Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
03-13-2012, 06:10 AM   #61
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by luizpaulo Quote
Adam, First let me thank you for the review. It was very well made, specially the AF section. I just wish that there was a bit more info about focus peak (like how much did it change you keep ratio on a MF lens?).

But let me ask you a question. My sister-in-law is looking to buy a new camera, upgrading from a P&S. She's got twin daughters age 3, and she wants better images and more control of the camera. She's also interested in improving her general photo skills by taking a photography course, but it's only available for people with cameras with a more complete manual functions (shutter, aperture, iso), which inclines her to got for a DSLR. But the camera size intimidates her a bit, so I was thinking that the K-01 would be a great match for her needs. Great IQ, more control possibilities, great video, smaller size and a clear upgrade path if she chooses to in the future. VF is a non issue as she is used to composing on a LCD (actually using a VF is weird for her).

But before I make a full recommendation, let me ask, is the AF on the K-01 good enough to keep up with taking pictures of my nieces? At their age staying still is not really their thing.
You may also want to check out micro four thirds for your sister-in-law. The reason I suggest this, is that I have found it frustrating to keep up with kids on a slower CDAF system. The more recent m4/3 bodies are very snappy and accurate, even in low light and, in my opinion, a bit more suited for snapshots and candids.

03-13-2012, 06:23 AM   #62
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by twitch Quote
I very much doubt it could record RAW video, even 5DIII & D800's can't do that. Probably more realistic is whether it can deliver uncompressed video through it's HDMI out port which apparently the D800 can. Again I doubt it, but who knows, maybe Prime M is a wonder chip.
Thanks for the reply, twitch.

That's all I wanted to know !

Cheers.

JP
03-13-2012, 06:34 AM - 1 Like   #63
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thank you for the even-handed in-depth review of the camera. I'm going to hold my fire until I have actually used the camera some more.

I intend to use it mostly MF with K series lenses for careful shots of landscapes and still subjects, and social photography - better than snapshots but documenting events and gatherings. I hope the K-01 doesn't make my subjects as self-conscious as a honking dSLR, grip and flash on a bracket does.

I am approcahing this camera deliberately and making notes as I form impressions. In 14 hours, 7 of which were sleeping, I have spent more time reading the manual than holding the camera. Going outside right now to expose my first image. I'll post in detail a bit later.
03-13-2012, 11:05 AM   #64
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by spartan Quote
Adam What matters abotu CDAF is how the 01 compares to other mirrorless and P&S cameras with CDAF. is it possible to compare? NIck
This wasn't a comparative review, but we plan on doing one later on. One thing that you must realize is that the K-01's AF speed is proportional to the throw of each lens. It wouldn't be as much of a problem if there were dedicated lenses for the camera, but considering that it can use regular DSLR lenses designed for PDAF, obviously the AF will suffer.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
03-13-2012, 11:20 AM   #65
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by No Maam Quote
One point of criticism: The DNG of the K-01 is not in focus at page 13 in " K-01/K-5 Sensor Comparison". So I can't compare the sharpness between the two cameras. Sorry, I'm a pixel peeper and eager to see which one is the sharpest. Just because I have already seen a few DNGs of the K-01 (franks K-01 vs K-5) and it seems to me, that the K-01 produce slightly sharper images than the K-5.
I didn't shoot those sample photos, but I believe that spot AF was used for both, so I guess the K-01 must have been off by a hair. I wish they had been shot in MF mode, but time didn't allow for a re-shoot (perhaps we can re-visit this later).

The sharpness should really be identical in RAW, though jpeg is another story. I agree that the JPEGs do tend to look better, but to be quite honest you probably won't ever see a difference in the final product.

Adam

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
03-13-2012, 11:23 AM   #66
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
This wasn't a comparative review, but we plan on doing one later on. One thing that you must realize is that the K-01's AF speed is proportional to the throw of each lens. It wouldn't be as much of a problem if there were dedicated lenses for the camera, but considering that it can use regular DSLR lenses designed for PDAF, obviously the AF will suffer.
Right. The DA 40 (and I assume the 40 XS) have really short focus throws, making them fast focusing on any camera. A lens like the DA *55 or DA *50-135 will take a lot longer in general to get to correct focus, because they have so much longer focus throws.

