Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 22 Likes Search this Thread
03-13-2012, 08:59 AM   #61
Veteran Member

Original Poster
It's possible that the rubber door will wear over time and not remain secure to the camera. Pentax elected to go with form over function here, unfortunately.

QuoteOriginally posted by mecrox Quote
I was thinking of the flap over the door but also how durable the build is. That doesn't mean it's bad in any way but probably not ideal for me as I prefer something a bit rugged. The resilience of the build quality and the possibility of loose or weak latches won't become generally apparent until after a few months' of use by a lot of folks so I should have toned my comment down. Apologies. Anyway, I know that if I went into the local dealership I would no doubt admire the k-01 and quite like it but I would still come away with a new K-5 because at its current price here the K-5 with its superb build quality is stunning value.

03-13-2012, 09:24 AM   #62
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
By the way, any mirrorless camera has problems with long lenses.
Hmm, I never knew that, but I guess I should have!

That said, other MILCs have 200mm lenses, yet the K-01 seems to be struggling even with the kit at 55mm.
03-13-2012, 09:28 AM   #63
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
So in your eyes, the PDAF of a K100D should perform just as well as that of the K5? Of course not, they don't have to be the same. And so the CDAF of a K-01 doesn't have to be the same as the CDAF of the higher end model.
Are you purposely being obtuse and argumentative, or do you genuinely not understand a) the competitive market and b) how technology progresses?
03-13-2012, 09:30 AM   #64
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
Yes, they would, and have previously. Actually that was a huge issue with the Kx or Kr (I don't remember which) and somewhat with the K5.. That and the K5 stain issue that their "reams of testers " didn't catch, were really hot topics here for a while.

I don't mean to pick on Pentax here as most companies now use the consumers as QC, rather than doing it in-house.
Yeah, it was the K-r. Something related to Pentax's new AF module.

03-13-2012, 09:36 AM   #65
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
That said, other MILCs have 200mm lenses, yet the K-01 seems to be struggling even with the kit at 55mm.
Remember that at 55mm, the kit is only f5.6. That isn't much light for it to work with, especially indoors.
03-13-2012, 09:41 AM   #66
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
Hmm, I never knew that, but I guess I should have!

I wonder. For a short while I had panasonic 45-200 and handheld it was no problem at 200 (crop 2x). That is, subject static and not too not decent light. But as I like olympus better and though shorter also lighter, I acquiered 45-150. Very easy, nice results at 150mm. But: static subjects or slight movement.
But of course m43 is no good. .
I wonder about k-01. No need to hurry. Keep up the good trying all and everything out.
Mind you, longer tele always needs support, or not?
03-13-2012, 09:43 AM   #67
Veteran Member

Original Poster
This is true but it struggles with the 17-70 as well which is constant f/4. On the prime side, it struggles with the 35 macro which is f/2.8.

The focusing issues don't seem to be limited to low ambient light. I had issues with the 17-70 in full daylight. This discovery caused me to dig deeper.

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
Remember that at 55mm, the kit is only f5.6. That isn't much light for it to work with, especially indoors.

03-13-2012, 09:55 AM   #68
Inactive Account

I would return it...why struggle with something you are not satisfied with, your use shows it to be dissapointing, with flaws that keep it from meeting your expectations? Working around them sure could be a solution, but why should you have to?...are the advantages worth it?

Maybe the issue(s) will get straightened out, and it'll be worth a revisit.

Life is too short to settle.
03-13-2012, 09:59 AM   #69
Veteran Member

Original Poster
My wife loves the cam with either of our 40s. It seemed like a great complement to our K5. We might punt for now and sit on the sidelines for a bit.

I'm beginning to wonder if the only way to do mirrorless right is with dedicated, optimized lenses. Perhaps the K-01 is a flawed concept. Way too soon to draw this kind of conclusion but it has occured to me.

QuoteOriginally posted by jmg257 Quote
I would return it...why struggle with something you are not satisfied with, your use shows it to be dissapointing, with flaws that keep it from meeting your expectations? Working around them sure could be a solution, but why should you have to?...are the advantages worth it?

Maybe the issue(s) will get straightened out, and it'll be worth a revisit.

Life is too short to settle.
03-13-2012, 10:06 AM   #70
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by krebsy97 Quote
This is true but it struggles with the 17-70 as well which is constant f/4. On the prime side, it struggles with the 35 macro which is f/2.8.

The focusing issues don't seem to be limited to low ambient light. I had issues with the 17-70 in full daylight. This discovery caused me to dig deeper.
It may have trouble with the slower lenses, but I don't think all fast lenses will work the same with the CDAF. I understand that the 35 F2.8 macro has a long focus throw because it is a macro lens. In addition, some of the older Pentax lens designs don't perform very well in CDAF, I believe. So some lenses perform great (35 F2.4), some ok (the limited primes), and some not so good (35 F2.8 macro).

It would be great to figure out as a collective group which lenses perform wonderfully on the K-01.
03-13-2012, 10:11 AM   #71

Struggle...

Struggle at all times or struggle in a dark room? Personally, I think too much emphasis is being made on autofocus speed and not on image quality - which is this camera's real strength. (I couldn't care less about autofocus speed, but I think I've made that obvious.)
03-13-2012, 10:16 AM   #72
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
My wife loves the cam with either of our 40s. It seemed like a great complement to our K5. We might punt for now and sit on the sidelines for a bit.

I'm beginning to wonder if the only way to do mirrorless right is with dedicated, optimized lenses. Perhaps the K-01 is a flawed concept. Way too soon to draw this kind of conclusion but it has occured to me.
When I look at the video review here (nice one, btw), it seems like the K-01 focus speed/lock in low light is going to be roughly similar to my Ricoh GXR. It isn't bad, but it is worlds away from the latest, fastest CDAF optimized systems.

So, maybe my expectation is a little lower... I just plan to use the K-01 is situations that are well lit (or plan on using snap focus, etc.) and that do not require a quick AF lock. I will keep using my m4/3 kit for those situations (as others will probably keep using their DSLRs).
03-13-2012, 10:26 AM   #73
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Keep in mind that the point of this thread was to communicate my discovery that the K5 in LV was able to lock focus more consistently than the K-01. It's slower, but was more successful locking. This leads me to believe that the technology is there for the K-01 to perform better. It's just frustrating when the cam gives up and displays a red box.
03-13-2012, 10:30 AM   #74
Veteran Member

Keep in mind that the point of this thread was to communicate my discovery that the K5 in LV was able to lock focus more consistently than the K-01. It's slower, but was more successful locking. This leads me to believe that the technology is there for the K-01 to perform better. It's just frustrating when the cam gives up and displays a red box.
Heh, I can imagine how you feel, my k-x is terrible.

I hope that a lot of the focus issues being brought up will be solved by firmware soon. As much as we think it's silly to complain about a CDAF system being used indoors in low-light on subjects with not too much contrast, your typical entry level user buying this camera will have no idea why the camera is not locking focus.

I'm just glad that the camera has quite a good focus peaking system, and focus peaking works in AF mode to pair with quick-shift lenses.
03-13-2012, 10:32 AM   #75
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
Gee.....this is all shocking to me......a low priced camera that doesn't focus like a D800? Looks like Pentax screwed us again?

You have your problems, I have mine......my little X10 has a problem with Orbs about once in every 2-3K shots....and over in the Fuji Forum people are jumping off of bridges. I'll just keep on shooting, and if you're smart, you will too! Heck, I'm not even all that smart, and I figured that out!

Regards!
Well, Fuji appears to be replacing the X10 sensor for the people who have problems, must be overreacting I suppose, since it's clearly a non-issue.