Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-13-2012, 07:11 AM - 1 Like   #46

Well, there you go, Frank! Great shot! See? Pentax was thinking of you when they offered focus-peaking.

Pingflood: Fanboy is a pretty ugly term. Would appreciate you not applying it to someone who's only trying to offer positive general advice; that is: go out and shoot; enjoy your camera the way it's meant to be enjoyed, don't stress it out with meaningless tests. ibkc's advice would apply to any camera brand. Doesn't make him a fanboy. He didn't 'shout' anyone down. He was engaging in a discussion. Which is the whole point of this forum, is it not?

Also, he wasn't the one who was 'bitching', so you kind of contradicted yourself there.

03-13-2012, 07:19 AM   #47
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I actually wasn't performing a test per se. Using the K-01 for snapshots in our home with an 18-55mm is something my wife would enjoy doing from time to time. All we did was point each camera at different objects in the room. Completely unscientific, but realistic in terms of how the target user will operate this cam.

Ideally we would use our recently purchased 17-70mm, but that proved unusable.

And to reiterate, we have about 250 shots with this cam using several lenses in a variety of lighting conditions. With the DA 40mm XS, its performance is completely acceptable. With our DA* 55mm it's performance seemed acceptable as well although we haven't shot much with it. The other lenses in our bag (55-300, 35 Macro, 17-70, 18-55) all have unacceptable focus issues.

QuoteOriginally posted by mervis Quote
Well, there you go, Frank! Great shot! See? Pentax was thinking of you when they offered focus-peaking.

Pingflood: Fanboy is a pretty ugly term. Would appreciate you not applying it to someone who's only trying to offer positive general advice; that is: go out and shoot; enjoy your camera the way it's meant to be enjoyed, don't stress it out with meaningless tests. ibkc's advice would apply to any camera brand. Doesn't make him a fanboy. He didn't 'shout' anyone down. He was engaging in a discussion. Which is the whole point of this forum, is it not?

Also, he wasn't the one who was 'bitching', so you kind of contradicted yourself there.
03-13-2012, 07:22 AM   #48
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote
I disagree with this. The k-5 didn't have the greatest CDAF, because it has the PDAF to fall back on. None of the previous DSLRs of Pentax had great CDAF (my k-x is notoriously horrible).

I would expect it to be at least as GOOD as the k-5 - if everything else was salvaged from the K-5, the k-r, etc.
You do? The shutterspeed and the viewfinder are worse then the K5. Why would the CDAF be better or just as good then?

Why do people expect the same results from a camera that is only 1/3 of the price of the K5 when it was released? It's like expecting the new Fiat Panda to have cruise control, because other more luxurious cars have it too.
03-13-2012, 07:37 AM   #49
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Pentax wouldn't release a camera with substandard focusing ...............
Yes, they would, and have previously. Actually that was a huge issue with the Kx or Kr (I don't remember which) and somewhat with the K5.. That and the K5 stain issue that their "reams of testers " didn't catch, were really hot topics here for a while.

I don't mean to pick on Pentax here as most companies now use the consumers as QC, rather than doing it in-house.

Last edited by Parallax; 03-13-2012 at 07:54 AM.
03-13-2012, 07:57 AM   #50
Veteran Member

I was saying that the "CaNikon" guys are good at bitching, in other words they actually like to discuss issues with the cameras instead of just telling people they're doing something wrong if they find one. Hell of a demanding crowd, unlike quite a lot of Pentax users who seem willing to forgive just about anything.

As for offering positive advice, go read the rest of his posts, starting with "Alert the media" which was a good example of positive general advice. He's just building up a strawman (someone doing "not real world testing") and trying to tear it down.

The threadstarter found an issue that he is bringing up. Why be so rude as to dismiss it as "not real world" instead of acknowledging that hey, maybe he has a valid point?

Reminds me of when I had a '97 Firebird with an unbalanced driveshaft that caused major vibration at 100mph+, and the dealer tried to refuse replacing it since I wasn't supposed to drive it over the speed limit anyway.
03-13-2012, 08:02 AM   #51
Veteran Member

Thanks mervis

I wish K5 and Panasonic G3 also have focus peaking ...
03-13-2012, 08:03 AM   #52
Veteran Member

Doesn't really sound the camera for me. I'd prefer to wait until "kind of works" becomes "just works TM", particularly with regard to focusing and build quality, which is more likely to happen with a K-02 if there is one. Two of my most used lenses are both macros and if there is a problem on this camera with the long throw of macro lenses then best to stay away. There's also the cost factor. Where I live, the K-01 has debuted for 599 body-only or 679 with a lens. The body-only price is only 100 bucks less than a new K-5 and either price is a lot more than the Nex5N and m4/3 pack. The sites I've looked at have placed the K-01 in the "compact system camera" segment so it's against items like the E-P3, the Panny GH2 or GX1 and the Nex5N that it will be judged, and not against APS-C more generally. Price is too high, imho. Sigh.

03-13-2012, 08:13 AM   #53

QuoteOriginally posted by mecrox Quote
particularly with regard to focusing and build quality
What is the problem with build quality, mecrox?

QuoteOriginally posted by pingflood Quote
in other words they actually like to discuss issues with the cameras instead of just telling people they're doing something wrong if they find one
We're discussing issues, too. Just not in the way you approve, it seems.
03-13-2012, 08:21 AM   #54
Veteran Member

Original Poster
The K-01's build quality is terrific for the price.
03-13-2012, 08:32 AM   #55
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mecrox Quote
particularly with regard to focusing and build quality,
What is the problem with build quality, mecrox?
I was wondering the same thing. I haven't read a single thing about build quality that wasn't positive.
03-13-2012, 08:37 AM   #56
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
I was wondering the same thing. I haven't read a single thing about build quality that wasn't positive.
He could be referring to the SD card door - which was the only thing that I've heard bad about the build quality.
03-13-2012, 08:37 AM   #57
Veteran Member

I've held and used the K-01 for a few shots, and the build quality is above excellent. It's Pentax most solid feeling camera up untill now.
03-13-2012, 08:38 AM   #58
Veteran Member

Original Poster
The double-door design is a little fussy but seems to be made well.

QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote
He could be referring to the SD card door - which was the only thing that I've heard bad about the build quality.
03-13-2012, 08:55 AM   #59
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Gee.....this is all shocking to me......a low priced camera that doesn't focus like a D800? Looks like Pentax screwed us again?

You have your problems, I have mine......my little X10 has a problem with Orbs about once in every 2-3K shots....and over in the Fuji Forum people are jumping off of bridges. I'll just keep on shooting, and if you're smart, you will too! Heck, I'm not even all that smart, and I figured that out!

Regards!
03-13-2012, 08:56 AM   #60
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
I was thinking of the flap over the door but also how durable the build is. That doesn't mean it's bad in any way but probably not ideal for me as I prefer something a bit rugged. The resilience of the build quality and the possibility of loose or weak latches won't become generally apparent until after a few months' of use by a lot of folks so I should have toned my comment down. Apologies. Anyway, I know that if I went into the local dealership I would no doubt admire the k-01 and quite like it but I would still come away with a new K-5 because at its current price here the K-5 with its superb build quality is stunning value.