Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-12-2012, 09:39 AM   #31
Inactive Account

Adam, First let me thank you for the review. It was very well made, specially the AF section. I just wish that there was a bit more info about focus peak (like how much did it change you keep ratio on a MF lens?).

But let me ask you a question. My sister-in-law is looking to buy a new camera, upgrading from a P&S. She's got twin daughters age 3, and she wants better images and more control of the camera. She's also interested in improving her general photo skills by taking a photography course, but it's only available for people with cameras with a more complete manual functions (shutter, aperture, iso), which inclines her to got for a DSLR. But the camera size intimidates her a bit, so I was thinking that the K-01 would be a great match for her needs. Great IQ, more control possibilities, great video, smaller size and a clear upgrade path if she chooses to in the future. VF is a non issue as she is used to composing on a LCD (actually using a VF is weird for her).

But before I make a full recommendation, let me ask, is the AF on the K-01 good enough to keep up with taking pictures of my nieces? At their age staying still is not really their thing.

03-12-2012, 09:54 AM   #32
Veteran Member

Adam, nice job on the review. Were you able to test the 18-55, 55-200 and/or any other budget lenses with the K-01? These lenses are what most K-01 users will be starting out with. My concerns are growing with how this cam deals with longer focal lengths and zooms.
03-12-2012, 10:39 AM   #33

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Image quality on par with K-5!
Can't wait to get it.
And, I will as soon as my german dealer can mail it to me :-)
Regards
Jens
03-12-2012, 10:45 AM   #34
Pentaxian

Well done.
Two things that I reacted upon: The body is plastic, and the shutter closes before each shot. That's a pity.

03-12-2012, 10:47 AM   #35

Simple errors

I get really distracted when people do not check their reviews for simple typographical errors or misused words. I am sure the camera does NOT have a 'Forrest' mode unless it also has a 'Gump' feature? Likewise I suspect it re-assesses or reacquires focus and does not 'reassure it'? So too complains should read complaints, it's and its are confused one with the other and...

I don't set out to be a grammar Nazi but a simple read-through by a proof checker, who sees what the author wrote, whereas an author 'sees' what was intended, might not be a bad idea?

As for the camera, even as a 40 year Pentax user, with over 45 'K' 'F' 'FA' and 'DA' lenses, I fear that its focus issues and lack of any form of viewfinder would have me off to look at another maker's offerings :-(
03-12-2012, 11:42 AM   #36
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by luizpaulo Quote
Adam, First let me thank you for the review. It was very well made, specially the AF section. I just wish that there was a bit more info about focus peak (like how much did it change you keep ratio on a MF lens?).

But let me ask you a question. My sister-in-law is looking to buy a new camera, upgrading from a P&S. She's got twin daughters age 3, and she wants better images and more control of the camera. She's also interested in improving her general photo skills by taking a photography course, but it's only available for people with cameras with a more complete manual functions (shutter, aperture, iso), which inclines her to got for a DSLR. But the camera size intimidates her a bit, so I was thinking that the K-01 would be a great match for her needs. Great IQ, more control possibilities, great video, smaller size and a clear upgrade path if she chooses to in the future. VF is a non issue as she is used to composing on a LCD (actually using a VF is weird for her).

But before I make a full recommendation, let me ask, is the AF on the K-01 good enough to keep up with taking pictures of my nieces? At their age staying still is not really their thing.
The K-01 offers the same manual controls as the K-r, and the AF is certainly adequate. I'd say go for it, but as always, it's also a question of her own preference. Out of the box, the K-01 is even more beginner-friendly than the K-r and it will take better pictures.
03-12-2012, 11:54 AM   #37
Banned

Photos: Albums
Good review.

The advantage mentioned towards the end, of being able to use inexpensive legacy manual lenses if on a budget, is true about any other MILC too (adapters are inexpensive). Also, the advantage vs K-r, of improved LiveView operation, is probably something that will make its way into the DSLR line as well.

I think that the LiveView operation could have used a bit more discussion. For example, is the flicker of the magnified LV image gone now? Does the LCD show the actual exposure or is the displayed image unchanged when exposure settings change?

