotions.
I guess my main problem is the low light performance.
I have a k-m, and admittedly it is no where near the low light performance of the K-01.
But I shoot alot of indoors because of my kid, it will be nice to get something that really performs well in low light.
03-12-2012, 03:11 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
Thanks a lot. Rather mixed emotions...Waiting for new DSLR. And K-02.
Agreed, thanks Adam for the very thorough review. Any thoughts on Raw headroom with 12bit vs 14bit on the K-5?
03-12-2012, 04:21 AM   #11
ogl
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by jeffshaddix Quote
Agreed, thanks Adam for the very thorough review. Any thoughts on Raw headroom with 12bit vs 14bit on the K-5?
As travel camera (with video) with lenses from ultra-wide till standart and short-tele is good choice. For example, DA15, 21, 40, 70 set.
Or for old M42 or K-mount manual lenses is not bad too.

But, not as replacement any Pentax DSLR of last 2-3 years.

Last edited by ogl; 03-12-2012 at 05:02 AM.
03-12-2012, 04:23 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Thanks for the hard work, Adam.
03-12-2012, 04:35 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nice review...request

Adam
Very nice,detailed and balanced. If this appeared on any other forum, no one would guess it came froma pentaxian.

How does the AF compare to other EVF and ILC cameras?
03-12-2012, 04:59 AM   #14

Great work, Sir!
Thank you for organizing a great review in such a short time.
I love the whole review, but I want to mention the parts that I love most:
  1. I like you point out the differences between two DA40mm lenses
  2. Missing or Removed Features
  3. Recommended Settings
  4. Variable-EV AF Speed Test
  5. Outdoor AF Speed Test
  6. Indoor Low-Light AF Accuracy Test
  7. Shake Reduction in video mode

The part I think could be improved:
  1. Focus Peaking and Zooming and Manual Focus: Could you please choose other text target with dark color so it's easier to see the white edges? Maybe it's just me who have difficulty seeing it.
  2. a typo?at this link
    The section
    QuoteQuote:
    Microphone

The K-01 has a built-in stereo microphone and supports external (i.e. hotshoe-mounted) microphones as well. The microphone volume can be controlled via the info screen or movie mode meny

Questions:
  1. Can you adjust volume during video recording? via Info menu? or you have to dig into setup menu?
  2. Is it possible to put UV lense on DA40XS? If yes, what size of UV will fit?
03-12-2012, 05:05 AM   #15
Inactive Account

Not an 'issue', but I think there are some more missing features according to the manual:

Compared to k-r:
- 'Bulb' can't be activated via IR-remote
- O-GPS1 not fully supported (Astrotracer doesn't work)

Compared to k-5:
- no wired remote [microphone-jack could be used to plug in a remote after some minor changes in firmware]
- 12Bit-dng [some samples would be nice to compare it to 14.bit in critical situations; maybe it doesn't make any difference anyway]