Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-12-2012, 08:51 PM   #16
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
In any case I think one clear conclusion can be made: that while the K-01's AF is fine for the typical user, it's worse than we had hoped for and still needs to see significant improvement, especially in terms of the ability to lock focus accurately and consistently.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
03-12-2012, 08:55 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I was expecting quirks with this cam. After all, it really, as Adam put it, a pioneering product. It just seems to me that Pentax may have rushed this a little.

Regardless, this cam should work pretty damn well with an 18-55.

Last edited by krebsy75; 03-13-2012 at 03:19 AM.
03-12-2012, 08:56 PM - 1 Like   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
In any case I think one clear conclusion can be made: that while the K-01's AF is fine for the typical user, it's worse than we had hoped for and still needs to see significant improvement, especially in terms of the ability to lock focus accurately and consistently.
I'm not even sure about that. Typical users sometimes shoot indoors with slow zooms.
03-12-2012, 09:29 PM - 1 Like   #19
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
I'm not even sure about that. Typical users sometimes shoot indoors with slow zooms.
Yeah. I had always believed that this camera was made to use the limited lenses, but it would be different if it only worked well indoors with the limited lenses. I've been a big cheerleader for this camera but it looks like there maybe some issues. Autofocus wasn't going to be one of the reasons why I would buy the camera, but it would be a little silly to not have it up to snuff, especially when it's over $700... I'm keeping my fingers crossed that this focussing issue can be improved over the next several months, that's when I had planned on buying it

03-12-2012, 09:48 PM - 1 Like   #20

Photos: Gallery
You perform these tests so you don't get an unpleasant surprise when you are shooting "for real". It's all part of knowing your equipment.
Shoot "for real" but not "for serious" and you will get an idea of how the camera works under real-world conditions without getting any nasty surprises.

I'm a little shocked that this is an unusual concept; I call it "messing around" or "playing". It's how I get to know any new camera I buy.
03-12-2012, 09:55 PM - 1 Like   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
This fits my experiences w/ the new camera too. Even w/ the new 40XS lens mounted, sometimes it just won't lock focus even under bright daylight on a small target (a dragonfly) w/ busy but pretty far away background (bushes). I had to manually focus on the target sometimes after some AF attempts.
03-12-2012, 10:02 PM - 1 Like   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ibkc Quote
Shoot "for real" but not "for serious" and you will get an idea of how the camera works under real-world conditions without getting any nasty surprises.

I'm a little shocked that this is an unusual concept; I call it "messing around" or "playing". It's how I get to know any new camera I buy.
The OP was "testing" his camera by shooting in his living room. That's testing in a real-world condition.

03-12-2012, 10:03 PM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by isaacc7 Quote
Yeah. I had always believed that this camera was made to use the limited lenses, but it would be different if it only worked well indoors with the limited lenses. I've been a big cheerleader for this camera but it looks like there maybe some issues. Autofocus wasn't going to be one of the reasons why I would buy the camera, but it would be a little silly to not have it up to snuff, especially when it's over $700... I'm keeping my fingers crossed that this focussing issue can be improved over the next several months, that's when I had planned on buying it
I agree. I hope a firmware update can significantly improve the AF.
03-12-2012, 10:12 PM - 1 Like   #24

The OP was "testing" his camera by shooting in his living room. That's testing in a real-world condition.
It's also quite limited. I got my camera and took pictures of everything, using all the different settings, until I got tired. The next day, I went out and did some semi-serious shooting, but since it was a new camera, I didn't expect to be producing great art. Again, I went through various settings. Later on, I experimented with bracketing -- hand-held, mind you, which I then made into an HDR image using third party software. (I'm SUCH a rebel.)