03-12-2012, 11:56 AM   #38
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Gimbal Quote
Well done.
Two things that I reacted upon: The body is plastic, .
There was some early (incorrect) speculation on dpr that the body is plastic. It is not. The body is aluminum covered with a finely-ribbed rubber material

QuoteOriginally posted by Gimbal Quote
and the shutter closes before each shot. That's a pity.
From Adam's Review [emphasis mine]:

"When the camera is turned off, the sensor is covered by the focal plane shutter like on any Pentax DSLR. As soon as you power up the camera the shutter opens to facilitate the live view image on the monitor. A mirrorless camera is therefore more prone to sensor dust than a DSLR used with the optical viewfinder.

When the shutter button is pressed fully, the shutter closes and then opens for image capture for the exposure duration set, for example 1/125th of a second. The shutter {then?} closes and then reopens to allow the live view image to be presented on the monitor. There is thus quite some shutter activity for each exposure and the camera's operation is not as quiet as we had expected or would have liked."

So the shutter does two close/open cycles per shot
Resting POState is OPEN to permit LCD projection of image
  1. Shutter closes upon release of shutter
  2. Shutter opens for image capture END OF FIRST CYCLE
  3. Shutter closes again at selected shutter interval
  4. Shutter opens to permit LCD projection of image for next shot. END OF SECOND CYCLE
How do other cameras implement LiveView in a MILC?
If this shutter is the same one in K-5, rated to 100,000 actuations, is it rated to 50,000 actuations x2 cycles in the K-01?

Last edited by monochrome; 03-12-2012 at 12:08 PM.
03-12-2012, 12:15 PM   #39
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
The K-01 offers the same manual controls as the K-r, and the AF is certainly adequate. I'd say go for it, but as always, it's also a question of her own preference. Out of the box, the K-01 is even more beginner-friendly than the K-r and it will take better pictures.
Thanks for the help! Since I have a K-r myself I'm happy to hear it has the same manual controls as it, which means she'll be able to take the photography lessons she wants. I can also teach her how to set the settings she wants. Nice to hear it's more beginner-friendly than the K-r. With that and adequate AF it seals the deal.

She likes the pictures of my K-r, so if it's even better it certainly has her preference.

Now the question remains if I should by one as my second body? My 50 SMC-A f1.2 is begging for the focus peak... The smaller size and 40XS seem very nice as well.
03-12-2012, 01:38 PM   #40
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Excellent review, supports a reasoned decision

Thank you for a superbly detailed review! Based on your comments and videos, I can tell that this is not a camera I'd invest in. Critical focus in all lighting conditions is essential. The lack of a proper viewfinder with full protection from ambient light relegates this camera to the point-and-shoot class IMHO. What benefit do you derive from being able to use all your high-dollar K-mount glass, if you cannot be assured of sharp focus each and every time? I shoot a lot of close-up work, using a K20D in manual focus mode most of the time, and get consistent results no matter where the light source is relative to the back of the camera. I also cannot understand the obsession manufacturers have with including video capability in still cameras. If I want to shoot video, I'll use a dedicated video camera. Don't make me pay for spurious video technology in my still camera -- give me a hooded electronic viewfinder instead!
03-12-2012, 01:44 PM   #41
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The shutter is open for viewing, then closes and reopens for the exposure and the live image.... Sounds like a Contaflex....!
03-12-2012, 01:53 PM   #42
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The review gave me lots to think about as a backup plan for the K-5. For a small and lightweight option that takes K-mount lenses (only need to carry one set of lenses) it's right up there on body purchases. Bravo Pentax and bravo Adam.
03-12-2012, 01:55 PM   #43
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
Thanks for all the comments and correction. I've made several fixes

Don't forget that Ole did about half this review also- thanks to him, we've got all the screenshots and product photos. I did most of the writing and the AF tests.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
03-12-2012, 02:38 PM   #44
Banned

QuoteQuote:
I also cannot understand the obsession manufacturers have with including video capability in still cameras. If I want to shoot video, I'll use a dedicated video camera. Don't make me pay for spurious video technology in my still camera -- give me a hooded electronic viewfinder instead!
If Canon did not include video mode in the 5D MKII it would have lost at least 50% of it's sales. Most video cameras come with tiny sensors like P&S cameras and don't take DSLR lenses. You will never see a camera with EVF and no video mode.
03-12-2012, 04:45 PM   #45
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Adam:

I am solidly impressed with the technical quality of your review. it is among the best reviews that I have ever seen.....