Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
03-12-2012, 06:20 PM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
a few quick (i hope) questions on the K-01 from a Pentax and DSLR newb

Hey all. I am a potential Pentax user considering the K-01 and the 15mm limited. I have been browsing the forum here (great resource, thanks)... I just have a few quick questions and any feedback would be greatly appreciated!
  • AF adjustment - I have read some posts where people discuss fine adjustments to the AF for specific lenses... is this just a PDAF thing and I should expect the manual/snap focus ring of the 15ltd to be accurate on K-01? [I am a DSLR newb ]
  • New to DNGs... should be the case that Lightroom supports immediately?
  • I noted in the manual that lens correction can be applied (assume this is only for JPEGs).... is this only certain lenses? From the forum posts I could find, it does not appear that Lightroom will automatically correct (and not sure it is even desired on the 15mm, just more curious for any other lenses).
I have a m4/3 kit that I have been learning on for a year and I have been looking at possibly grabbing a FF or APS-C for landscapes, etc. It seems like the K-01 may split the difference a bit... a little smaller than the K5, but a best-in-class APS-C sensor. Oh, and I kind of like the ugly duckling factor.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

03-12-2012, 06:23 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by krugorg Quote
Hey all. I am a potential Pentax user considering the K-01 and the 15mm limited. I have been browsing the forum here (great resource, thanks)... I just have a few quick questions and any feedback would be greatly appreciated!
  • AF adjustment - I have read some posts where people discuss fine adjustments to the AF for specific lenses... is this just a PDAF thing and I should expect the manual/snap focus ring of the 15ltd to be accurate on K-01? [I am a DSLR newb ]
  • New to DNGs... should be the case that Lightroom supports immediately?
  • I noted in the manual that lens correction can be applied (assume this is only for JPEGs).... is this only certain lenses? From the forum posts I could find, it does not appear that Lightroom will automatically correct (and not sure it is even desired on the 15mm, just more curious for any other lenses).
I have a m4/3 kit that I have been learning on for a year and I have been looking at possibly grabbing a FF or APS-C for landscapes, etc. It seems like the K-01 may split the difference a bit... a little smaller than the K5, but a best-in-class APS-C sensor. Oh, and I kind of like the ugly duckling factor.

Thanks in advance for any advice!
No need to worry about AF adjustment with CDAF.
DNGs are Adobe's RAW format. It would be very strange if Lightroom didn't support them.
Lens correction will only work with DA, and D FA lenses. That includes the XS kit lens. The older F and FA lenses are not supported.
03-12-2012, 06:24 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by krugorg Quote
AF adjustment - I have read some posts where people discuss fine adjustments to the AF for specific lenses... is this just a PDAF thing and I should expect the manual/snap focus ring of the 15ltd to be accurate on K-01? [I am a DSLR newb ]
PDAF only, yup

Lightroom should support the DNGs as they are universal.

Lens correction is available in-camera for all DA, DFA and FA limited lenes.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
03-12-2012, 06:26 PM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks, Adam and Boriscleto!! Was someone looking at the other person's response there as they typed....? Suspiciously similar! =D

Just to confirm, the lens correction is only on jpegs?

03-12-2012, 06:33 PM - 1 Like   #5
Inactive Account

Lightroom suports DNG just fine. It's the format I set my K-r to shoot and it works just fine. As they said above DNG is Adobe's prposed format and it's also open so it's supported by Lightroom and many other programs. You can also do lens correction on Lightroom for any sort of lens

Last edited by luizpaulo; 03-13-2012 at 06:03 PM.
03-12-2012, 06:45 PM   #6
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
Lens correction will only work with DA, and D FA lenses. That includes the XS kit lens. The older F and FA lenses are not supported.
This is correct, for the most part. However, the FA 31, FA 43, and FA 77 have all been included in the set of corrected lenses.
03-12-2012, 06:52 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Aegon Quote
This is correct, for the most part. However, the FA 31, FA 43, and FA 77 have all been included in the set of corrected lenses.
A smart decision!

03-13-2012, 06:22 AM   #8
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks for all of the replies!