This is what I call getting to know the camera, but then, I think photography is fun.
03-12-2012, 10:35 PM   #25
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by frank Quote
This fits my experiences w/ the new camera too. Even w/ the new 40XS lens mounted, sometimes it just won't lock focus even under bright daylight on a small target (a dragonfly) w/ busy but pretty far away background (bushes). I had to manually focus on the target sometimes after some AF attempts.
Actually from what I found about CDAF on my G3, it depends on the amount/strength of contrast on the AF target wrt the CDAF area (ie. small little AF point box).
So on the G3 for example, Panasonic was pretty smart and starts off the camera with a large CDAF point by default.
This larger 'box', means more chance of something within it having contrast. Change this box into a smaller one, and the chance of it being pointed at part of the object w/o any contrast becomes much higher.

So for example :
1. Point at subject's forehead.
> Large CDAF box - It will include his hair and eye area which contrasts with the flesh colored forehead, so CDAF works pretty well.
> Small CDAF box - It will only include the flesh colored forehead and nothing else of significant contrast, and the AF will struggle.

I would think the CDAF for K-01 is the same, but I don't think the AF box size can be changed.
03-12-2012, 10:47 PM   #26
ogl
Banned

From what I've read, the K-01 has focus issues with longish lenses and macro lenses. Is the performance comparable to the K-5 with the 18-55?
By the way, any mirrorless camera has problems with long lenses.
03-12-2012, 11:15 PM   #27

It's a habit with me when I use my LX-5. I point the AF zone at what I want to focus (I just use a single point - keep it simple), press down halfway, make sure I get a focus lock, then recompose and take my picture. Doesn't everyone do this? It's not 100% reliable, but that's what chimping is for - I can always try again. I don't worry about speed. If you're trying to take good pictures, speed is the enemy. I just try to keep working towards the picture that might be there - the keeper if I'm lucky. Are 9 out of 10 crap? Sure. That's part of the process.

So I have a question for Adam. Does the K-01 allow you to just use a single focus point?
QuoteOriginally posted by pinholecam Quote
> Large CDAF box - It will include his hair and eye area which contrasts with the flesh colored forehead, so CDAF works pretty well.
> Small CDAF box - It will only include the flesh colored forehead and nothing else of significant contrast, and the AF will struggle.
03-13-2012, 12:18 AM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pinholecam Quote
Actually from what I found about CDAF on my G3, it depends on the amount/strength of contrast on the AF target wrt the CDAF area (ie. small little AF point box).
So on the G3 for example, Panasonic was pretty smart and starts off the camera with a large CDAF point by default.
This larger 'box', means more chance of something within it having contrast. Change this box into a smaller one, and the chance of it being pointed at part of the object w/o any contrast becomes much higher.

So for example :
1. Point at subject's forehead.

I would think the CDAF for K-01 is the same, but I don't think the AF box size can be changed.
Actually you can change AF box size on K-01 too. But somehow under certain condition it won't lock focus easily, even I feel the main subject stands out quite clear from the background. I'm sure K-5 can nail the focus under such condition... Hope Pentax can fix this problem by firmware upgrading..
03-13-2012, 01:33 AM   #29
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by frank Quote
Actually you can change AF box size on K-01 too. But somehow under certain condition it won't lock focus easily, even I feel the main subject stands out quite clear from the background. I'm sure K-5 can nail the focus under such condition... Hope Pentax can fix this problem by firmware upgrading..
Hmm... thats a bummer...
03-13-2012, 01:35 AM   #30
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mervis Quote
It's a habit with me when I use my LX-5. I point the AF zone at what I want to focus (I just use a single point - keep it simple), press down halfway, make sure I get a focus lock, then recompose and take my picture. Doesn't everyone do this? It's not 100% reliable, but that's what chimping is for - I can always try again. I don't worry about speed. If you're trying to take good pictures, speed is the enemy. I just try to keep working towards the picture that might be there - the keeper if I'm lucky. Are 9 out of 10 crap? Sure. That's part of the process.

So I have a question for Adam. Does the K-01 allow you to just use a single focus point?
What I mean is the size of the AF point. Not the position.
If there is nothing of significant contrast then CDAF does not work.