Certainly at least half of focus speed is the lens throw length -- that is why most of the FA limiteds are slower with regard to focusing than their comparitive DA limiteds.
03-13-2012, 11:24 AM   #67
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by powP0Wpow Quote
How was shutter lag? On both AF/MF? Love to hear opinions.
We didn't measure the lag, but it was just as small as on Pentax DSLRs.

Adam

03-13-2012, 06:12 PM   #68
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
One thing that you must realize is that the K-01's AF speed is proportional to the throw of each lens. It wouldn't be as much of a problem if there were dedicated lenses for the camera, but considering that it can use regular DSLR lenses designed for PDAF, obviously the AF will suffer.
Even more reason for a compact XS 3x-4x zoom that will only fit the K-01
03-13-2012, 06:21 PM   #69
Veteran Member

Adam, did you get to try the K-01 with SDM/HSM lenses?
03-13-2012, 08:30 PM   #70
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by vinceloc Quote
Adam, did you get to try the K-01 with SDM/HSM lenses?
Yup, the 18-135mm. The motor operated noticeably slower than on a DSLR, so the only advantage left would be the quietness (which is a biggie for video).

Adam

03-13-2012, 09:32 PM   #71
Forum Member

It is interesting to read the review and comments. Alas, for me in this part of the world (Sabah, Malaysian) it will probably take months after its launch in the US for the K01 to show up in shops in Sabah. By the time I get my hand on one, probably the launch of the K02 will have been announced.....
03-13-2012, 09:50 PM   #72
ogl
Banned

As for me, K-01 has some pros and some cons:

CONS:
1. Autofocus - it is almost 2 times better than CDAF of K-5 at a low light (but see point 5).
But it is very close at good light. In fact, there is no serious difference between K-01 and K-5 with focusing in LV on daytime.
And of course, the autofocus is slower than PDAF.

There is a tracking focus, but it is tracking - like P&S camera's mode.

2. The green button position.
3. Memory card cover - ambiguous impression. Sometimes it can be accidentally opened when shooting.
Rather unreliable. Although it may last a long time, it looks flimsy.
4. Ridiculous speed in DNG mode - 1 fps. Although the buffer is unlimited.
5. AF accuracy in low light is weak.

PROS:
1. The camera is MUCH faster than the K-5 in terms of interface and inner work with photos.
2. Video.
3. Focus picking - can attract the interest of the enthusiasts of manual lenses.
4. The sensor and the quality of the photo - it is at the level of K-5

The camera is positioned in a purely amateur sector IMHO - for who have not approached Q or who come from P&S cameras.
Or as a second camera to DSLR.

It could be interested for video fans and manual lenses fans.

I am personally not interested in either video or manual lenses.

But as a traveler's kit with 15, 21, 40 and 70 - good choice.

The real price for K-01 should be not above USD600 in 6 months later.

Last edited by ogl; 03-14-2012 at 01:12 AM.
03-13-2012, 11:43 PM   #73
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ptxbillyk Quote
It is interesting to read the review and comments. Alas, for me in this part of the world (Sabah, Malaysian) it will probably take months after its launch in the US for the K01 to show up in shops in Sabah. By the time I get my hand on one, probably the launch of the K02 will have been announced.....
Just get it in Singapore.
Its priced better than US too.
S$986 with DA40XS.
Those folks here who don't want the DA40XS sell it for S$300, so its only S$786 for the K-01 body only.
03-14-2012, 07:10 AM   #74

still don't sure how the LV works. If I use some build in filter (e.g. watercolor), will the LV show the effect directly? or it will apply it after I click the shutter? How about the DOF? Will it show directly in the screen before I take the picture?
03-14-2012, 09:11 AM   #75
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
If you apply a filter such as B&W, yes, you will see it right away. You can toggle DOF preview using the red button (remapped) but by default, the lens isn't stopped down except when the camera is focusing.

Adam